Building logic changed?

jellycoatedbean

Building logic changed?

I started a build after patch 304.44, all fine. Log in today and my build is no longer supported, can no longer build upon what I already have. Somewhere after the small 90MB patch today (for which there are no notes), building logic has changed. If you're going to make changes like this, in a game that's in full release, that have a huge impact on players, a warning would be nice. You know, so peoples bases that have taken years to build don't come crumbling down. Anyone have any notes on this? Or experienced the same issue? Check any structures that are not connected to ground. For example, pillars snapped underneath ceilings that don't physically touch the ceiling, these are no longer supported.

I can't place any stone or metal items that are triangular. Foundations / ceilings / roof sections. I can place wooden ones, but no stone or metal. I tried flying to another area of the map, laid a square stone foundation and placed a square ceiling tile against it - all ok. Tried to place a triangular stone ceiling - wouldn't allow it (but it shows green). Destroyed it all and tried to place a triangular foundation (again showing green) but it wouldn't place. Also can't place stone steps. 

2 hours ago, jellycoatedbean said:

Building logic changed?

I started a build after patch 304.44, all fine. Log in today and my build is no longer supported, can no longer build upon what I already have. Somewhere after the small 90MB patch today (for which there are no notes), building logic has changed. If you're going to make changes like this, in a game that's in full release, that have a huge impact on players, a warning would be nice. You know, so peoples bases that have taken years to build don't come crumbling down. Anyone have any notes on this? Or experienced the same issue? Check any structures that are not connected to ground. For example, pillars snapped underneath ceilings that don't physically touch the ceiling, these are no longer supported.

I always had a strong suspicion they would SOME DAY fix that.  I remember back on Legacy in I think 2016, I broke some pillars fully expecting a quarter of my base to fall down but the pillar underneath, though not touching the ceiling at all, still provided support.  I expected then that I would log in one day and the logic would've changed, and my base would be a smoldering heap.  Its amazing that this is the squeaky wheel that so desperately needed the grease.

And yeah, our whole server was unable to place any homestead pieces for a while.  It seems to work now, or maybe I haven't tried all the pieces yet, but things seem to be OK.

1 hour ago, Recreant888 said:

About half the structures on my bronto saddle were stuck last night. Didn't move when the bronto did, just hung there in midair. Don't know if related or just more Ark strangeness.

I've seen that happen occasionally since legacy. Had a raft by carno Island and sailed to my base by herbivore Isle. Half the platform was still at carno and it'd teleport me there when I stood on it! 

3 hours ago, TheDonn said:

I always had a strong suspicion they would SOME DAY fix that.  I remember back on Legacy in I think 2016, I broke some pillars fully expecting a quarter of my base to fall down but the pillar underneath, though not touching the ceiling at all, still provided support.  I expected then that I would log in one day and the logic would've changed, and my base would be a smoldering heap.  Its amazing that this is the squeaky wheel that so desperately needed the grease.

And yeah, our whole server was unable to place any homestead pieces for a while.  It seems to work now, or maybe I haven't tried all the pieces yet, but things seem to be OK.

Yeah it's definitely something to be fixed, even though I love that build mechanic of the game. I would have just liked a warning, or for it to have been in some notes at the very least lol. But this is Ark, we expect too much. But we can still build this way, just some existing structures are now classed as unsupported. Literally just built it, in the exact same place, exact same way, no differences, works again. No more lazy builds I guess xD Though they really have screwed over some stuff this patch, as some guys have said :( Another good job from WC

Archived