Breeding question.

Grandta

So I want to try out breeding dinos for mutations.

What would a good dino to start with? I really don't care about the dinos or the stats or colour mutations, I just want to get the hang of doing it.

The dinosaurs are just for testing before I start on the new servers.

So which would be a good starting dino for doing mutations to get a feel for it or doesn't it really matter the dinosaurs.

47 minutes ago, Grandta said:

No android version? I play on PS4 and don't want to use my pc for just that.

Ark smart breeding is only available to use on PC, but it actually works for breeding, which Dododex does not. Dododex only calculates wild dino stats, and can't keep track of all of your dinos like smart breeding. It's worth it if you have a PC you can use. 

1 hour ago, BrownieShytles said:

breed the mutated dinos with each other.

Do not do this. The mutation counter is exponential. Breeding mutated dinos together will give youa higher counter(it increases by the amount both parents have) without necessarily giving you new mutations.

You want to breed your dino's together until you have a male and female with your best stats and then hatch more females for more eggs. Then when you get a mutation you like, breed that with the base 0/0 mutation females.

you can look at my posts, I've been asking a lot of questions about this and this reddit guide is really helpful, theres also another decent guide on here, I'll grab a link in a second.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/66n962/mutations_and_you_a_guide_on_breeding_mutations/

16 hours ago, Grandta said:

Yeah I'll do it with raptors, thanks for your input. Is there certain breeding apps or did you mean dododex?

Hi Grand. i use dododex and SA companion. only mainly for how long it will take for each part of the breeding process. Rest is just plodding along and making sure the babies have food constantly.

The 1st we did were petras and now we have got some anklo's and rex's ready to go. best is the weekends when the additional 2x is on to make it quicker.

19 hours ago, Grandta said:

So I want to try out breeding dinos for mutations.

What would a good dino to start with? I really don't care about the dinos or the stats or colour mutations, I just want to get the hang of doing it.

The dinosaurs are just for testing before I start on the new servers.

So which would be a good starting dino for doing mutations to get a feel for it or doesn't it really matter the dinosaurs.

I believe Herbi's are the easiest, take a trike or stego, they have good weight so can hold a lot and berry's stack to 100 so they will spoil slower :)

Also if you can get your hands on wyvern milk and an egg, they are super easy (on ragnarok). One milk every few hours keeps it alive :) 

if your'e just doing it for the experience in breeding then breed dodo's.  Easy to find max levels everywhere and work out their stats and you can have them popping out like a conveyor belt.

You aren't gonna get boss killer dodos but it gives you the experience in breeding with minimal fuss and time involved.

Plus they come in handy at Dodo fight clubs ;)

18 hours ago, Bonestorm said:

Do not do this. The mutation counter is exponential. Breeding mutated dinos together will give youa higher counter(it increases by the amount both parents have) without necessarily giving you new mutations.

You want to breed your dino's together until you have a male and female with your best stats and then hatch more females for more eggs. Then when you get a mutation you like, breed that with the base 0/0 mutation females.

Interesting point this. We are currently in a breeding programme for our Bears and Pteras and I believe my tribemate has a good understanding of breeding but let me throw this by you all.

We had a pair of 145 or 150 Pteras called Xeonai and Khaki, bred them and got a mutated HP stat on the baby and raised it. I’m sure we then used that new bird and bred it with one of its parents, and the baby of that pair got a mutated melee stat. Essentially, we kept breeding that way until we had got a mutation on all but Stam.

We tamed another 150 bird (separate from the current breeding birds) and this had a higher Stam stat that any of our original pairings or bred babies.

We then bred the new 150 bird with one of the birds with 4 other mutations so it now had a HP, Stam, Melee, Weight and Food mutation.

So just for my understanding, is it wise to interbreed to get the original 4 mutations or should we be using a new tame for each time we breed?

Sorry if I haven’t made this clear enough – as I mentioned, my tribemate tends to do the breeding, I just help raise them and claim one myself for imprinting.

