6 months after EA launch [Message to devs]

MadTek

Hello,

First of all I have to say I love your franchise, was already fan of ASE (900h into it XD) and bought ASA day one but I need to talk about certain points with Ark in general.

If I make no mistake your working on Ark since 2014 so we can say almost 10 years into this which is fantastic and awesome dedication!

You see me coming and there is a BUT in this story. You're capable of creating literally a masterpiece in survival mechanics but when it comes to optimizations all goes wrong, it's been 6 months now that ASA launched in EA and the performances are still so crap.

I don't even have a potato PC, I'm running this on a 7900xtx, 32GB Ram and a Ryzen 5600 (which need to be upgraded I know but still very fine for my use cases and not bottlenecking) and the game just cannot maintain constant 60fps at 1080p whatever the graphic preset (at 100% resolution scale).

So here I am 6 months later with a game I love but cannot really enjoy to play because of massive frame drops and stutters while withdrawing 400W+ of power when games like Cyberpunk 2077 run smooth on psycho settings with better visuals graphics but consuming less than 250W at locked 60fps 1080p...

I know this is a problem since ASE and maybe you need to take care of it at some point, we all know UE5 can run much better than this. I really hope you gonna take a deep dive into it to finally give your game the optimizations it deserve.

All that said, big love and support to the Wildcard Studio for all the work they providing giving us this masterpiece of a game <3

PS: Original thread on Steam (steamcommunity.com/app/2399830/discussions/0/4357871935586804098/)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why Wildcard completely ignore people complaining about optimizations in this game, here but also in Steam, the only PC platform where they sell the game, the reviews page is a blood bath.

Not even a Twitter/X post to say that they heard players and will address those issues.

I bought ASA in EA day one to actually support the studio, not played much because of immersion breaking perfs issues and when we bring feedback we're getting ignored. Don't count on me to buy any DLC nor Ark 2 if things don't change. I love this game, so sad things turned that way....

Edited by MadTek
  • Sad 1

I'll say a prayer for the PC crowd but on ps5 it actually runs and looks great. There have been a multiple times over the past few days on SE where I've actually stopped to marvel at how good the game looks.

When you're flying by an obelisk at night and the surrounding area is bathed in the glow of it, the game just looks gorgeous. 

I've been as critical of WC as anyone else but I've been truly enjoying the game lately. Its got its hooks in me again.

Maybe its down to the increased power of the ps5 because on ps4 ASE ran like garbage from day 1 until the end. I would get constant stutters and frame drops. On ps5 its buttery smooth.

I guess WC just sucks at PC optimization. 

Edited by St1ckyBandit

20 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

I guess WC just sucks at PC optimization. 

Dont forget the enormous amount of different setups available for PCs. Makes it pretty hard to find a good balance.

Some players think they can play ASA with the setup for ASE 5 years ago. Seen people complain while playing on a potatoe. HDD, 8gb ram, 970 card, i5, etc, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2024 at 4:44 AM, CptYarrr said:

Dont forget the enormous amount of different setups available for PCs. Makes it pretty hard to find a good balance.

Some players think they can play ASA with the setup for ASE 5 years ago. Seen people complain while playing on a potatoe. HDD, 8gb ram, 970 card, i5, etc, etc.

Yeah, and I'm used to having to make caveats for some games. Like to play Horizon at 7680x1440 I have to reduce a few premium settings. Can play with mostly maxxed settings at 2560x1440 without an issue though. Averaging 100-120FPS. 

Most games at 1440p play quite well on my system. I don't usually try for maxed our graphic settings either, but usually go with a moderately high setting. Often reducing shadows, reflections, and other premium features for better FPS.

Ark on the other hand, I am going to have to lean on making core ini changes to remove video features like clouds completely and make the game look like ass just to get it steadily over 60FPS. 

And to be fully clear, this isn't some archaic hardware either. Not the latest and greatest, but more than capable.

CPU : AMD R9 3900X OC'ed to 4.25GHz
RAM : 32B DDR4 at 3200Mhz
GPU : MSI Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming Z Trio with stock OC (have tried boosting core clock and VRAM, and it made almost zero difference with ASA)
Monitor : Samsung 32" G5 Odyssey 1440p x3
OS drive : 500GB Evo 860 SATA SSD
Game drive : A pair of 2TB Sabrent Rocket Q4's in RAID-0
Steam/Saves drive : 2TB Seagate BarraCuda 120 SATA SSD

I will also note that the game is fully excluded from security software. I have removed any possible bloat from this system, and Windows 11 is tweaked as optimally as possible.  So far A:SA is the only game that I struggle to maintain a decent framerate in, and it has been getting progressively worse with the recent updates.

• Sad 1