Need help on a server question

facelessfrik

• Volunteer Moderator
39 minutes ago, facelessfrik said:

Need help on a server question

Hi guys is there a way to have a "free" server with 3 friends and be able tor anyone to launch it? i ask this cuz i am playing a non dedicated server with 3 friends but if the "Host" is offline we cant play.  

If one of you host it on a machine that runs 24/7 that have remote launch setup then yes, otherwise nope.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, facelessfrik said:

humm not even if we have some sort of way to send the save to one another when we finish playing ?

That could be accomplished, I guess. Doesn't worth the trouble if you ask me, though. Providers like G-Portal provides 10 slots servers for like $12/month. If you all cut $1/week you could avoid all the trouble.

16 hours ago, facelessfrik said:

humm not even if we have some sort of way to send the save to one another when we finish playing ?

Well yes, that could work, but you'd have to constantly communicate with each other to make sure that you know who is running the server today.

Imagine this scenario:

Monday: Player 1, runs server for Monday, shuts down server, sends copies of the save files to the other three players.

Tuesday: Player 2 starts a copy of the server and Player 1 joins him after an hour. Unfortunately Players 3 & 4 don't know about this, so player 3 runs another copy of the server for Tuesday and player 4 joins him.

At the end of the day on Tuesday Player 2 sends out a copy of his save files to everyone, and Player 3 sends out a copy of his save files to everyone. Who's save file will you use on Wednesday? If you use Player 2's save files, then all the work that Player 3 and Player 4 did on Tuesday gets lost, or if you use Player 3's save files then all of the work that Player 1 and Player 2 did will be lost.

So yes, you can do what you're asking, but I can guarantee that it will result in confusion and hurt feelings at some point. This is why running a Dedicated server is better in the long run.

6 minutes ago, facelessfrik said:

If we start a dedicated server instead of the non dedicated. If we are 3 players, player 1 being the 1st host, is there a way player 2 and  3 can play together without player 1 being online?

When you run a dedicated server no one is the host, it's a standalone instance of the game. This usually requires a separate computer and the only thing that computer does is run a copy of the ARK server.

Example 1:

You own two computers. On one computer you run the ARK server and the server runs 24/7 even when no one is logged in playing. This allows all three of your to log in to the server any time you want, regardless of whether anyone else is playing.

Example 2:

You rent a server from a provider on the internet, a good example is G-Portal, listed in the reply that Invincibleqc made at the beginning of your thread. You then install the ARK server onto that host machine and run ARK 24/7 on that server. For only 3 players, you could rent the cheapest ARK server that is available and it would still be strong enough for the three of you.

If you don't know much about computers and routers, it's much easier to rent a server from a service provider. When you run your own dedicated server in your house you have to make changes to your router configuration in order to let people play on your dedicated server, if this is something that you're not familiar with it can be confusing and frustrating.

Archived