I guess what I am asking for is a clear explanation (without too much granular detail) about the best way to breed – providing an example such as *tame two dinos, breed them. Take said baby, tame another wild dino and breed it with that etc etc*

12 hours ago, Griffin1984 said:

I believe Herbi's are the easiest, take a trike or stego, they have good weight so can hold a lot and berry's stack to 100 so they will spoil slower :)

Also if you can get your hands on wyvern milk and an egg, they are super easy (on ragnarok). One milk every few hours keeps it alive :) 

I raised 4 wyverns during the past weekend, I'd try it with them but on the server I play on we only have like 3 egg spawns since someone keeps dropping them in the air. So finding a high lvl egg is very low when everyone is grabbing them as soon as they see them. 

12 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

if your'e just doing it for the experience in breeding then breed dodo's.  Easy to find max levels everywhere and work out their stats and you can have them popping out like a conveyor belt.

You aren't gonna get boss killer dodos but it gives you the experience in breeding with minimal fuss and time involved.

Plus they come in handy at Dodo fight clubs ;)

Do dodos get colour mutations as well?

Also is there an app or online app I can use to see if the babies stats are good? Tried dododex but after putting in the stats it said it's stats were wrong and seen the part about only working on just tamed dinos.

12 hours ago, Anarki said:

Interesting point this. We are currently in a breeding programme for our Bears and Pteras and I believe my tribemate has a good understanding of breeding but let me throw this by you all.

We had a pair of 145 or 150 Pteras called Xeonai and Khaki, bred them and got a mutated HP stat on the baby and raised it. I’m sure we then used that new bird and bred it with one of its parents, and the baby of that pair got a mutated melee stat. Essentially, we kept breeding that way until we had got a mutation on all but Stam.

We tamed another 150 bird (separate from the current breeding birds) and this had a higher Stam stat that any of our original pairings or bred babies.

We then bred the new 150 bird with one of the birds with 4 other mutations so it now had a HP, Stam, Melee, Weight and Food mutation.

So just for my understanding, is it wise to interbreed to get the original 4 mutations or should we be using a new tame for each time we breed?

Sorry if I haven’t made this clear enough – as I mentioned, my tribemate tends to do the breeding, I just help raise them and claim one myself for imprinting.

I guess what I am asking for is a clear explanation (without too much granular detail) about the best way to breed – providing an example such as *tame two dinos, breed them. Take said baby, tame another wild dino and breed it with that etc etc*

You can get multiples of the same mutation, right now my Rex line has 5 HP mutations(started 44 wild HP levels are now 54) and 7 Melee Damage mutations (50 Wild levels to 64 now) 

This is a summary of best way as far as I've gathered, you(or your friend) should still see all my sources above. 
1) Knock out bunch of high levels of the dino you want. You are looking for them to have 30 Wild levels or more in at least one stat before taming. After they tame plug their stats in to something like Ark Smart Breeding, you want to see 40-50+ in their major stats. I would knock out anything Level 140+ and at least look at their stats.

2) Breed the ones you decide to keep until you have all the stats in one dino. Then use that one to make it so you have multiple females(I use 4 female Rex's) and at least one male all with identical stats (30+ and hopefully 45+ in the main ones you care about), these are your base 0/0 mutation dinos (at least one of these will ALWAYS be used in every breeding cycle from here on out).

3) You then breed the male with the females until you get a mutation in a major stat that you want to keep (for me it was HP or Melee Damage in my Rex's) this dino will be 1/0 or 0/1, if you are lucky you got a Male dino and you just use him to replace the base male since he can breed multiple females at once. Repeat this until you are happy with your dinos stats. If you are unlucky and get a female with the mutated stat you want to keep, you bread her with the base male until you get a Male with all her stats (since you breed with the base male with 0 mutations this new mutated male should still only have 1 mutation on its counter) use this male to breed with the base females as before. 

1 hour ago, Grandta said:

Do dodos get colour mutations as well?

Also is there an app or online app I can use to see if the babies stats are good? Tried dododex but after putting in the stats it said it's stats were wrong and seen the part about only working on just tamed dinos.

if you are single player or on a dedicated server I would try out SELVision otherwise you can use Ark Smart Breeding

Archived