help Any HELP appreciated: Lost a years progress in ARK xbox x single player

indy317

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I haven't seen a "HELP" section or tab... I'm hoping one of you all might throw me a bone...feel free to give me a heads up on a better place to search for assistance.

I want to start by saying this is probably one of if not the favorite of any game I’ve played. I play on Xbox series X, single player. On my single player island map, I had been working on building, taming and leveling up for about a year. My character was somewhere in the 90+ lvl, I had a sprawling base with dino pens, the fabricator, chemical stand several forges, bases, boats etc etc. I also had well over 100 tamed dinosaurs of many species. While playing during the raptor claus event, my game froze while I was mid-flight on an argent. After 30-40 minutes the game would not un-freeze nor could I exit the game. After restarting the console, I entered the saved game, and it is as if I have started over completely except for the character level- all items, base builds, dinosaurs, everything- gone, as if it never existed. Probably 1-200 hours worth...

I’m heartbroken to say the least, ark is one of the few games I play anymore. Many of the wide variety of Dino’s I had tamed were leveled beyond 50, my main base stretches the length of the starting peninsula, I had several boats specialized for transport, trapping and exploration. Large breeding program, extensive builds. All gone. Just a level 90 something character standing naked on a beach.

Any place I might start to resolve this issue? I've posted to the sub reddit, many views, no response. I've sent a message similar to this to wildcard twice, no response. I've deleted and re-installed the game, no dice. I've even logged in from my old xbox one, same result. I've contacted microsoft, they told me to contact wildcard.

I'm playing on version 1.1.962.6, ASE. What should I put as the 'Client version number' and the 'server version number' etc (if relevant) in xbox single player mode so that I might post this glitch to the devs? Or should I look elsewhere? Tia for any helpful responses...

I’m truly hoping that someone can help me to retrieve what I have lost. If it were a few levels or dinos, a boss fight or something similar I could shrug it off, but this situation is crushing...

A similar thing happened to me recently.  See my post from last Saturday:

From what I've read, there is nothing that can be done to recover your world.  Console versions of Ark don't provide any way to roll back to a previous save.  Please reply back here or in my thread if you find a solution.

If you don't find a solution and really want to get back what you lost, you can give it back to yourself via admin commands.  Before official servers shut down, I wrote down all my breeder dinos' stats and took pictures of blueprints.  I then started a local world and recreated everything.  The base rebuilding is tedious, as is entering dino spawn commands.  But it is possible to get stuff back - if you know what you had.  I just can't bring myself to do it knowing it could get erased again.

I would set up a PC server, but don't know if I care enough to invest that time at this point.  I've been Ark-free for 4 days.  ASA is a no-go for me for this very reason.  Official PVE appears over crowded.  You can't set up a PC server and play ASA on an XBox like you can ASE.  Sadly, I will probably stay Ark free.

@DinoFan Ty for the response. I'll def circle back if I manage to get anything resolved, but it's hard to feel optimistic given how many cases there are like ours left unattended. It's a shame, great game concept but knowing that you can lose 100s of hours of work without recourse really sours the experience.

I haven't used admin commands, is this possible on console? I assume this would require an wireless keyboard to be linked?

• Volunteer Moderator
13 minutes ago, indy317 said:

I haven't used admin commands, is this possible on console?

Yes. The best way is to use the Xbox app on your phone or PC and copy paste your admin commands through it after connecting to your Xbox. 

It's painfully slow. 

Edited by Joebl0w13
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteer Moderator

I hate to say it but this game in single player is notorious for erasing hours, days, weeks, months and years of game time on consoles. 

I would never play that version. It's really worth it to rent a Nitrado server even if you only intend on playing 'single player'. That's what I've done for years. It's always painful to read these types of posts. 

Edited by Joebl0w13
  • Facepalm 1

I've never played on a console since what.. Sega Mega Drive? But maybe you can access its filesystem somehow and get your world files and try to restore your world or at least Character on PC?

Its possible that backup world files are created on console same way they do on PC (and on PC Ark backups Every world At Least three times, so many times it crashed it restores nicely at least)

• Like 1

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, KA19 said:

I've never played on a console since what.. Sega Mega Drive? But maybe you can access its filesystem somehow and get your world files and try to restore your world or at least Character on PC?

Its possible that backup world files are created on console same way they do on PC (and on PC Ark backups Every world At Least three times, so many times it crashed it restores nicely at least)

There are no backups on console and you don't have any access to the filesystem. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Sure you can. You can set up a crossplay server on your own PC (server). 

