Hosting multiple servers on one dedicated box

KGM6911

I've setup a dedicated server with linux.  I've been moving my servers to it one at a time.  I moved the first 3 with no issue at all.  Then I went to move the next group of 4 and they're behaving strange.  Some people are able to connect to them and some are not.  The ports are all open in iptables.  I've tried changing the ports a number of times to find a combination that works better for people.  Are there some ports that can't be used?  Why is it that some people can connect and some cant.  I can be on the server playing and others who are trying to connect say that they get server is not responding error. The games are running smooth.  The total CPU usage is less than 10%.  There is plenty of memory available.  Is there some sort of limit to how many instances you can run on a box?  Here are the servers that are giving me the problem:

The servers have plenty of bandwidth also.

https://arkservers.net/server/149.56.106.67:27018

https://arkservers.net/server/149.56.106.67:27025

https://arkservers.net/server/149.56.106.67:27026

Or can someone give me a list of ports that will work?  I'd like to possibly host up to 10 servers on this box.  The hardware should be able to handle it.  I'm not looking for lots of high population servers.  Here's a link to the hardware that I'm using:  https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/details-servers-range-GAME-id-MC-128-LD.xml

1 hour ago, KGM6911 said:

I've setup a dedicated server with linux.  I've been moving my servers to it one at a time.  I moved the first 3 with no issue at all.  Then I went to move the next group of 4 and they're behaving strange.  Some people are able to connect to them and some are not.  The ports are all open in iptables.  I've tried changing the ports a number of times to find a combination that works better for people.  Are there some ports that can't be used?  Why is it that some people can connect and some cant.  I can be on the server playing and others who are trying to connect say that they get server is not responding error. The games are running smooth.  The total CPU usage is less than 10%.  There is plenty of memory available.  Is there some sort of limit to how many instances you can run on a box?  Here are the servers that are giving me the problem:

The servers have plenty of bandwidth also.

https://arkservers.net/server/149.56.106.67:27018

https://arkservers.net/server/149.56.106.67:27025

https://arkservers.net/server/149.56.106.67:27026

7 servers on one box?  This will work good as long till you get many players, many structures and dinos tamed.

Thats my recommendation:

Dual Core CPU  --> 1 Server

Quad Core CPU --> 2 Servers

6 Core CPU  --> 3 Servers

8 Core CPU --> 4 Servers

And so on....

If your doing that, you have to set the affinity (Cores which may used by each server) for each server.  Otherwise your Core0 will be completely overloaded as soon as you have some players on your servers.

Regarding your Problem... i don't know

And again, the servers themselves are really very responsive.. No lag at all at the moment.  They haven't been very busy but they're still faster than they were on the shared hosting with old host.  I'm thinking it's more of a port issue..  I can switch the ports from one server to another and then the problem will follow the ports.

30 minutes ago, KGM6911 said:

And again, the servers themselves are really very responsive.. No lag at all at the moment.  They haven't been very busy but they're still faster than they were on the shared hosting with old host.  I'm thinking it's more of a port issue..  I can switch the ports from one server to another and then the problem will follow the ports.

So then i think you have some wrong configuration in your firewall settings... or you have not restartet the firewall service after done some changes. Im a linux nb, so i can't say exactly how to. But i know that this firewall service has to been restarted after some changes.

Try to restart your host, then the firewall settings are loaded for sure.

The port 27018 isn't a problem..i'm using it too.

Regarding performance. Do not trust the CPU usage. ARK dedicated is really bad programmed. (At least on windows). 

My server can't use more than 25% of the CPU power for the ark servers (quad core).

If i run 1 server --> 25% max.

If i run 4 servers --> 25% max.  

Not even when i set the affinities for each server to seperate cores. The overall usage (ark processes) never goes above 25%.  So somewhere there is a really really bad code part   Maybe a Hyperthreading problem...Maybe only affecting Win10... i don't know.  Unfortunately i do not have enough players to detect the real problem.

Linux top command reports cpu usage as percentage of one CPU core, so for example I regularly see my ark server hit 120% or more, meaning it is using more than 1 core.  

You could try turning of the fire wall entirely and see if the problem persists, not permanently but as a test.    I would recommend less servers, unless you are re-selling them why have 10?

Lol I'm just an addict... When my players ask for something  I try to give it to them.. Can never say no...  I'm going to split them up in to different boxes for now.  I'm thinking there is an issue with ark tho.      So top isn't a reliable way to check cpu?  Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks again for all the help!

32 minutes ago, KGM6911 said:

Lol I'm just an addict... When my players ask for something  I try to give it to them.. Can never say no...  I'm going to split them up in to different boxes for now.  I'm thinking there is an issue with ark tho.      So top isn't a reliable way to check cpu?  Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks again for all the help!

NO, top is reliable, it just reads the values of the cpu usage of each process, and displays it as a percentage of a single core, not as a percentage of all cores.  So for running things like ark it is perfect.   When it tells you it is 25% you know that it is fine, one core is ticking along nicely...   on a 4 core cpu in top you could have (in theory but not reality) a multithreaded process at 400% cpu usage.

On a system that reads a percentage of all cores (I think windows does it this way but I am not sure)  a reading of 25% in a 4 core chip would be like 1 core maxed out and that would be a problem for a single threaded process, and ark is mostly single threaded, I think the networking is threaded but the main loop is single threaded.  I might be wrong about that though.  

I've seen similar long time ago with linux and it was a port conflict issue. What OS are you running?

Have you tried running the servers with more space between the ports? For example: First Server 27015, Second Server 27025, etc. This solved the issue for us.

We have hosted as many as 6 on one server, but maintain 4 per server to ensure performance. Our issue was having enough HD space, people like to load up mods!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived