Selective Stat breeding

CNeo

I've found today a guide to the selective stat breeding on the ARK Gamepedia, but there a steps that are confusing me. Can someone give me a detailed explanation on this? Step 2 to 7.

1)      Breed a dino that has the best stats that u can find. – the dino has to have 0-19/20 mutation in his respective category, e.g. male 0-19/20 mutations on patrilineal side, female 0-19/20 mutations on matrilineal side,

2)      Get a level 1 dino and breed the 0 points in movement speed to the baby. Every “wild” point in movement speed is a lost point so you don’t need them and can substitute them for points in another stat. Remember we are going for the level cap (lvl 450) so every level is important (e.g. getting 60 lvl in oxygen on a rex for boss fight is not very useful).

3)      Get a breeding pair 1 male and as many females as u can (the more the faster the whole process gets). – the dinos has to have 0-19/20 mutation in his respective category, e.g. male 0-19/20 mutations on patrilineal side, female 0-19/20 mutations on matrilineal side,

4)      Breed…a lot.

5)      A) Get a mutation in the stat you are looking for (e.g. HP)

B) Get a mutation in the stat you are looking for (e.g. HP) on a baby that got the higher stat from parents.

6)      Breed your new mutation to a MALE dino.

7)      Swap your original male with the new mutated (e.g. HP) male dino.

8)      Repeat point 5B-7.

9)      Stop if your dino reaches lvl 378 – dino lvl cap is lvl 450 (included), 449-71=378, any dino that gets to lvl 450 (included) will be deleted by the game (officical servers), u get more stats if you add levels manually because u get a % on the lvl up of tamed dinos rather the a flat value like in a mutation (99% sure)

10)   Stop if u reach 184 lvl in specific stat. – stat values are capped at 255 levels, 255-71=184, after that the stat resets - u get more stats if u add level manually because u get a % on the lvlup of tamed dinos rather the a flat value like in a mutation (99% sure)

30 minutes ago, CNeo said:

the dino has to have 0-19/20 mutation in his respective category, e.g. male 0-19/20 mutations on patrilineal side, female 0-19/20 mutations on matrilineal side

you can ignore this part.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And simplified version of the rest:

You tame a bunch of dinos and select ones with best stats you need and breed those stats together, preferably into new male dino.

Now you just mate that male with a whole bunch of clean/unmutated females until you get a mutation in desired stat.
If mutated baby is female - you breed it with male until you get a male baby with that mutation.

Now you raise that mutated male baby and breed it with same bunch of clean females until you get a new mutation.

Rinse and repeat. The more females you have to breed male with - the more chances for new mutation you will have.

If you are playing on official server: there is a total level cap of 450 for dinos. Should your dino ever reach that number - it'll get deleted during next server restart. Since dinos can get 71 domesticated levels it is advised to not breed babies higher than level 378.

Okay, I  think I got it.

I mate the male with best stats with all the famales, when a baby has mutated stat, I breed it with the male (father) and when I get a new male with the mutation, then I swap the male ones and continue breeding with the mutated male and all females? After that I repeat. Does the Level of the female matter? Does is have to be 180 perfect tame or can the famales be from Level 1 to 180 but clean and unmutated? I have alot of females but they are babies of the tamed ones but unmutated, can I use them too?

From my personal experience with super rexes you should get a large sample of perfect tame 150 rexes then get a male and female with all the best stats and no mutations  from the individuals in the sample of tamed rexes.after that breed the two then start furthering your line once you start getting mutations only good ones breed the females with the original male this will keep the line moving without worry of mutations cap.

using this method you can get all the rexes you own into the billions of mutations and best stats possible in the game.

oh and the lvl 1 Dino in theory would be better but in the end if you get a large enough sample of 150 perfect tames the the wasted movement points just simply wouldn’t be worth the effort.

5 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

you can ignore this part.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And simplified version of the rest:

You tame a bunch of dinos and select ones with best stats you need and breed those stats together, preferably into new male dino.

Now you just mate that male with a whole bunch of clean/unmutated females until you get a mutation in desired stat.
If mutated baby is female - you breed it with male until you get a male baby with that mutation.

Now you raise that mutated male baby and breed it with same bunch of clean females until you get a new mutation.

Rinse and repeat. The more females you have to breed male with - the more chances for new mutation you will have.

If you are playing on official server: there is a total level cap of 450 for dinos. Should your dino ever reach that number - it'll get deleted during next server restart. Since dinos can get 71 domesticated levels it is advised to not breed babies higher than level 378.

Thank you for the clarification.  This makes a lot of sense and I’m definitely bookmarking this.

10 hours ago, CNeo said:

Can I ask why there in the guide is something about a level 1 Dino?

To lower the level of the baby by introducing low stats into the line (speed, oxygen, sometimes food). Only relevant if you are playing on official servers and your babies are born close to level 378. This is done to avoid the risk of getting your dinos deleted because they are over level 450.

20 hours ago, CNeo said:

Can I ask why there in the guide is something about a level 1 Dino?

He uses the level 1 dino to clear wasted points in speed to maximize possible stats given the hard level 450 dino cap.  Something 99% of breeders don't have to worry about.  A level 1 dino will have 0 points used in every stat.  If you tame a level 150 rex and it comes out as level 225, if you run its stats through a calculator, you may find that only 200 of the 224 possible stat points have been spent on HP, Stam, Oxy, Food, Weight and Melee.  The other 24 missing points were placed into movement speed.  Points assigned into movement speed on tame/breed do not increase movement speed, they instead are 'wasted'.  If you bred that 225 rex with a level 1 dino, you are hoping to pop out a level 201 rex that has spent exactly 0 points in move speed... in other words, you want the baby to retain every stat from the 225 rex EXCEPT its move speed.  You want to pull the move speed from the level 1 dino, meaning your baby will have 0 wasted points.

