Why did you kill the Allo roar?

geneticbits

I'm really hoping that it's a bug that will be addressed. Or maybe its a WIP. But the allo roar was awesome before and now it's not. I loved hopping on my alpha allo and getting my pack to call after me. I just tried it (first time in a while, so i don't know when this started exactly) but and they still return the call of the leader. But it's SO QUIET! And not the same roar as before. I know the allo is one of those dinos that gets overlooked in favor of the bigger, badder ones, but hopefully you'll consider bringing back their roar to something respectable of the hunters that they are.

Edit to add: The new roar doesn't even fit their sound profile. Forgetting the volume problem (since that's probably just a tweak fix), their old roar had the same "voice" as their attack sound. It had the same "voice" as their level up sound... in fact, I think it used to be the same as the level up sound. If you wanted to make them different, change the level up roar, not the pack roar, please! And even then, please make it sound like the same dino is making both noises...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Wildcard Staff

Hey sorry, I haven't checked the forums in a while. It has been a crazy few months having to produce content for End Game, Ragnarok, and Aberration.

Yes many of the creature sounds were changed a while ago, including the Allosaurus. I hear what you're saying about the roar. It does sound a bit out of place compared to the rest of the allo vocalizations... I'll put it on the todo list. For the volume, please note that most of the old sounds were stereo. So while it may have sounded louder, there was no spatialization. Now all creature sounds are mono (except a few key sounds). It won't sound as full, but you can determine which direction the sound is coming from.

The sound overhaul for creatures did not stop. In fact it has finished! I have at least two dozen new creature sound sets in the bag. But with all that has been going on, no one had time to review my work before it was too late. I'm expecting the remaining creature sounds to go into the game sometime in September. 

On 8/19/2017 at 9:56 PM, geneticbits said:

I'm really hoping that it's a bug that will be addressed. Or maybe its a WIP. But the allo roar was awesome before and now it's not. I loved hopping on my alpha allo and getting my pack to call after me. I just tried it (first time in a while, so i don't know when this started exactly) but and they still return the call of the leader. But it's SO QUIET! And not the same roar as before. I know the allo is one of those dinos that gets overlooked in favor of the bigger, badder ones, but hopefully you'll consider bringing back their roar to something respectable of the hunters that they are.

Edit to add: The new roar doesn't even fit their sound profile. Forgetting the volume problem (since that's probably just a tweak fix), their old roar had the same "voice" as their attack sound. It had the same "voice" as their level up sound... in fact, I think it used to be the same as the level up sound. If you wanted to make them different, change the level up roar, not the pack roar, please! And even then, please make it sound like the same dino is making both noises...

If you think that's bad you should hear the sounds the war drums make. They've never actually sounded like drums. Skipped the credits after blowing through the new tek cave but in the beginning it was pretty obvious they know what drums are actually supposed to sound like. I guess the backlog SBaker mentioned is incredibly long so it could be a while.

edit: Oh yeah. Fun activity for the day: If you're a fellow player then go and use the war drums or play a video of their current sounds and then go to this thread and listen to some of the videos of actual war drums. War horn videos are also included because the thread ended up in the game suggestion thread without any actual game suggestions so we helped whatever mod turn the mistake into...not a mistake?

11 hours ago, SBaker said:

Hey sorry, I haven't checked the forums in a while. It has been a crazy few months having to produce content for End Game, Ragnarok, and Aberration.

Yes many of the creature sounds were changed a while ago, including the Allosaurus. I hear what you're saying about the roar. It does sound a bit out of place compared to the rest of the allo vocalizations... I'll put it on the todo list. For the volume, please note that most of the old sounds were stereo. So while it may have sounded louder, there was no spatialization. Now all creature sounds are mono (except a few key sounds). It won't sound as full, but you can determine which direction the sound is coming from.

The sound overhaul for creatures did not stop. In fact it has finished! I have at least two dozen new creature sound sets in the bag. But with all that has been going on, no one had time to review my work before it was too late. I'm expecting the remaining creature sounds to go into the game sometime in September. 

I wondered what happened to you and your creature sound overhaul, because there was radio silence. Many of creatures still have unsatisfaying or out of place sounds, as well as their mechanical piston walking sound effects that must be changed. If you want to have your work to be reviewed, create a thread about it on this forum. People will be more than happy to give you some feedback. 

Why did you change sounds to mono? I think stereo sounds are much better in general. 

Archived