an unpopular opinion?

Recently on my regular (pve) server, the land-richest tribe was asked why they had so much pillared and the answer began something like "we've been on this server for nine months and . . . "

So the game mechanics basically create a society of "first to get there (or the one who plays 12hr a day) rules it til they get lazy or quit, and the rest get to beg for scraps." 

I for one don't like that one little bit. I tend to think that if I pay for a game and you pay for a game and we play on a shared server, we should have (relatively) equal opportunity and access in all aspects of the game, (mostly) regardless of when when we each began.

But that realistically will never happen, especially on pve servers in a game designed for pvp.

My conclusion: if you can't get in day 1 on a new server and/or play 8hr+ every day, this game (in pve at least) isn't for you. (& tbh not just this game but most "social" games online)

I think that will be the focus of my steam review when I get around to it. in the meantime, I'd like to hear some other opinions in case there's something I've failed to consider.

That comment of that tribe is BS.

But they are right about the fact "first come, first serve" as far as claiming land is reserved.

You just have to wait for that spot to become available.

I switched to a 2nd PVE server a month or so after it was launched, the best spots were obviosuly taken.

I just settled somewhere, made it my home.

Because of player retention countless better spots became available, and even some of the spots I intended to claim.

So I would advise to just do your thing and wait till such a player burns out/gets bored and leaves the game, then claim his spot.

But some ppl claim ridiculous large pieces of land.

I know a player that stone pillared like 20-30-40? stacks high around a entire mountain and surrounding area (the Frozen Tooth mountain and the flat lands to the Frozen fang mountian) while he has a small base nearby, if you fly in and mine there and he is ingame, prepare for a "What are you doing on MY mountain? Noone is allowed to farm there but ME!!! I have been here since day 1!!" flame war.

4 hours ago, NukeZX said:

if you fly in and mine there and he is ingame, prepare for a "What are you doing on MY mountain? Noone is allowed to farm there but ME!!! I have been here since day 1!!" flame war.

I'd be tempted to follow him around and ask annoying questions for hours. Sing nursery rhymes, badly. Serenade him in his little base. Just hang out there and be annoying ALL THE TIME... 

If the game is going to give you extensive freedom....to tame Dinos, build bases, conduct tribal and guerrilla warfare(PVP), and so on....then you also have the freedom to be a productive member of society or a major abusive jerk and the many ranges in between. 

If someone starts before you and plays more than you, they will likely have more stuff, better stuff and choice locations. 

Is this fair?  Yes 

Is this right?  Depends on your point of view. 

If you are going to play Offical, then you have choices;

Stay where you are until you have an opportunity arise

Stay where you are until you get fed up and quit. 

Keep trying different servers until you find like minded individuals. 

Leave officals and try Unofficials with responsible admins. 

Dealing with the general public in an anonymous online game is not for the feint of heart. ;)

Why shouldn't someone that plays more and got there first have more than you? They should. If you're late to the party, you just have to fight a bit harder to get what you want. If you don't have much time, join a larger tribe. It's really simple.

I used to be in a tribe with a dude that played about 1h 30m a day. He didn't have much time to do much Ark stuff, but when he was on, he got to have all of the fun because we were already taming dinos, farming, etc. He was able to level up by using tribe Rexs to go hunting.

Ark comes down to a survival of the fittest attitude, and if you've got more time and dedication to the game, you're going to be "fitter". It's just the way it is.

It's a pain.  I think on the official servers it can get ridiculous for the amount of land people cordon off.  I was in a PvP server and it wasn't that it was still full, just that every bit of flat land had pillars from long gone tribes.  A bigger more active tribe will need more space, but in PvE you don't need an army.  Finding like minded folk is the key to many online games, took me a while, and it was an an unofficial server.  If you want details, ping me a PM, but it's friendly and there's space.

The grind of some online games does get on my tits, Ark doesn't have that with the right folk.

1 hour ago, zken said:

Why shouldn't someone that plays more and got there first have more than you? They should. If you're late to the party, you just have to fight a bit harder to get what you want. If you don't have much time, join a larger tribe. It's really simple.

I used to be in a tribe with a dude that played about 1h 30m a day. He didn't have much time to do much Ark stuff, but when he was on, he got to have all of the fun because we were already taming dinos, farming, etc. He was able to level up by using tribe Rexs to go hunting.

Ark comes down to a survival of the fittest attitude, and if you've got more time and dedication to the game, you're going to be "fitter". It's just the way it is.

That was part of my point lol

Of course those who establish sooner and play more have more. That's perfectly fair and right.

To a point.

It's when those who have more come to have so much (with no limitations) that there's nothing good left for others that the problem arises.

And I can't speak for anyone else but as far as I'm concerned any game in which I have to submit to someone else's leadership to have a legitimate chance to meet my own goals in the game sucks.

