Any tips for small tames running off?

Foxkid

I've had more than a few dilos and raptors tamed since starting about 2 weeks ago, but every time I've taken them out for meat and hide to bring back to my tribe, at some point they run off without any kind of warning (if not die from some unfortunate nonsense such as stuck to a kentro, troodon spawning, or the 897th alpha raptor spawning in and making a meal of it).

Just today I had tamed a 140 raptor that i took on a hunt and once I made it to the woods (near the swamp but not in snake territory), as soon as i dismounted it to set it to passive for another tame, it bolted in some direction while I was readying the bola, I couldn't find it after trekking through the swamp, a snow biome, backtracking my route, and finally just going back home after being attacked by lv 135 snakes, 8 therianzors (the clawed jerks), running into a titanosaurus, finding 3 alpha raptors, and 3 day/night cycles without a working torch.

I know there's trackers for your tames, but I don't have the means to make these, but is there any other way to prevent it from happening? It's kind of annoying, especially when it's difficult to find raptors over 90 most times.

Double check that the tames are on passive and wandering is disabled.

I wonder if you're accidentally pressing one of the "whistle" keys that might be putting your tames on wander, or telling them to go to a certain position.

If you have access to the save files, you can use Ark-Tools to get the GPS cords of all tame dinos. https://github.com/Qowyn/ark-tools

The thing being is I had it set to follow me with the other 3 dinos I had with me for the hunt (a rex, allo, and argie), the issue is this tends to happen more often *exactly* when they're following me when outside the walls of our base (behemoth gates).

But for accidental whistling, I'm on PS4 so that can't be done, and I'm not sure how to tell them to go to a specific location.

The tool sounds extremely useful, just sucks I can't make use of it.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:34 AM, Besty said:

If you are on PvE then you can place a tent over the top of your tames! I have used this trick to tame vultures and arches.

NOTE: The tent has low health so agro creatures may destroy it.

Er, that doesn't exactly solve the issue...but I had the same issue of a tame (this time one my tribe leader tamed and I used it to get back to where i died) that wasn't set to follow or on passive flee being chased off a cliff on Ragnarok by 3 terror birds after getting knocked off by a microraptor, only to be found about 4 days later in the river below after making a carno run off the same cliff like an idiot.

Seriously, what's making my raptors run off like brain dead idiots as soon as I dismount or get knocked off? It's so aggravating at this point, and it hurts my attempts to see if I can make a good hunting pack of raptors for once like you can with Allos, Wolves, and maybe hyenas within a hunting party.

I was riding the raptor when I use them, I'm not crazy on my settings with them. In the most recent case though it wasn't set to follow anything at all nor was it set to Neutral or aggressive, I got knocked off and stunned by a microraptor and the raptor ran off a cliff followed by 3 terror birds. Other times I'm riding it and dismount, usually for a tame, and I turn around the next moment it's not there anymore after running off in some other direction.

Even had this happen to a Carno on a legacy pve server on the island where I died, went back to get my things and it was not there, never saw it again but it never showed up dead in my tribe log.

Archived