Some advice for new PvP players

DinoMinions

I started playing PvP after I got bored on PvE and none of my PvE friends would go with me so I was on my own for quite a while until I got a foothold on a server. And keep in mind even though you may get to metal and turrets and lots of dino's you can still be wiped. We have been wiped 6 times and have lost many things but we expect it, it is part of the fun. So keep that in mind. 

Searching for a server is the hardest part. I tried 20 or more before finding one. Log in, say hi in chat and see how people respond. Be polite and if someone says something you dont like you need to let it go. If they say hi and give the rules then give it a try. Dont ask who the alpha is, most wont tell you. It puts a target on their back if you are a troll. If you dont get a good feeling then leave and try another. 

Rule #1: Do not raid people. If you are just starting out and want to grow enough to stay on the server then killing peoples tames and stealing their cementing paste is not the way to go. Ever hear that old saying dont poop where you eat? It is the number 1 rule to keep your base safe. If you feel like you need a little raid to keep things fun then transfer out and troll another server. Do not mess with the people who have let you build and helped you out. 

Basic knowledge: Do not beg for stuff in global chat. If you need something ask, if no one responds try later. But I have built many stone bases with stone tools so try to keep chat to a minimum, being too lazy to get your own stuff puts a target on your back and all that chatter can get you wiped from someone who has just had enough listening to you babble on in global. And I generally stay out of chat completely unless someone asks for me. You dont need people knowing you just scored 1000 CP. Its like showing your new 50 inch flat screen on facebook then telling the world you are going on vacation for a week.

Do not build on the beach. Build in the trees and DO NOT chop the stone or trees around your base. You only need something big enough for a bed, fire and a small storage box to start leveling up. I usually only start building in stone but if you are a new player you are going to need the exp to get to stone so start with thatch, get to wood and then stone. Kill dodo's and parasaurs for hide for your bed. Do not build too close to metal nodes. Not only will people wipe you if you block them but people will be coming to mine it do you really want all those people walking by your base every day? Ive mined with stone tools running back and forth for 20 metal to burn for metal tools. Its a hassle but you need to stay out of sight. 

Once you have a stone base with a bed you have a couple of choices:

A: Find another spot with an eye for expansion leaving your current small stone base as backup. (I usually place 4 small stone bases at different places on the map) Just put your stuff in your box and then kill yourself and spawn somewhere else and build another base, it will help with leveling and allow you to explore and see who is built where. 

B: Expand where you are. But keep in mind you need to stay out of sight for as long as possible so scope out the tree coverage and think about how many people you have seen in your days there. The less people the better. 

Once you have that figured out, only expand enough to put a smithy, forge, preserving bin and more small boxes in your base. The forge can go outside on a foundation.

When you decide on where your base will stay, build a compost bin or two and two medium crop plots and plant mejo and narcoberries. Tame some dodos for eggs and feces. Start grinding out narcotics and keep the mejos for quick taming dodos for eggs in case you see a low level and dont feel like gathering berries. Then when you can plant the veggies, you wont need stim berries for a while. You can use the poop from your dodos for the compost bin, I have also been known to follow dinos on the beach around. Creepy yet effective. 

Keep a dodo in your house so if someone hits you if they kill the dodos you know who the culprits are and can keep an ear out to see if they are just being trolls or if the alpha or beta is not allowing you to build. And if you are hit DO NOT SAY ANYTHING IN CHAT. Its PvP you are going to get hit. If you took my advice about multiple bases then you should have 3 more spawn points to keep going or choose another server.

Dont burn fires at night if you are trying to stay out of sight. 

If you see someone run. Trust no one. If you approach them they may think you are hostile and kill you.

Build small, you dont need tames right away!! I cannot say this enough. Yes dino's are a big part of the game but it sucks when you lose them Before you get your first low level bird you will need 75 chitin/keratin for the saddle so you need to be focusing on that before taming. Also keep in mind that you shouldnt tame anything you cannot protect and wood spike walls are not protection. 

Once you are at stone you should just be grinding for levels to get to metal building.  

Now repeat this 20 or more times and you should be able to play on PvP and remember no matter how big you think you are, there is always someone bigger. Xplants and turrets until you think you have enough and then double it!

1 hour ago, DinoMinions said:

I started playing PvP after I got bored on PvE and none of my PvE friends would go with me so I was on my own for quite a while until I got a foothold on a server. And keep in mind even though you may get to metal and turrets and lots of dino's you can still be wiped. We have been wiped 6 times and have lost many things but we expect it, it is part of the fun. So keep that in mind. 

Searching for a server is the hardest part. I tried 20 or more before finding one. Log in, say hi in chat and see how people respond. Be polite and if someone says something you dont like you need to let it go. If they say hi and give the rules then give it a try. Dont ask who the alpha is, most wont tell you. It puts a target on their back if you are a troll. If you dont get a good feeling then leave and try another. 

Rule #1: Do not raid people. If you are just starting out and want to grow enough to stay on the server then killing peoples tames and stealing their cementing paste is not the way to go. Ever hear that old saying dont poop where you eat? It is the number 1 rule to keep your base safe. If you feel like you need a little raid to keep things fun then transfer out and troll another server. Do not mess with the people who have let you build and helped you out. 