34 minutes ago, MavisCruet said:

just that every bit of flat land had pillars from long gone tribes.  A bigger more active tribe will need more space, but in PvE you don't need an army.

I had that the other day with a displease dnew player on the server. He wanted to build in a spot where a abandoned base stood.

Pillaged: yes ofc, but all the walls and foundations were still there.

Complained about lack of builing space. The base was abandoned and allowed for destruction!

'why we didn't tear it down for new players...', and the guy logged out while raging on the chat, and no doubt came to these- + STEAM forums to complain about lack of building space while he had a prime spot which he wanted to build on, but was too lazy to destroy himself.

I am not going to spend hours to search the grass for hundreds of abandoned fence foundations and destroy a alreayd looted base. If I did that it was to free up resources+ dino spawns.

A little effort from the new player is imo not too much to ask. That's not our job, WC should add a auto-destruction timer x-time after all timers have run out.

About the don't need an army on PVE servers.

The amount of space claimed on PVE servers is often the same, if not more then on PVP servers.

Many players build their houses and garages away from their perimeter wall, to be safe from the agro range from for example alphas or gigas.

Not to forget the massive dino kibble factories.

7 hours ago, NukeZX said:

You just have to wait for that spot to become available 

. . .

So I would advise to just do your thing and wait till such a player burns out/gets bored and leaves the game

I see your point but there's no way in hell I would commit to that.

Maybe it's just me, but I want a game in which I can achieve end-stage goals. For me that means a nice base in a scenic spot with decent access to resources.

As it stands now, my only path to what I want is to eff around with my thumb up my ass eyeballing pillars until some other group of people fails to log in for two straight weeks.

Ain't worth it, not by a long shot.

3 minutes ago, orionwinterfire said:

I see your point but there's no way in hell I would commit to that.

Maybe it's just me, but I want a game in which I can achieve end-stage goals. For me that means a nice base in a scenic spot with decent access to resources.

As it stands now, my only path to what I want is to eff around with my thumb up my ass eyeballing pillars until some other group of people fails to log in for two straight weeks.

Ain't worth it, not by a long shot.

Then it is time to move on.

On the server I play on it is mostly 2 months before a tribe calls it a day and leaves.

and I can't believe all spots near resources are taken. On all servers I logged in to there were spots free.

And about the endstage > everything else comment...it could be your 'type' of gamer that needs endgame.

Personally I am not  a player that looks at endgame as soon as I log in, I am more enjoying the 'journey to....' rather then a 'endgame'.

I don't want to skip 99% of a game and rush to 'endgame' only to find out it is boring. (low blow to Blizzard here)

And I wanted to build on THE perfect spot on the Island. I arrived 1 month after the server launched. The spot was taken. Too bad, I built a nice base on the beach on the Southern Shores. the spot I initially wanted became available a number of times. But I am so attached to my freak base which I expanded from a thatch cabin to partially stone/metal now, I wouldn't want to leave it anymore in the first place.

I think in the end I would recommend you find an unofficial server to play on until release. After that perhaps they will wipe or offer fresh servers for the release where this will be less of an issue. Note I said less, the only way to avoid it entirely is starting an unofficial or joining one that is actively run not just administered.

2 hours ago, orionwinterfire said:

You forgot "play single player local" lol

Hmm. Did I come off a bit snarky? That was unintentional. I was trying to be logical in a conversation that can get emotional.  

I have a private server, due to these very reasons, so I get your frustration. I don't play well with others. :) 

1 hour ago, NukeZX said:

Then it is time to move on.

On the server I play on it is mostly 2 months before a tribe calls it a day and leaves.

and I can't believe all spots near resources are taken. On all servers I logged in to there were spots free.

And about the endstage > everything else comment...it could be your 'type' of gamer that needs endgame.

Personally I am not  a player that looks at endgame as soon as I log in, I am more enjoying the 'journey to....' rather then a 'endgame'.

I don't want to skip 99% of a game and rush to 'endgame' only to find out it is boring. (low blow to Blizzard here)

And I wanted to build on THE perfect spot on the Island. I arrived 1 month after the server launched. The spot was taken. Too bad, I built a nice base on the beach on the Southern Shores. the spot I initially wanted became available a number of times. But I am so attached to my freak base which I expanded from a thatch cabin to partially stone/metal now, I wouldn't want to leave it anymore in the first place.

Yeah it probably is time to move on. I'm not quite ready to leave my work behind, so I'm giving it a bit more time just in case something changes.

To clarify, not all spots near resources are completely blocked. Most (not all ) area within convenient land reach of metal are. The spots with inspiring views are gone too. The entire (ENTIRE) snow biome too.

