Using greenhouse structures for as regular structure

NukeZX

I was wondering, after june 22, if the new snow biome is live ~assuming it goes Live on that date~, I might move back to my first base, and maybe do a rebuild, while tearing down the old one.

Thinking of using only greenhouse structures and metal. I have seen screenshots of ppl using the greenhouse modules for interior walls and ceilings + ramps. (mods?)

Of course they have poor hitpoints, but it opens up a lot of new designs for me.

I plan to use some as window and outer ceilings so some daylight can come in. (and to have a great view looking outside)

Can greenhouse sloped roofs be used as ramps and normal roofs as floor tiles to walk on?

Only have to worry about argentavis' who used to visit my base there pretty often if it works.

if so: will building glass structures in a snow biome have more downsides then normal metal/stone? Don't know how the coding for glass works as insulation is concerned.

(Just asking this up front as metal/paste is pretty costly for me)

Edit: using greenhouse modules as exterior walls, well, I understand they have a 4d timer so not a good idea besides the poor HP. But maybe just for interior design?

2 hours ago, NukeZX said:

Can greenhouse sloped roofs be used as ramps and normal roofs as floor tiles to walk on?

yes, if it is interior. my friend had hatchery made like this before new biome announcement, and that with metal looked cool, like a scientific lab.

2 hours ago, NukeZX said:

Only have to worry about argentavis' who used to visit my base there pretty often if it works.

wild argents are the real problem for greenhouse, I already lost few structures because of them. now I use plants x to distract argys from my house

You can build anything you want with the glass really, I had a raised greenhouse where we used ceilings as floors the same way you would any of the other ceilings.  These things are super, super, super weak obviously, so if you are on a pvp server or if there are trolls around, i'd strongly recommend against it.  They do make very cool structures though.  

I'll say this.  We had a decent sized greenhouse, I don't remember the exact dimensions, but it was raised, and pretty big.  Fully glass.  It got taken out by ONE swing of a bronto tail.  It was a wild bronto that glitched through our gate.  

12 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

Just don't punch by mistake anywhere near the glass portions.  :D

Heavy fingers here. :P 

I spend quite a few parachutes while accidentally pressing E while flying or punch randomly.

So maybe glass isn't the thing for me if it is that easy to break lol. Might be better to just use metal railings as windowed wall.

31 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Well, I just tried to arrange things so that I wasn't having to hit E while I was standing right next to one to operate something.  As long as you're always on the other side of a piece of equipment you're usually fine (the glass is out of arms reach). 

Skylights especially are pretty safe to use.

It's my own fault though, when I have time for gaming and am online I am always on EVE Online TS-comms to coordinate battles and fight campaigns, so I get input from at least 2 games at once. xD

And listening in I sometimes press a button or make a mouseclick I shouldn't. At least not in ARK. :P

On ‎10‎-‎6‎-‎2016 at 6:15 PM, Janx said:

I built a nice house on a cliff ledge by the Ruins with glass walls, stone floors/ceilings.  The glass walls gave it the "posh" look I was going for.

obviously not suitable for all areas, but I was in a secure location and this was meant to be my home, not work shop, etc.

Well, I tried it, as ceiling/floor it looks great, looking through the floors, amazing sight.

I can't do exterior walls with it because yeah, they are on the same timer as thatch and not being ingame for 4d and there is a 99% chance then that your greenhouse walls are destroyed by ppl that just want to grief or come in and see if there's anything not locked down.

Still 1 disappointment though; I couldn't get 2 sloped GH ceilings connect to make a 2-piece ramp out of it.

Also, I currently just use it in the walkways. The 100 HP on a GH tile makes me rethink putting stations or boxes on it. :) 

I might consider to use it as a upper floor in my dino garage. Easy to see if there are any eggs upstairs. B|

Archived