dino levels and spawning

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, so forgive me (search function doesn't work on my mobile).

So, obviously, certain dino species spawn in certain places. 

And there is -some- connection between location and level (higher-level spawns in caves, for example).

What I'm wondering is how strong the location - level relationship is. 

I'm looking for a high (preferably max) level anky. I know a couple spawn on South Haven, and plenty in various spots up north. But if there is a pattern to the levels of the spawns, I could narrow my search a bit to make things quicker.

Any light you all can shed on this?

In my experience there is no correlation between spawn area and level, fly over the snow biome and you will see wolves mammoths and such ranging from level 4 to 120 (on non official)

The "southern beaches" area can have spawns of 120 dino's just as much as any where else.

I do think that the map gets "more difficult" as you move north only because the type of dino's become more dangerous.

As I understand it there are level ranges in caves, but its 100% random what level individual dino's will spawn in at.

I used to see higher spawns more in the north, but this time around on our server I have seen more 120s down south. I think alot of it depends on what is currently spawned in around it, if there is a 120 rex chomping on all low levels in the area, higher spawns will be coming in and getting away potentially, for example.

To sum it up, I used to think there were higher levels up north, but now I think it is 100% random.

honestly, i believe it's totally random

take direbears for example, i didn't have any spawn until i did an admincheat destroywilddinos

once i had direbears, the highest level i had was 92 i think... all the rest were 8-24, which was a bit crap. as such, admincheat destroywilddinos again, this time there's much more variety in the range of levels available. 

your best bet, if you're not seeing high levels of the species you want is to kill all the low level ones you see, then come back and check the respawns. or do a complete dino wipe.

Really notice this with things like Ankys, Argents & Rexes - the longer the server's been up, the more high level ones seem to be around - I guess the low level ones get eaten so the overall level spread moves upwards, which is also why it seems that there are more high level dinos in the North - I don't think more spawn there, but there are more big carnivores to eat the low level ones, just leaving the higher ones for us to find :-)

After continually scouting for high level animals, there seems to be no trend.  It seems to just be random.  Are you playing official server?  Non official?

What I do when searching for an animal, let's say a raptor.  Basically I am going to pick up every raptor I see, and if it's a low level, it gets killed.  Then I'll go to the next one, rinse and repeat.  Killing animals will allow new spawns, with the possibility of a higher level appearing.   If you're not, I would suggest killing the low level ankylos.

Best bet for ankylos is around the mountains in the north.  Not for any reason other than this is where they seem to be most abundant.  

On 5/4/2016 at 11:13 AM, Rippy said:

I used to see higher spawns more in the north, but this time around on our server I have seen more 120s down south. I think alot of it depends on what is currently spawned in around it, if there is a 120 rex chomping on all low levels in the area, higher spawns will be coming in and getting away potentially, for example.

To sum it up, I used to think there were higher levels up north, but now I think it is 100% random.

It's funny how much in common we have @Rippy

When I first began playing, I ran far north just below the snow area and setup base. I was afraid to leave my 4x4 wooden abode due to the high level dinos. After changing servers, and possibly after the recent update, I have noticed a lot more balance with the distribution of dino levels. That being said, I have never seen anything over level 50 on Herbie Island

Archived