I don't want to skip to endgame either. But 500+ hours in and just got our first q (just in time for platform nerf yay). So what I want is -my- endgame: a place to be my home away from home. A happy place to escape to after a tough day a work (which is most days). A place with scenery, a view, and enough resources and creature nearby that I can stay busy without having to fly.

A tall order? Yeah probably. I wish I had realized that before I spent (wasted) so many hours. It makes me a bit sick in the stomach honestly. 

9 hours ago, NukeZX said:

That comment of that tribe is BS.

But they are right about the fact "first come, first serve" as far as claiming land is reserved.

You just have to wait for that spot to become available.

I switched to a 2nd PVE server a month or so after it was launched, the best spots were obviosuly taken.

I just settled somewhere, made it my home.

Because of player retention countless better spots became available, and even some of the spots I intended to claim.

So I would advise to just do your thing and wait till such a player burns out/gets bored and leaves the game, then claim his spot.

But some ppl claim ridiculous large pieces of land.

I know a player that stone pillared like 20-30-40? stacks high around a entire mountain and surrounding area (the Frozen Tooth mountain and the flat lands to the Frozen fang mountian) while he has a small base nearby, if you fly in and mine there and he is ingame, prepare for a "What are you doing on MY mountain? Noone is allowed to farm there but ME!!! I have been here since day 1!!" flame war.

That would become the only spot i farmed just to troll him.

1 hour ago, Theocrates said:

I think in the end I would recommend you find an unofficial server to play on until release. After that perhaps they will wipe or offer fresh servers for the release where this will be less of an issue. Note I said less, the only way to avoid it entirely is starting an unofficial or joining one that is actively run not just administered.

That's a good recommendation, but not for me I'm afraid. I won't trust someone else's administration of a server, and won't/borderline can't commit the time to running one myself.

So it's either play alone and deal with the limitations of doing that or find a new game.

50 minutes ago, FireStormRising said:

Hmm. Did I come off a bit snarky? That was unintentional. I was trying to be logical in a conversation that can get emotional.  

I have a private server, due to these very reasons, so I get your frustration. I don't play well with others. :) 

Nono, no snark detected. Your voice of reason is appreciated! I myself often get worked up too easily. As I can judge by getting warning points (for typing a synonym for penis I suppose).

4 hours ago, NukeZX said:

'why we didn't tear it down for new players...', and the guy logged out while raging on the chat, and no doubt came to these- + STEAM forums to complain about lack of building space while he had a prime spot which he wanted to build on, but was too lazy to destroy himself.

I am not sure how long it takes to destroy metal pillars with a stone hatchet, but I suspect it's going to be a pain in the bottom.  I haven't explored that many official servers, but te one I spent most of my time on was just rammed with constructions, most of them abandoned.  Trying to find somewhere even to start was hard enough.  So I don't think it's simply laziness.  

Nor do I think it other players jobs to demolish stuff that isn't theirs though.

51 minutes ago, n_scheffel said:

Unfortunately the whole point of PvE servers is to disallow any recourse against anything anyone ever does in the game. That's precisely why you chose a PvE server...to be safe from other players.

Fortunately, there has been talk by the devs about making changes to the decay timers based on things like proximity to other structures and how many things it is snapped to. In a game built from the ground up for PvP, it is going to be a very challenging balancing act for the devs I think.

Ya that's a tough job for sure. They may have been better off nuking pve altogether and making a more playable offline mode.

21 minutes ago, darqknite said:

This depends on the server. For example, I was on one of the older servers and everything was pillared, but for the most part if people asked  for land, the tribe owning it would free up space. Our tribe mostly tried to protect resources but gladly gave up land that did not ruin important areas.

And the server on which I've been playing isn't the worst about it. In fact I've seen many examples of great generosity there.

People really shouldn't have to ask permission to build, though.

11 minutes ago, orionwinterfire said:

And the server on which I've been playing isn't the worst about it. In fact I've seen many examples of great generosity there.

People really shouldn't have to ask permission to build, though.

I agree. But like many have said in this thread. Even the biggest of the tribes end up leaving. Frees up space. You can argue this both sides. Think I read on steam community someone suggesting a "structure concentration range" that would prevent individuals from building across the map. I do not think there is a good solution to this as of now besides waiting for them to get bored/leave"

34 minutes ago, darqknite said:

I agree. But like many have said in this thread. Even the biggest of the tribes end up leaving. Frees up space. You can argue this both sides. Think I read on steam community someone suggesting a "structure concentration range" that would prevent individuals from building across the map. I do not think there is a good solution to this as of now besides waiting for them to get bored/leave"

That's not a solution either lol

I'm gainfully employed and therefore have limited time to put into hobbies. Waiting in line (or server hopping) is not something I am willing to spend that time on.

Archived