Exploiting Deep Sea Loot Crates by building Foundations in all but 2 spawn spots

MyNameIs

40 minutes ago, swurvy said:

Nonsense!;)  Get yourself a decent leveled megalodon, with that you can take on most of the plesies (or rise above them).  Grab a SCUBA suit, maybe two tanks, and a GPS.  Change your view to first person riding so that you get the better sight with your SCUBA mask while riding.  If you are swimming right beside your mega, switch to your GPS quickly right before you press Y to ride, and you will have your GPS in hand while riding.  This will make your trip significantly safer.  Also, take plenty of food and some fria curry for the frigid NW.  Search, and profit!  You won't regret the effort put in, the rewards can be great.

It really is worth it. I play with swurvy on a server and we have gotten tons of good loot in a short smount of time but in order to do this was a lot of work. We spent a couple weeks getting ourselves the mega's 1st, then our scuba gear then long days running the map over and over trying to foundation them all off. I kibble tamed a 120 plesie about 2 weeks ago and that sped the proccess significantly but we certainly would have been able to finish on the Mega's  the nitial laps around the map took well over an hour when we were unfamiliar with the drop locations. Now I can go out, get both and get home in about 10-15 minutes

For anyone just starting out looking for these drops a word of advice... Get real close to the co-ordinates. I mean spot on and right at ground level. If you are running through scared and staying up too high and don't know what you are looking for you'll miss it. Also, when first starting out do it at night. I know the ocean is a little frightening at night at first but with a scuba mask on the drops really pop at night. 

My Ascendant Sword, saddles, armor etc are worth the effort involved. Trust me

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's this scared talk?  Do you guys realize that the ocean is virtually empty?  I swim it without scuba gear all the time, see nothing, can outswim anything anyway...and the safest place is just above the bottom.

You dont' usually aggro anything near the bottom and Eurys can't swim so don't ride the bottom but just above it.

Also there are undersea navigation tricks...if you invert your camera view the reflection on the surface of the water reveals the deep coast line which gives you a great triangulation.

3 minutes ago, IDNeon said:

What's this scared talk?  Do you guys realize that the ocean is virtually empty?  I swim it without scuba gear all the time, see nothing, can outswim anything anyway...and the safest place is just above the bottom.

You dont' usually aggro anything near the bottom and Eurys can't swim so don't ride the bottom but just above it.

Also there are undersea navigation tricks...if you invert your camera view the reflection on the surface of the water reveals the deep coast line which gives you a great triangulation.

Not sure why but the ocean is intimidating for some. Once you're in it you discover it's easy but you have to get in first to find that out

14 hours ago, swurvy said:

It isn't quite possible to block them all, there are two (10.5, 40.2 and 8.2, 91.2) that appear on top of underwater cave structures that I don't believe you can place foundations or pillar/ceilings on.  That said, the render range (on Xbox anyways) isn't very large. To have them spawn in completely random locations would make them almost impossible to locate, even with first person mount riding and the SCUBA mask.

Maybe it should be this way, I'm not sure.  I play on a private dedicated server with just a couple people, so it hasn't become an issue for us.

1. The goal is to block all but 2, so this is perfect. You can put a bed and vault in both caves and then quick travel to pick  both drops in under a minute.

2. If you put a foundation inside the cave it blocks the drop above it

That's really strange. We have all of them foundationed off with Stone foundations and for 2 weeks I've been making runs to the 2 cave spawns on my Plesie and never had one not appear at those 2 spots. I've even made back to back to back runs with about 50 minutes between each run and gotten 6 crates total. For us it's never failed. Private dedicated server, xbox. 

My theory is that it is connected with the fear of drowning; in an ocean where you can lose your sense of direction and some (I would, probably) panic thinking they couldn't find their way to the surface, therefore, drown.

If you are raised near water I doubt many would have that fear.  I live in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains.  We have rivers, creeks, ponds and some lakes, but although some are deep, none gives the impression of being in an ocean; water as far as you can see.   

Of course, you get the wild tales of giant catfish the size of a car (nope, not possible in the US) but real ones can be large, then there are the snapping turtles, they can take a hand off, depending on their size.  Alligators can be dangerous, not as bad as crocs (modern day ones), but still can kill you.

For those who don't live near oceans or seas, these critters can make you more cautious of the water sometimes than those who live near such large bodies of water.  They know what is in those dark, deep waters, what monsters are hiding waiting to devour you.  :D 

I had just started to play ARK and was collecting stones, lit my torch when it became dark and realized later on that I had no idea of where I was, exactly.  I knew I was near the water that was close to my base, but across from it, where?  Stupid me, instead of just waiting for daylight I tried to find my way home walking to where I thought it was and got even more turned around.  Then, don't know how, but fell into the water and my torch went out.  First time in the water (on my second day of playing) so panic, naturally :$  :) fortunately there were no piranha around to eat me.  I floundered around, found the shore and re-lit my torch.   Stood there until it because light enough to see and realized I was on the other side of the water from my base.  The peninsula in the south where it dead ends.  

On 2016-04-17 at 5:32 AM, courtx said:

Thus happened to me last night whilst I was trying the same thing.

