Budget Laptop For Ark?

• Volunteer Moderator
20 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

Consoles are basically PC's , but the reason their price is low is because the hardware sellers are not making a profit on the consoles themselves.  They make their money on the games and services they sell you after you have a console.   Console makers also lower their costs by making lots and lots of units.   The more they buy all at once, the more they save on component costs because of the volume they purchase. There is no laptop or PC that will come close to the horsepower inside a console at that price.   

This. The Xbox Series X plays the game as good and in some cases better than many PCs. You just lose access to mods.

I just remember a time when gaming consoles were relatively simple, that's all.  I looked up info on the ps4 and was surprised by how complicated it was.  I remember a time when you just bought the game, put it in, and had fun playing.  But now... so many updates and downloads and whatnot.  They are so complicated! 

If I just knew how to use a modern console, I'd consider it.  I know that Ark requires downloads, regardless of system (if you want to get off the island).  I have no idea how that works, though.  I wish I did.  What is the process of downloading Ark on a console, anyway?  Do you need an account?  I just wish I could buy the game and play it, like back in the old days.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Volunteer Moderator
16 hours ago, ObstinateSparrow said:

I just remember a time when gaming consoles were relatively simple, that's all.  I looked up info on the ps4 and was surprised by how complicated it was.  I remember a time when you just bought the game, put it in, and had fun playing.  But now... so many updates and downloads and whatnot.  They are so complicated! 

If I just knew how to use a modern console, I'd consider it.  I know that Ark requires downloads, regardless of system (if you want to get off the island).  I have no idea how that works, though.  I wish I did.  What is the process of downloading Ark on a console, anyway?  Do you need an account?  I just wish I could buy the game and play it, like back in the old days.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well it's still like that but the powers that be (Microsoft/Sony) have made sure they bleed you dry any way they can.

You don't buy games on CDROM anymore. You will have to set up an account with them and pay ($5-15) a month to play games online. Without that account you can't play or do much of anything. Someone has to pay for their infrastructure and networks.

It's still far more simple than managing a PC though (drivers, bugs, updates, cooling, bugs, OS updates, New OSs every year or so, anti-virus, bugs, new graphics cards every 12-18 months...  most of those cost more than a console).

With a console, once you are set up, you just download the game and go. It will update itself when needed. Console gaming has come a long way over the years. Both in ease of use and the quality of gaming.

It's not for everybody. PC gaming has a lot of benefits, much more customization and options. I work all day on a PC, I don't want to sit and game on one after hours. I like to sit on my comfortable couch and play on my 85" TV with a full surround system. I could buy all of that for my PC as well but then I'd have to do it twice, meh. 

Sounds to me like they've taken a huge leap backwards.  So I've come to the conclusion that for us old-fashioned folk, the best (and only) choice is to play Ark on the Switch.  Sure it's glitchy and the graphics are a mess, but it requires no downloads whatsoever (there aren't any).  And if I use the console command prevviewmode (yes, with two v's), I can actually see what's going on.  Also, the Island is the best Ark map out of all of them (mainly by being the only map).  The other maps aren't worth buying.  I'm fine with that.  They've taken what could have been a wonderful game and ruined it.  (Actually, this is true of a lot of console games.)

Nothing is made to last.  I'll be the fox and assume that the grapes that are out of reach are sour and not worth eating.  If the game isn't on Switch, or ps2, GameCube, 3ds, Sega Saturn, or Sega Genesis, it just isn't worth playing, no matter what anyone says.  No game is worth that level of aggravation.  Just as soon as I would download something, the system would crash and get its hard drive fried.  That's what happens to most of my computers, anyway.  Then I'd get angry, and soon, the console would be a memory.

Sorry about the rant, but I've had a lot on my mind.  I feel better just being able to say this.

• 2 months later...

Archived