Maip macrothorax - Ark's Endgame Megaraptor - Final Revision for Scorched Earth

14 hours ago, TanukiiTricks said:

I think scrapping all the previous abilities (Being a gatherer, having default claw buffs, etc) and keeping it as just a Wyvern killer (With the talon buffs, hating Wyverns, etc) it would make this creature very cool, unique and stand out more from other predators! :OO

A taming idea for this guy could be giving them one of the Wyvern Talons and then going out and killing the exact type of Wyvern with said Maip (If you give them a Fire Talon, you have to go out and kill only Fire Wyverns), after killing a certain amount of Wyverns and you both surviving, they would be tamed! ^^

I liked this idea so much, I implemented it into the main post! I now have a section for a unique taming method for it. I gave you credit in the main post for the idea.

On 4/8/2023 at 11:19 AM, StapDog said:

As much as I like this idea I know there are too many medium sized theropods in the game. Examples: Carno ,Allo , Megalo, Baryonyx and the yuty. The abilities are original but maybe it would be more intresting if it was something else than an medium sized theropod.

Carnos aren't good. Megalos are really only good on Aberration, Yuty is only for buffing, Allos arent that great and Baryonyx aren't on and wouldnt be good on scorched earth. This could be a great addition for Scorched Earth, it fits the map with its unique theme and its something that could actually be used often on the map. 

I get what you mean by a lot of theropods, but some are garbage or situational. This could really shine on scorched and bring new light to the map, although some more touches could be made to fit the map.

ABILITIES

A spin or tail attack that whips up a cloud of sand blinding enemies temporarily, possibly also slowing/confusing them. Could also be made a ranged sand throw attack using the tail. More effective in a sandstorm.

A tail slam attack that makes a fissure or some sort of quake, being ranged but only effects enemies on the ground. Imagine being on the Megaraptor behind a friendly rex fighting something, doing damage through the ground at the enemy within 10 foundations distance or so.

Giving it a boost to harvesting cactus just for a little more utility would also be nice.

Edited by hotboxhunter

Like, I pretty much like the concept of it being a wyvern competitor/killer

Id just add simpler taming, making it tamed by passive/knock and being feed with wyvern eggs instead. 

Id like the theme of it being an agile high jumping creature so it can raid wyvern nests, but I would add Some Kind of extra air maneuvering capability so it can actually face the wyverns in a better way(inside the trenches)-

something like being able to shoot some Kind of acid shooting so it feels like a back and forth duel against the wyverns breath would be fun and give it extra utility.

(maybe it could slow them making it easier for them to be taken down with the Crippling Slash) 

Since it would be such a good tame I expect Its taming to be pretty difficult but I dont See this as a good(tame while riding)

Ahhh i Love the design thats shown in your Dossier and hope thats the one implemented if it wins.

Both the Moa and the Maip fit so well Id love to See them both added. 

Edited by Okapi04
Misstype

On 4/8/2023 at 11:51 AM, TSReaper said:

kaprosuchus93, this is not a giga #3, Maip was no where near the size of a giga, it was more near the size of a carno ti the size of an allo, also, this creature is reserved a unique niche that seperates it from other therapods, as well as it being our first megaraptoran if it wins the vote, and comes to ark

Talk to Carcharodontosaurus about that.

This is probably the only rideable theropod concept I like this vote. 

"Ark has too many theropods... blah blah"

I don't care. The snippity snappity byird lizards are cool. 

Now I agree with some other people this is a bit much. But simultaneously its not too much.

The only criticism I can offer is perhaps removing the visceral/bleed/crushing ability. Or at least make it simpler.

The wyvern talon and dodowyern mask abilities are awesome. (How Would crystal wyvern talons interact in the future?)

I like the jumping, the flyer knock and all that. But the C/stick attack could be a little less. 

I think something like simply making that attack a dodge/lunge could be cool. Not an attack just something for mobility. The charged version of this could be some kind of scythe clawed slap or tail slap that "knocks the wind out off flyers" but mechanically just stam drains them. 

Now that criticism is over here's my ridiculous tanget of some extra ideas. 

Just a few. 

- the alpha fire wyvern trophy.

Maybe this could be equipped like the talons but would astetically have a wyvern skull sit on top of the maip's head maybe being a stronger version of the fire talon mode. 

- crystal talons. 

Since crystal talons are general and not specific to tropic, blood, or ember maybe this talon acts as some kind of defensive buff instead or slower attack speeds that hit harder. Maybe coating the horns/claws in crystal.

