Looking for fast-travel alternatives

Aldalasse

Hi!

I'm looking for good alternatives for travelling fast between my bases on The Island. I'm a comfort-loving low-risk not-too-skilled Sunday player who likes to peacefully build her own prehistoric zoo on a private server with low dino levels, and I even use to make safe-points for the game if I do anything risky (you get the picture, feel free to think I'm completely missing the point of ARK, sometimes I believe it myself. Nevertheless, I have great, great fun ;)) I have bases here and there around the island, and used to get around with my faithful super-speed pteranodon in a few minutes from any point of the map to another (for base upkeep, resource gathering etc.).

So, what would you propose as alternative, safe on-ground travellig dinos for me? To get from base to base I need to cross shallow waters, swamp, redwood and beach/jungle areas. Speed, safety, reliability and comfort are appreciated.

Keep it civil, constructive & creative, please :)

a terror bird would be good and from the looks of it the new equus is going to be even better as it looks like it doesnt take a lot of fall dmg, but over all i would have to say hands down a really good thylo will be your best bet to not only get away fast but be able to fight off anything you cant/dont want to run away from along with having a decent carry weight. just my thought tho

I'd say Beelzebufo would be a viable alternative, if you go for a pretty much all speed build it can travel quite fast and with its jump it can become almost like a flyer both by overcoming obstacles and the speed it moves at.

Other alternative for water traveling only would be a sarco, these things are extremely fast in water and can allow you to move from point A to point B in no time, especially if you invest even a little on speed.

If you simply want to run around without stopping for stamina every minute try the new iguanodon, extremely easy to tame and while they run on all 4 they dont use up any stamina at all, just keep an eye out for parasaurs they have a habit of stabbing their face into you getting you completely stuck until you dismount or it decides it had enough.

I have not personally tried it yet but Thylacoleos should be a very nice method of moving around, especially getting around those cliffs you will simply be able to climb them

Thank you all three for very quick, good ideas!

Actually got my motivation up to go for a taming round, adding horse and iguanodon - maybe even Thyalcoleo - to my zoo. Until then I'll happily hoppity hop around on my forgotten froggy that I have lying around somewhere. I actually used to like that one, but somehow it got obsolete...

And if anyone else has good ideas, keep 'em coming!

5 minutes ago, rawsh said:

erm, no, basespeed is just too slow, stamina sucks even on these, not as novelty as a ptera now (mwahaha ptera useless piece of poop) but still all tape is good for now is putting down wall trophies and cables,

1.5k stamina (if leveled a bit) lets you sprint pretty much across most of the map. Considering safety and direct unobstructed path to destination - it is a convenient way travel.

It is pointless to cry over spilt milk (former speeds). Better learn to appreciate what you have now.

1 minute ago, DarthaNyan said:

1.5k stamina (if leveled a bit) lets you sprint pretty much across most of the map. Considering safety and direct unobstructed path to destination - it is a convenient way travel.

It is pointless to cry over spilt milk (former speeds). Better learn to appreciate what you have now.

you do realize this is the initial nerf before they buff up some of the stats again, "depending on feedback", this will/can not stay like this, 

6 minutes ago, rawsh said:

you do realize this is the initial nerf before they buff up some of the stats again, "depending on feedback", this will/can not stay like this, 

yep, i have seen that dev post. But i dont consider "game is unplayable", "i demand unnerf", "lets post negative reviews until they unnerf", "i quit" as a constructive feedback.

I like them flyers as they are now and already gave my feedback/suggestions how to improve the whole system: https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/168585-wasted-wild-levels-put-into-speed-change-suggestion/

I think current situation is perfect for ^.

Depends on the size of the animal you want.

Personally I love taking my spinos everywhere--while they do suffer from low carry weight they can go absolutely anywhere with no problem, and almost nothing is dumb enough to bother them. Getting through the middle of the swamp can be kind of a pain though, because of all the trees. But from the tops of mountains to the ocean depths, spinos can simply go where you need to be.

I'm also going to suggest my second favorite mount right now: the allosaurus. Allos are fast, they're almost as good at navigating terrain as spinos, they have higher base carry weight, and they're just big enough that not much will go out of their way to bother them. They are terrible at swimming but as long as the water is shallow you're fine. They're smaller too, so they can get through the swamp and any other dense forested areas very easily.

The Equus I've had a chance to mess with and I actually really like them, however you do have to be really careful not to get stuck or run out of stamina while riding them. They have very low HP, so you're reliant on your ability to completely avoid threats. That said I had no problem outdistancing raptors on a low level one with no speed boosts. Their stamina is fantastic, they can run for days and they have very good base carry weight, so you can travel swiftly and carry a lot of stuff. Plus the crafting saddle is neat. The elk is also a good contender for this space since the males at least can actually defend themselves against smaller predators, and they are also fast with good stamina. The downside being that you'd have to provide their food since they can't forage, while the equus can.