Basic knowledge: Do not beg for stuff in global chat. If you need something ask, if no one responds try later. But I have built many stone bases with stone tools so try to keep chat to a minimum, being too lazy to get your own stuff puts a target on your back and all that chatter can get you wiped from someone who has just had enough listening to you babble on in global. And I generally stay out of chat completely unless someone asks for me. You dont need people knowing you just scored 1000 CP. Its like showing your new 50 inch flat screen on facebook then telling the world you are going on vacation for a week.

Do not build on the beach. Build in the trees and DO NOT chop the stone or trees around your base. You only need something big enough for a bed, fire and a small storage box to start leveling up. I usually only start building in stone but if you are a new player you are going to need the exp to get to stone so start with thatch, get to wood and then stone. Kill dodo's and parasaurs for hide for your bed. Do not build too close to metal nodes. Not only will people wipe you if you block them but people will be coming to mine it do you really want all those people walking by your base every day? Ive mined with stone tools running back and forth for 20 metal to burn for metal tools. Its a hassle but you need to stay out of sight. 

A: Find another spot with an eye for expansion leaving your current small stone base as backup. (I usually place 4 small stone bases at different places on the map) Just put your stuff in your box and then kill yourself and spawn somewhere else and build another base, it will help with leveling and allow you to explore and see who is built where. 

B: Expand where you are. But keep in mind you need to stay out of sight for as long as possible so scope out the tree coverage and think about how many people you have seen in your days there. The less people the better. 

Once you have that figured out, only expand enough to put a smithy, forge, preserving bin and more small boxes in your base. The forge can go outside on a foundation.

When you decide on where your base will stay, build a compost bin or two and two medium crop plots and plant mejo and narcoberries. Tame some dodos for eggs and feces. Start grinding out narcotics and keep the mejos for quick taming dodos for eggs in case you see a low level and dont feel like gathering berries. Then when you can plant the veggies, you wont need stim berries for a while. You can use the poop from your dodos for the compost bin, I have also been known to follow dinos on the beach around. Creepy yet effective. 

Keep a dodo in your house so if someone hits you if they kill the dodos you know who the culprits are and can keep an ear out to see if they are just being trolls or if the alpha or beta is not allowing you to build. And if you are hit DO NOT SAY ANYTHING IN CHAT. Its PvP you are going to get hit. If you took my advice about multiple bases then you should have 3 more spawn points to keep going or choose another server.

If you see someone run. Trust no one. If you approach them they may think you are hostile and kill you.

Build small, you dont need tames right away!! I cannot say this enough. Yes dino's are a big part of the game but it sucks when you lose them Before you get your first low level bird you will need 75 chitin/keratin for the saddle so you need to be focusing on that before taming. Also keep in mind that you shouldnt tame anything you cannot protect and wood spike walls are not protection. 

Once you are at stone you should just be grinding for levels to get to metal building.  

Now repeat this 20 or more times and you should be able to play on PvP and remember no matter how big you think you are, there is always someone bigger. Xplants and turrets until you think you have enough and then double it!

Very good advice and all of it is true. Very sad that this is what the game has become though. I would tell someone new the same things you did but I would also tell them not to play official pvp to begin with. Officials are just pathetic now.

i would tell them to try the new no tame servers though. That would actually be the best way for a player to figure out how the game works with needing to worry about some dragon or giga coming and crushing everything he has.arleast with no tame toy can defend yourself so even though I agree with what you said I would suggest a new player go to the no tame first.

On 3/18/2017 at 9:42 AM, Volcano637 said:

Very good advice and all of it is true. Very sad that this is what the game has become though. I would tell someone new the same things you did but I would also tell them not to play official pvp to begin with. Officials are just pathetic now.

i would tell them to try the new no tame servers though. That would actually be the best way for a player to figure out how the game works with needing to worry about some dragon or giga coming and crushing everything he has.arleast with no tame toy can defend yourself so even though I agree with what you said I would suggest a new player go to the no tame first.

I couldnt agree more. Official is terrible, but I too have enjoyed the no tame servers very much. I played hard for the first few weeks and even now I go on and rebuild my base right quick (got completely emptied a week ago), because I can just imagine how they feel when they put all that effort into raiding me to find its empty :). My 6x6x3 honey combed base and my raft have survives over a month now. 

Id say that experiment is a success.

Also op all your tips were spot on, thanks, rep given

On 18/03/2017 at 0:22 PM, DinoMinions said:

I've only just started playing and jumped straight to a PVP server.. Has basically been my game play.. although I announced myself last night in chat.. Will see if that was a mistake or not.. Will just move spot if it has lol..

Might have to have a look at the new new no tame servers

Really good advice overall! Keeping a low profile and spreading out your resources are key to longer term survival in official PvP. I also suggest establishing an outpost on another server where transferring in and out is viable. It's great for storing high value BPs (especially duplicates) but most importantly if poop really hits the fan on your home server you have a quick exit plan.

Archived