- alpha crystal talons

There are only alpha blood crystal wyverns so maybe a lesser version of the blood curse, corpse healing, or a basic bleed could be the effect from this talon. 

- wyvern queen.

That could look like crystal version of the alpha trophy's effect with the skull and could functionally work like the dodowyvern. Causing either a stacking fire effect, or attack speed boost for ember. 25-50% power version of the aquatic buff for tropic and the previous concepts for blood. 

That is all. I like this concept as medium theropod completely designed around wyvern killing and secondarily as a flyer counter. 

I can see "It's John Cena" edits already if this thing could jump up and smack flyers to the ground.  

Great concept and good luck fellow entry person. I won't leave my entry here as I mistakenly did a few times already in conversation.

On 4/11/2023 at 2:21 PM, kaprosuchus93 said:

Talk to Carcharodontosaurus about that.

Is this supposed to be a comeback? The charca is a relative if the giga that was close in size even in real life. on the other hand the real megaraptor was about 2 meters tall (between 6 and 7 feet) This thing size wise would be about equal to ark's raptors and baryonyx if it kept a realistic size. Even super buffed up it would barely come close to allos without being completely nonsensical. 

If this wins it won't be another giga. Not even another rex. Think more like bary sized elemental raptors that hate everything that flies. 

3 hours ago, DJ4275 said:

Is this supposed to be a comeback? The charca is a relative if the giga that was close in size even in real life. on the other hand the real megaraptor was about 2 meters tall (between 6 and 7 feet) This thing size wise would be about equal to ark's raptors and baryonyx if it kept a realistic size. Even super buffed up it would barely come close to allos without being completely nonsensical. 

If this wins it won't be another giga. Not even another rex. Think more like bary sized elemental raptors that hate everything that flies. 

I see this more like a desert deinonychus

On 4/7/2023 at 10:29 PM, NerdyGremlin said:

If this were to win, I would very much worry it would just be standard, large carnivore #13. 

I don't hate it and think it's pretty neat, but the potential problems prevent me from voting it very high for final voting process. That is if it makes the top 10. 

They added new Features, check it out

I could see this guy working like trinity in dino stalker. It would live with other raptors like oviraptor, troodon, raptor. And once it would agro on you it's pack would all run at you, even the oviraptor. That deserty canyon area where you find bee hives would be a cool spot for these guys and their pack to spawn.

awesome idea! i love this design and i think it would be an interesting idea to add to the game. the only problem i have with this design if any is that the creature vote is for historically accurate creatures and i'm concerned that the taming method needs to be more universal (you can borrow my idea for taming from the obsieobuthus platform-utility-scorpion)and dodo-wyvern-fury ability are not perfectly accurate. my only other greivance is that it might not fit in on ark survival ascended since this will be the first creature added to the game and we don't yet know if wyverns are available on the new arks for that game. again i love this idea i'm just hesitant to give it an upvote because it doesn't follow the guidelines exactly ancd it may not be tamable on new arks. if you can fix that you've got my vote and my support!

Just one extra idea… I think it should be able to buff other raptors that are near it (but only regular raptors) as the mega raptor would be seen as their “leader”.

This would help make raptors more useful… 

Buff: All raptors near the megaraptor deal double damage, though enemy raptors would fear it so would have a half damage de buff if near the megaraptor.

To further counter wyverns, and manticore too… the mega raptor could have its secondary attack become its basic attack and the button replaced with a “spike shot” where it shoots a spike at its target which would pierce through any armour/defence making it deadly in PvP and manticore fighting!

2 hours ago, Arcaderock24 said:

Just one extra idea… I think it should be able to buff other raptors that are near it (but only regular raptors) as the mega raptor would be seen as their “leader”.

This would help make raptors more useful… 

Buff: All raptors near the megaraptor deal double damage, though enemy raptors would fear it so would have a half damage de buff if near the megaraptor.

To further counter wyverns, and manticore too… the mega raptor could have its secondary attack become its basic attack and the button replaced with a “spike shot” where it shoots a spike at its target which would pierce through any armour/defence making it deadly in PvP and manticore fighting!

I was thinking about giving it a Venom Throw(with a slow effect)

So he can deal with the wyverns in a more easy manner, it would make sense that they developed this behaviour specifically for them, they dont have Spikes its not like dinos abilities are realistic anyways but I think Id just change it to venom

(and if you want it for Bosses maybe you could add in total hp damage but im not very deep to balancing tho) I think the slow effect would make it actually very good