Dedicated Server: RAM bug / causes crashes

Aracin2k

On my Windows server (12900k, 128Gb RAM, NvmE SSD, Windows Server 2022, hosted by Hetzner) two The Island WP maps from ASA are installed and are also being played regularly.
Unfortunately I have to restart the maps at least 5 to 6 times because the 128GB RAM is full. One of the maps is then at 70GB.

There is also another error:
One of the two maps uses 100% of the RAM from now on. This has already happened twice today. The second map then has no more RAM available, the whole Windows lags and the players fly off both maps.

Example from earlier:
A total of 40% RAM is in use (Windows, services, both maps), then all of a sudden map 1 has 100% in use.

Both problems (that the maps use far too much RAM and have to be restarted often) and that suddenly one of the maps is using 100% are really a problem.

Does anyone else have this and maybe even a solution? Does WC know about it?

image.png
This is after 3 Hours

grafik.png.48be7a8a8554ad514768f411001fb25f.png
This happened twice today, one of the two maps took up all the RAM, happened within a second

No Mods, the Map with the high Memory hase 80 to 100 Players Online, the second Map 30 to 50.
I realise that the map with 100 players needs more resources, but it's really blatant how quickly the RAM fills up and the problem that the RAM goes from 30% to 100% within a second and everything crashes is an additional problem...

Do you guys have still this high RAM usage? I'm struggling how to host in the future a cluster when already the island (small map) and 7-8 players needs already around 13-14 GB RAM usage.

After i received from a user from ark discord this screenshot, i'm super confused

image.png.f0aa4f5f8c9aab739f39ee2dcc009d52.png

His server only needs under 4GB RAM, on win11.

I tried the same (also with same start options) as he is doing under:

1. ubuntu 20.04 with docker/wine (benchmark map, 13GB)
  2. debian proxmox: windows10 VM  (fresh wiped map 10,54GB)image.png.4d3f6e5c53544d15bc37fc1cf9c272ed.png
  3. debian proxmox: windows11 VM  (fresh wiped map 9,7GB)image.png.1db5d36bbdcb02c0dba7ab34c8f3b9b1.png
  4. On my own pc (win10) (will edit lator)
  5. Nitrado (7-8 active players, starts with 14GB end of the day up tp 18GB+)

The fresh wipe maps are without any conencted players (.arkprofiles/.arktribes)

On 11/5/2023 at 10:57 PM, Larkfields said:

Is anyone able to connect before it starts eating memory?
I'm wondering if the save file is corrupt.

Also - can I ask how you manage to get so many players online ?  Is there some config that allows ASA to run across multiple cores, or to use less CPU time than default?

+1 for this question... i have rent a dedicated server with an Intel 8700 128GB RAM only for ONE asa server. I let connect 7 players and already saw the server fps are jumping from 15-30 (30 is the limit)

The user with the low-memory was really friendly and helpful. We tried to find out, what is the different between our systems. We found it. He has more virtualMemory on his windows machine configured. So, i took now the same settings (start 12gb, end 30gb) and here we go:

image.png?ex=655cf52b&is=654a802b&hm=40dd8479d0f2efa987e9943a051c0bc682fb425f43123dd5ea9c124ced66e2fe&

Multiple questions in my head

• i cannot imagine this is good for performance, if the players count going high?
  • what happend if now players join?
    • he said mostly the same, also with 3 active players on different locations
  • is that why there is so many crap loaded from the gameserver? maybe additional logging because of early access and debugging stuff for the devs?

Will test more on it...

Edited by pleinx

20 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Windows 10 Pro here.

ASA is on 23.4 GB right now with 20 players.
Was 5.3 GB first thing this morning with 2 players.

I'll try to look again in a couple of hours.

Check your virtual memory (pagesys) and hibernation file. A ASA Server takes always on Initial (empty Map) around 10GB. 

Depends on your system settings, the sever moves with the time into the virtual memory. You can also observe this in the Taskmanager or process explorer Tool.