When did this change?   The wiki still says it is not possible:
https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Dedicated_server_setup

From the Survival Ascended restrictions section near the top of that page:
"It is not possible to self-host a cross-platform dedicated server or a server for a platform other than Steam."

• Like 1

• Volunteer Moderator
22 minutes ago, DinoFan said:

When did this change?   The wiki still says it is not possible:
https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Dedicated_server_setup

From the Survival Ascended restrictions section near the top of that page:
"It is not possible to self-host a cross-platform dedicated server or a server for a platform other than Steam."

Guess you can't then 😆

• Haha 1

@Joebl0w13

23 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Yes. The best way is to use the Xbox app on your phone or PC and copy paste your admin commands through it after connecting to your Xbox. 

It's painfully slow. 

Thanks for the heads up on the admin commands. I'm guessing that from:

22 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

There are no backups on console and you don't have any access to the filesystem. 

that there's no way to backup game saves on console? I was considering rebuilding with my naked lvl 90+, but no backup option sort of kills it for me- I like to play on my big screen and have several people come in and out on local co op. Seems no backup ability is a fairly significant design flaw. Is this still the case when hosting your server or using the console to host? Or even being able to save to the external HD would seem to be an achievable upgrade...

• Volunteer Moderator
55 minutes ago, indy317 said:

@Joebl0w13

Thanks for the heads up on the admin commands. I'm guessing that from:

that there's no way to backup game saves on console? I was considering rebuilding with my naked lvl 90+, but no backup option sort of kills it for me- I like to play on my big screen and have several people come in and out on local co op. Seems no backup ability is a fairly significant design flaw. Is this still the case when hosting your server or using the console to host? Or even being able to save to the external HD would seem to be an achievable upgrade...

Unfortunately you are correct. You can't even save your data on an external volume. 

The safest way to play this game and avoid losing your progress or character is to rent a server from Nitrado. With one of those servers, you have as near or in some cases more control over your map (server) than in single player as well as backups and quite a few other nice features. It's also far less buggy than single player or non-dedicated. It's the only way to play the game in my opinion. You can invite whomever you like whenever you like to play on your map. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, indy317 said:

@DinoFan@Joebl0w13 So it isn't possible to host a cross-platform dedicated server for ASA, but would it be possible for ASE (what I've been playing)? I know, I'm grasping at straws here...just slowly moving toward the 'acceptance' stage of grief 🥲

Yes.  You can setup your own ASE server on your own PC (rather than rent from Nitrado or some other company).  I intended to indicate that in my initial reply.  It probably was obscured by my rambling.  I just am not motivated to do it.  ASA might be enough to get me to do it.  But, we can't on ASA.

• Thanks 1

I'd go with ASE now because it  seems to be much more mature and developed, with less bugs than ASA yet, so even if ASA were released on Epic or Gog right now I doubt I would try it before another year or so of patches (it's how I usullay play games: let someone else test and debug it:)

On ASE it seems comparably easy to setup cross-platform, and there are plenty of guides even the one on old Wiki here

https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Dedicated_server_setup

I'm just unsure if I want to use SteamCMD, or find another way, and when.

With your own server its your rules, full filesystem access and you can backup anything: saves, settings

Edited by KA19
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2024 at 6:03 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

Unfortunately you are correct. You can't even save your data on an external volume. 

The safest way to play this game and avoid losing your progress or character is to rent a server from Nitrado. With one of those servers, you have as near or in some cases more control over your map (server) than in single player as well as backups and quite a few other nice features. It's also far less buggy than single player or non-dedicated. It's the only way to play the game in my opinion. You can invite whomever you like whenever you like to play on your map. 

@Joebl0w13@KA19@DinoFan Thanks for the helpful responses guys/gals (?). I'm settling in to having lost everything. Oh well, $h!t happens. I'm going to likely look into hosting through Nitrado, as Joebl0w13 suggested. I was aware of it and had considered it for future ark endeavors. I finally got into this crazy game because we have game pass, so maybe the $ we saved from playing the game for 'free' will offset the cost of renting the server. We also have a pile of server components we haven't learned to assemble yet, maybe this will inspire us (my son and I) to finally build that unit. Ty KA19 for dropping the info on setting up the cross platform, at least I know where I might restart. DinoFan, hang in there, I appreciate the input and the solidarity. 👍