With 0 wasted points in speed, you can then breed to get the most stat points possible in the other stats.  The poster of your guide is trying to maximize stats of a dino within the rubric of level 450 being max level.  Using his method with the level 1 dino, if you have a level 380 rex, all 379 points it could spend will have been spent in 'useful' stats.

To show how this isn't really a big concern, on officials I was hatching level 303 rexes with 14,300 HP and 491 melee, plus other amazing stats, like 2k stam, 850 weight etc.  Those rexes were indomitable... They'd get to 30k HP, 1k melee ON OFFICIAL SERVERS!  They still had 75 levels to gain on hatch before you'd run into the max dino level issue.... 75 levels is 37ish mutations... Given the current stats of the rexes, there's almost no way to find a wild rex with better stats... and since mutations are capped at 20/20 and 20/20... so 40... The chances this rex line ever hits cap is nominal.

6 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Unless something has changed recently, that is not how mutation markers work and it is possible to stack mutations indefinitely as long as you breed with clean females.

Once you get to 20/20 on the male, you can breed indefinitely, yes, but it becomes a LOT more difficult.  Once I get to 20/20 on the male, I move to get a clean male and make the 20/20s be all the females.  That being said, the process you're describing (going past 40 mutations) is grueling and requires you to do like 3 steps to get back to mutation breeding every time you get a new mutation... for simplicity sake, I just assumed 40/40 was max mutations... really though, 20 melee and 20 HP mutations on a single dino would be devastating and take months/years to accomplish anyway... so lets be realistic.

56 minutes ago, Brayn said:

Once you get to 20/20 on the male, you can breed indefinitely, yes, but it becomes a LOT more difficult.  Once I get to 20/20 on the male, I move to get a clean male and make the 20/20s be all the females.  That being said, the process you're describing (going past 40 mutations) is grueling and requires you to do like 3 steps to get back to mutation breeding every time you get a new mutation... for simplicity sake, I just assumed 40/40 was max mutations... really though, 20 melee and 20 HP mutations on a single dino would be devastating and take months/years to accomplish anyway... so lets be realistic.

Female can mutate male's stat, so there is no need for switch, ever. You just keep breeding 20/20 male with clean females and continue to stack mutations indefinitely. The only difference is that male cannot mutate itself anymore so the chances are kinda halved. But then it turns into game of numbers - you can just increase the number of females to offset male being overmutated.

3 hours ago, Brayn said:

So you breed your mutated stats into a clean male? Do you tame new one or do you use one of the 0/0?

just curious if anyone ever gotten above 450 on new servers to proof that its still the cap. Saddle and weapon caps have been increased so maybe the max lvl too. Im close to getting a rex that could reach 450, but still takes a while. My highest clean Mut rex is 342 which i could maybe get high enough with some mutations to reach 450 with lvls.

I also recommend to use same bred female rexes. I have 112 females all same stats as male (only the Mut stat is different) so i dont have to check every rex cause with same stats i just look out for a rex with +2lvls

3 hours ago, GGSDubSt3pz said:

just curious if anyone ever gotten above 450 on new servers to proof that its still the cap. Saddle and weapon caps have been increased so maybe the max lvl too. Im close to getting a rex that could reach 450, but still takes a while. My highest clean Mut rex is 342 which i could maybe get high enough with some mutations to reach 450 with lvls.

I also recommend to use same bred female rexes. I have 112 females all same stats as male (only the Mut stat is different) so i dont have to check every rex cause with same stats i just look out for a rex with +2lvls

112 females;  you have opened my eyes to the reality of how large scale a true breeding operation needs to be.  Thanks

8 hours ago, CNeo said:

So you breed your mutated stats into a clean male? Do you tame new one or do you use one of the 0/0?

It is impossible to move mutated stats to clean sample simply because mutations marks will be moved as well, or rather mutation marks will be inherited to each and every offspring regardless whether mutated stat have been passed down or not. Just dont listen to all that gibberish about mutation limits, having to switch to mutated females (complete bullcrap) etc.

As long as you breed your mutated male with a bunch of clean females new mutations in desired stat will occur.

21 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

It is impossible to move mutated stats to clean sample simply because mutations marks will be moved as well, or rather mutation marks will be inherited to each and every offspring regardless whether mutated stat have been passed down or not. Just dont listen to all that gibberish about mutation limits, having to switch to mutated females (complete bullcrap) etc.

As long as you breed your mutated male with a bunch of clean females new mutations in desired stat will occur.

One caveat - The percentage change of you getting a mutation drops  below half the rate of mutation when both sides can still mutate.

2 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

One caveat - The percentage change of you getting a mutation drops  below half the rate of mutation when both sides can still mutate.

The art of quoting oneself:

On 5/1/2018 at 10:06 PM, DarthaNyan said:

But then it turns into game of numbers - you can just increase the number of females to offset male being overmutated.

2 hours ago, CNeo said:

It is torpor. Its everytime when it jumps from 292 to 304. Do I have bad luck?

No, that just means that every time it jumps from 292 to 304 baby got the higher speed (aka wasted) stat from one of its parents. Nothing wrong with it unless you specifically want the lower one (relevant only on official servers).

It only hurts to have too much in run speed when you get the animals over level  378 i think on official.  If your animals end up hitting 450 they will get deleted by the server when the server restarts.  I wouldn't worry about that until then.  After which you breed in a lvl 5 and move in the lvl 5's run speed.  DOing the moving in run speed early to me is a waste of time.  YOu end up having to filter out the run speed of every wild tame you merge into your bloodline over and over again, instead - just worry about it at the end of the line.

Archived