I get ``Connection timeout´´ on all of my servers after update!

Allanballan

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deactivating it on our server did not fix it. I own the hardware and the OS and all, so I do not use a front-end. I manually edit configuration files and startup scripts. We enabled raw sockets (that is how Unreal Engine has ALWAYS worked prior to Ark) and pings were cut in half. However, even with the Wildcard method (no raw sockets) it fails to connect. I literally have a Cat6 cable to a switch, then another to the server here, and it times out. Wireshark captures show packets from myself on the LAN and friends from all over going into the server, but nothing happens. It is like the server process is not listening. Wonderful patch!

Since the patch today, you may experience connection timeout on some instances of your servers even after rebooting them. I have found a temporary workaround for this.

Simply spread the range of ports you are using for your servers.

ie.: Instead of using 7777, 7778 and 7779, use 7777, 7787 and 7797 for exemple

I can't explain it, but spreading the ports worked on all my 9 instances.

2 hours ago, Snalibe said:

Since the patch today, you may experience connection timeout on some instances of your servers even after rebooting them. I have found a temporary workaround for this.

Simply spread the range of ports you are using for your servers.

ie.: Instead of using 7777, 7778 and 7779, use 7777, 7787 and 7797 for exemple

I can't explain it, but spreading the ports worked on all my 9 instances.

I had the same issue with my 8 servers on a dedicated pc at home. I tried for several hours and could not join any of my servers. I took your advice and changed all ports to new ones much farther apart than I would have thought would be necessary, but it worked. All servers are up and running!! Thank you for your advice and troubleshooting!!!!

Hi,

I tried both solutions here:

• My bRawSockets is disabled/not added in the start command
  • I tried spreading the ports as well (also made sure they are port-forwarded)

I have a local dedicated server and it was working fine on Aberration before. Now whenever I log in I get the same "timeout connection".
Any ideas that I could try?

I'm also unable to join my dedicated private server as it ceased to appear in the  in the client's server list. This happened after the 311.79 update.
I get these new messages on the dedicated server:

SteamSocketsOpenSource: Gethostname failed ()
gethostname failed ()

Sighs... Why is everything so unnecessary problematic with this Wildcard company?

They postponed the release of the Crystal Isles and yet the managed to frak it up.

I just checked my server ports and as above already told, the server seems to listen one port bellow the configured one:

[ark]# netstat -lnp
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name    
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:32330           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -                   
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:27015           0.0.0.0:*                           -                   
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:7773            0.0.0.0:*                           -                   
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:7774            0.0.0.0:*                           -       

My server appears as normal, everything looks good until you actually try to connect, the password prompt works but then when trying to get in to the game... Connection Timeout!

Removed mods, changed maps, manually confirmed server is up to date, restarted server and clients, extended port range (even though already had the one below included), added raw ports then removed them (as didn't use them originally), sadly still the same...

So, I tried other maps in my dedicated server and I can safely conclude that it is officially useless. Nothing works.
Ark's 5th anniversary will being remembered as the celebration that forbidden me and the family from playing Ark.

Congrats Wildcard! Here is my present ? - It contains 'competence tokens'; a rare commodity indeed. Use it wisely.
Note: Using the chemistry station, you can refine these tokens to increase protection against lazypothermy.

10 hours ago, ChuckDodo said:

I'm also unable to join my dedicated private server as it ceased to appear in the  in the client's server list. This happened after the 311.79 update.
I get these new messages on the dedicated server:

SteamSocketsOpenSource: Gethostname failed ()
gethostname failed ()

Sighs... Why is everything so unnecessary problematic with this Wildcard company?

They postponed the release of the Crystal Isles and yet the managed to frak it up.

Think those errors are OK and don't actually hurt anything, I'd never seen them before until after yesterday's update but get them every time now whenever the island and Crystal Isles start up, Ragnarok starts up with no errors though, anyway all the servers on my cluster that I've tested so far work OK whether they have that error or not (google searches for it give more results for Atlas)

I think the problem is probably down to some dodgy netcode that they've updated to make the Steam & Epic versions work together then as usual have f****d it up instead of opening up a beta branch and getting players to test it for them, as always we are the beta testers 

My server seems to be working fine, can't really add any other useful info except I've never used bRawSockets (think that's been disabled by default now?) and my ports go from 7777-7795 and 27011-27029 with the servers using each odd numbered port and the even numbered ones unused, I'm the only player on it though so no idea if it works for players outside my home network

"a work around for not being able to directly connect to a server on EGS is joining a single player game and running the command; open <ip:port>
It works. I started a single player under "host/local" opened console (TAB) and typed (open 192.168.0.1:7777 password) without epsilons on my wifes computer using copy from her Epic games library. And she was able to connect to my dedicated. note, just used generic ip for example, replace with the ip of your server. using server manager, to setup up my server and using the server args -crossplay." This I found on a Reddit post,I don't deserve the credits.You can check it out yourself here : https://www.reddit.com/r/ARK/comments/h79558/epic_store_ark_master_post/
In other words,create your server with Ark Server Manager,put the command lines "-epiconly -crossplay" AND DONT PUT A PASSWORD,start your server,open Ark: Survival Evolved,host a single player world(the map doesnt matter) then press TAB to open the command chat and in there write "open 192.168.0.1:7777"(replace this with your server ip) and press enter.After that,you will sucessfully connect to your server.

Archived