Shunosaurus: Armoured Sauropod with a Tail club

IMG_3921.jpg

Artwork by Riskybiscuits 

Species: Shunosaurus jiangyiensis

Time: Late Jurassic

Diet: Herbivore

Temperament: Passive

Wild

Shunosaurus is a smaller species of Sauropod often found wandering the green zone on the ark in small herds they are quite different from most sauropod species due to their shorter necks however to make up for this they have gained a remarkable new adaptation a large bony club at the end of its tail very similar to what the ankylosaurs have. This tail club is incredibly dense and is able to shatter next to anything from stone, metal and the bones of hostile creatures. In spite of it’s deadly weapon though the shunosaurus is quite passive and will most often ignore other creatures as it cares for it’s small herd and munches on plantlife

Domesticated

In order to tame a shunosaurus a survivor must gain it’s trust which is incredibly difficult to do as the shunosaurus pretty much only trusts members of it’s herd the best way I find to get it to trust you is to save it’s life I once saved a shunosaurus being attacked by a pack of ravagers and it quickly bonded to me as a result. Once tamed the shunosaurus becomes one of the best creatures around for mining as its large build allows it to carry an insane amount of weight and it’s tail club is incredibly effective at harvesting raw materials. Not to mention it can use a special platform saddle that comes with a built in Industrial forge allowing you to quickly smelt any metal gathered. The shunosaurus also makes for an incredibly powerful defensive mount thanks to it’s incredibly strong tail it can block and parry attacks even being able to send some flying back like a baseball bat hitting a ball.

Abilities

• Tail whip attack the attack has massive range due to the long tail of the Shunosaurus and has a chance to inflict a new status effect
  • Can swing it’s head to be used as a second blunt force weapon
  • Can cause a new status effect broken bones this causes the effected creature to be briefly stunned and then move incredibly slowly for a short period
  • Can grab and throw creatures using it's tail by Impaling them with it's club spikes largest creatures it can pick up are Carnos and Chalicos
  • Can collect resources with it's tail whip attack like the anky
  • Has a new buff similar to the pack buffs of the direwolves and allos this will be called the herd buff and causes the damage resistance of the Shunosauruses to increase and gives them a damage buff and movement speed increase
  • Has a Platform saddle but this one comes with a Forge built in so any metal collected can instantly be smelted
  • Can damage stone structures with it's tail attack
  • Saddle can melt down items back to their base components such as flak gear back to metal, hide etc
  • Has Bony plates and osteoderms on it’s back giving it extra damage resistance from behind
  • Can crush element ore and convert it into element dust
  • Can block and parry attacks using it’s tail bouncing back projectile attacks such as rockets, boulders, magmasaur fireballs etc and countering melee attacks however this attack has a cooldown period to prevent spamming
  • Resistance to all forms of radiation and energy allowing it to survive in the most hostile environments including the surface on aberration 
  • Has a massive weight reduction of 90% on raw materials such as metal, Stone, wood etc
  • Can gather metal, stone, obsidian, crystal, all types of gems and element ore with it's tail attack
  • Can gather berries, wood, thatch and fiber with it's head swing attack

Taming Method

In order to tame the shunosaurus you must gain it’s trust by saving it from being attacked when you approach it you can feed it veggie cakes the shuno will then take a liking to you and start to follow you however hordes of nameless and ravagers will begin to arrive and will start to attack the shuno kill all of the attacking creatures and the shuno will be tamed and the more health it has by the end of the horde attack the higher the taming effectiveness will be

Edited by Dpooly69
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As someone who helped out a bit with this concept I really hope it does well. I love the mobile forge and Element Ore crushing aspects, and that design has gotta the best sauropod design I've seen in these votes. Will definitely be upvoting (once I can get rid of this Early Bird rank lol).

Edit: This post actually gave me the rank. How convenient.

Edited by VaporVenator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like the utility of this guy. It’s difficult to effectively harvest metal, stone, and wood on this map since many of the good harvesters are slow and not particularly strong.

I also like the taming method, but I think it needs work. Saving it repeatedly from Dino’s would take an eternity, and would encourage you to aggro enemies from afar and bring them to it, which is counterintuitive to building trust. Additionally, large aggressive Dino’s are virtually nonexistent in the green zone and you would never encounter a reaper or rock drake there. 

But I still really like the trust mechanic, so maybe having a mini OSD event and defending it from that would work. You’d have to trigger it somehow, like by giving the shuno a sweet veggie cake. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LordSaladin16 said:

I really like the utility of this guy. It’s difficult to effectively harvest metal, stone, and wood on this map since many of the good harvesters are slow and not particularly strong.

I also like the taming method, but I think it needs work. Saving it repeatedly from Dino’s would take an eternity, and would encourage you to aggro enemies from afar and bring them to it, which is counterintuitive to building trust. Additionally, large aggressive Dino’s are virtually nonexistent in the green zone and you would never encounter a reaper or rock drake there. 

But I still really like the trust mechanic, so maybe having a mini OSD event and defending it from that would work. You’d have to trigger it somehow, like by giving the shuno a sweet veggie cake. 

That's a good point about the taming method I like the idea you gave about a mini OSD event thanks dude 

Just now, Rluedeath said:

i think it's a great idea but it doesn't had anything to the aberration map and it could have been on many other 

I put it on Abb because it's the only map where fliers aren't around so you can't rely on the classic Anky/Quetzel ramp method to farm an insane amount of metal and obsidian and the methods that do exist on the map aren't very effective in comparison so I figured it was about time Abb got a metal harvesting dino of it's own that can actually do it effectively and defend itself while not being sluggish like the anky 

3 minutes ago, Dpooly69 said:

I put it on Abb because it's the only map where fliers aren't around so you can't rely on the classic Anky/Quetzel ramp method to farm an insane amount of metal and obsidian and the methods that do exist on the map aren't very effective in comparison so I figured it was about time Abb got a metal harvesting dino of it's own that can actually do it effectively and defend itself while not being sluggish like the anky 

it's smart nothing to add

Edited by Rluedeath