Swamp Cave tips

Ramrod43

On 11/8/2017 at 4:10 PM, Ramrod43 said:

I tamed a carno for the sole purpose of doing this cave and I couldn't get it to fit in there. I even jumped off and tried to have it follow me. thanks for the advise in anycase, very useful info here. 

You can surely enter with carno, just need to move some left and right in the cramped place at entrance. It will definitely not follow you, have to force it inside when riding.

I just use a pair of mate boosted wolves. With a couple of gas mask I'm able to clear whole rooms easily and charge to the centipedes so they can't spit. Clearing the whole cave with both wolves at a little under 3/4 HP. I also leave some gear outside with another sleeping bag. Asc shotgun back to the wolves and keep going if I'm killed.

I do swamp cave almost every day. On an official server.

What I bring is:

- Gas masks (always 4), never needed more than 1. Primitive is fine, cheap to repair.

-  Medical Brew (a stack, what I don't use I put back in fridge).

I use a Baryonyx (on neutral). Currently a bred one with 100% print (7700hp, 732 dmg). Before I used a tamed one. The main difference is you have to force-feed it more to heal. I can do the cave without healing in between rooms with this bary. But before I healed after every room. So bring 1-2k fish with you. Easy enough to get in redwood river. Or kill a few sharks in sea.

Before entering put all your armor inside the bary and ONLY wear the gas mask. Why? Because arthropleuras at those levels will 1shot all your armor. They can't kill the gas mask, the reason you bring more is in case you take too long inside the cave.

The spit will however hurt you IF it hits you (I died once when 3 hit me at the same time (200hp), but that's very rare). That's where the medical brew is for. Pay attention to your health when fighting them. And always focus on them first.

Mainly follow left on the cave. There's a room on the right somewhere with a blue crate but it's not worth it.

When grabbing a loot crate which is in water clear all the leeches first. Double, no, triple check. Also make sure to have the area clear because you're almost naked and very vulnerable. And check ceilings for megalanias. They won't drop down when I'm on the bary but they will when on foot. One shot/spear will get em down though (you can do it from the back of the bary)

2 hours ago, Dylan1602 said:

Nicely done man and that is an amazing first loot! Congratulations, it is so much fun isn't it?

Oh yeah , my heart was racing the whole time. Soooo much leech blood and chitin lol. Funny story the long neck was from the gold drop and the two red drops were just bps for dino gates! 

36 minutes ago, Ramrod43 said:

Oh yeah , my heart was racing the whole time. Soooo much leech blood and chitin lol. Funny story the long neck was from the gold drop and the two red drops were just bps for dino gates! 

Yeah the drops can either be super good or incredibly bad. More often than not its not so good but you can and will get some incredible stuff down there if you run the cave consistently. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MTek9 said:

In what way? 

speed, maneuverability, leeches only agro after they have been attacked(almost never get a leech), you can wear a gas mask and arthros dont break it. And they do great dmg. a good one one shots the dragonflies. Plus run outside and eat 3-4 wild fish and full health from a regen from eating wild fish mechanic. Oh and best part they can walk in and out so you dont have to store them in there where crap can be kited to them.

On 26/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, bigfishrob said:

speed, maneuverability, leeches only agro after they have been attacked(almost never get a leech), you can wear a gas mask and arthros dont break it. And they do great dmg. a good one one shots the dragonflies. Plus run outside and eat 3-4 wild fish and full health from a regen from eating wild fish mechanic. Oh and best part they can walk in and out so you dont have to store them in there where crap can be kited to them.

Bear is faster, bear 1-2 shots arthros, maneuverability is questionable because bears can turn on a dime a top speed, bears take 0 torpor and hardly any damage from anything. The only advantage I can see is that the bear baby walk in. 

16 hours ago, MTek9 said:

Bear is faster, bear 1-2 shots arthros, maneuverability is questionable because bears can turn on a dime a top speed, bears take 0 torpor and hardly any damage from anything. The only advantage I can see is that the bear baby walk in. 

Barry can clear drops faster for one they dont have to clear everything. Hop right over half of it. Plus u randomely get ur gear broke by arthros on a bear and dont get hit on barrry

Archived