If you want some real versatility and comfort I actually could recommend a paracer with a platform saddle. They're actually decently fast for their size, and that nice carry weight means you'd be able to transport a decent amount of goods long distances if you needed to. They're also tough enough to take on anything short of a giga or alpha rex if you needed to.

It's worth noting that there are several animals, especially around the swamp that can take you right off a smaller mount, which is a consideration given your travel needs. It's one reason why I'm suggesting mostly medium to large animals. Personally I spend most of my time on land(ish) mounts and I am rarely concerned for my safety. Just keep your eyes open, keep moving, and always have an escape plan. And of course give gigas and alphas a wide berth, since you can't outrun those; the best you can do is lead them to something else they can attack and hope they get distracted long enough for you to get out of range, assuming you live that long.

We've been running around on a Baryonyx, actually. They move at a decent speed whether on land or in water. They're mounted-combat-capable as well, which is a godsend if you need to tame underwater dinos. Carrying capacity isn't too terrible either.

Actually taming one is easy enough as they're bola-able; this can be a pro and a con depending on pvp or pve.

Only real downside i'd say is the level 45 saddle requirement.

I personally liked the Direbear or Rhino for fast traveling. They both start with a slow jog then burst into full run mode. Stamina usage is not too bad on either of them and they can take care of most mobs they run into fairly quickly, especially the Direbear. On my Server I tamed a 140 Direbear (currently 208), has over 5k HP and 500% damage, dispatches almost anything in under 20s. It also can cross the entire Island from West to East in about 7 minutes.

6 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

yep, i have seen that dev post. But i dont consider "game is unplayable", "i demand unnerf", "lets post negative reviews until they unnerf", "i quit" as a constructive feedback.

I like them flyers as they are now and already gave my feedback/suggestions how to improve the whole system: https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/168585-wasted-wild-levels-put-into-speed-change-suggestion/

I think current situation is perfect for ^.

As it stands, the only way a flier is usable is full points into stam. I tested this quite a lot on a private server with spawned pteras with almost exact stats to mine. Now, I'm very hesitant to drop the 45-50 points into stam that are required to make the damn things usable because if they partially revert the stam nerf, which I suspect they will, then suddenly I have a bird with overkill amounts of stam. If I thought they'd be refunding points for re-allocation, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The recent change with no points refunded has shown me that will likely not be the case.

As it stands, anyone that's made a full weight or health quetz with 50 points or so in have a quetz that's now unusable as they have no points to put toward stam, and even a good quetz has under 1k stam.

So for me, when I say the game is unplayable, it's because I don't want to completely ruin my birds by using all the points in stam, which is more or less required to make them usable at this point. I think this nerf was over done, and poorly implemented. I fully agree that pteras and quetzals needed nerfed, but I think the nerf was unbelievably overdone. I can't imagine what a tamed ptera would be like right now if my bred ptera is as bad as it is.

14 minutes ago, Prat said:

As it stands, the only way a flier is usable is full points into stam. I tested this quite a lot on a private server with spawned pteras with almost exact stats to mine. Now, I'm very hesitant to drop the 45-50 points into stam that are required to make the damn things usable because if they partially revert the stam nerf, which I suspect they will, then suddenly I have a bird with overkill amounts of stam. If I thought they'd be refunding points for re-allocation, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The recent change with no points refunded has shown me that will likely not be the case.

As it stands, anyone that's made a full weight or health quetz with 50 points or so in have a quetz that's now unusable as they have no points to put toward stam, and even a good quetz has under 1k stam.

So for me, when I say the game is unplayable, it's because I don't want to completely ruin my birds by using all the points in stam, which is more or less required to make them usable at this point. I think this nerf was over done, and poorly implemented. I fully agree that pteras and quetzals needed nerfed, but I think the nerf was unbelievably overdone. I can't imagine what a tamed ptera would be like right now if my bred ptera is as bad as it is.

As i understand it, pteras are entry level flyers (and are too easy to get). So trying to make them rival higher level tames in terms of flying capacity should require sacrifices to be made. On other hand we have Tapejaras and Argents that require more effort in taming and breeding, but high level ones dont have a stamina issue that Pteras have.

Quetzals got low stamina, because they (can) provide too much utility. On top of being flying tank and hauler.

Edit: numbers crunch from link above are nice. Always love to read them. They also prove what i have been saying.

Archived