F6g7cbB.jpg

I'm not sure why.  This looks like the drop just south west of Carno Island.  I'm not certain why there would be a difference, but I used a pillar/ceiling combination for this one.  I couldn't get a foundation to sit exactly where I wanted it to, the ground was too steep.

On April 15, 2016 at 5:00 PM, swurvy said:

Nonsense!;)  Get yourself a decent leveled megalodon, with that you can take on most of the plesies (or rise above them).  Grab a SCUBA suit, maybe two tanks, and a GPS.  Change your view to first person riding so that you get the better sight with your SCUBA mask while riding.  If you are swimming right beside your mega, switch to your GPS quickly right before you press Y to ride, and you will have your GPS in hand while riding.  This will make your trip significantly safer.  Also, take plenty of food and some fria curry for the frigid NW.  Search, and profit!  You won't regret the effort put in, the rewards can be great.

Are we talking speed/stamina trained one? Cuz in my experience Megs are kinda sluggish

4 minutes ago, UDGxKnight said:

Are we talking speed/stamina trained one? Cuz in my experience Megs are kinda sluggish

You're right, they are pretty slow.  Plesies might get a nibble or two on you, but unless you hang around and let them, you would be able to rise close enough to the surface to break their aggro range.  The scariest part about plesies and moseys are that they tend to come up from right below you, catching you off guard.

1 minute ago, swurvy said:

You're right, they are pretty slow.  Plesies might get a nibble or two on you, but unless you hang around and let them, you would be able to rise close enough to the surface to break their aggro range.  The scariest part about plesies and moseys are that they tend to come up from right below you, catching you off guard.

Truth, nothing scarier than a giant lizard coming up from the abyss to nibble on your giblets 

• Volunteer Moderator
25 minutes ago, UDGxKnight said:

Truth, nothing scarier than a giant lizard coming up from the abyss to nibble on your giblets 

That one gave me a brief case of the giggles.

When I do deep see run, I use a Mosa.  I have put markers next to most of them, so it is not to bad;  plus with the Euryperid, there is another reason to do little searching(though I am find them hiding just below drop offs on rocks...sneaky).

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Jerryn said:

That one gave me a brief case of the giggles.

When I do deep see run, I use a Mosa.  I have put markers next to most of them, so it is not to bad;  plus with the Euryperid, there is another reason to do little searching(though I am find them hiding just below drop offs on rocks...sneaky).

should've multi-quoted, whoops

yup, the wife and i do the run with our mated pair of Mosa's:

Mr.Mozi and MaryKay (hers is pink..lol)

never felt more safe at sea

• Volunteer Moderator

should've multi-quoted, whoops

yup, the wife and i do the run with our mated pair of Mosa's:

Mr.Mozi and MaryKay (hers is pink..lol)

never felt more safe at sea

Mine is Simon The Sea Monster.

I just wish he was scary enough to make the other sea critters rethink their lives and go somewhere else.  I spend most of my trip killing stuff.  But I have recently bumped up speed and stamina on Simon, so that has helped some.

I tried doing the run with a dunkle, but no matter how much speed and stam I put on it...it is just slow, slow, stop and rest, slow.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

I just wish he was scary enough to make the other sea critters rethink their lives and go somewhere else.

something about the water must make things suicidal, if i were an angler i would never go anywhere near a mosaB|

and it seems every 6' there is a pair of plesi's--have over 3 large of fireworks skins:D

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

something about the water must make things suicidal, if i were an angler i would never go anywhere near a mosaB|

and it seems every 6' there is a pair of plesi's--have over 3 large of fireworks skins:D

LOL...this is so true.

For a while, I collected the fireworks skins, just to see how many I can get.  After filling two cabinets(from a mod with 60 slots), I now just dump them; otherwise, I would need to build a second base just to store them all. :D

I haven't tried using foundations to block the spawn, but I did come up with a convenient way to save time checking on these deep sea crates.  I just made a raft for each location and parked it on the surface.  I even named the rafts using the coordinates.  I just fly from raft to raft with a fast Ptera then make a quick swim down with scuba gear to check the spawn location.  I had been worried the rafts might drift out of position with rendering, but so far they have held position in my SP game.  With the flippers on I can out-swim anything in the water so I haven't needed any tamed sea creatures for this task.  If I also took the trouble to place foundations, then I would still have 2 rafts above the ones I leave open and could check the spawns even faster.

On 18/04/2016 at 3:29 PM, swurvy said:

I'm not sure why.  This looks like the drop just south west of Carno Island.  I'm not certain why there would be a difference, but I used a pillar/ceiling combination for this one.  I couldn't get a foundation to sit exactly where I wanted it to, the ground was too steep.

This was carno island. On my sprees of looting I have found them spawn in the same fashion on flat areas. Crate inaccessible. Now I'm going to look even more sausageish by blocking other people getting them, I've had to keep circling the entire island and I'm moving foundation to the side so at least I know where it should spawn near.

Do you have pic of how you stop them spawning? Are you on official, I wonder if there is some setting the devs put in to like a radius number for crates spawning near foundation.

Archived