living turret tower (DOSSIER!!!) Introducing Dreadnoughtus, the Terrestrial Battleship!

On 9/2/2023 at 1:04 AM, DynastyOfDragons said:

As a solo player I honestly think this here like the titanosaurs feeding that can be turned on this needs
its own turn off on switch I play solo a lot and I can see a lot of effort has gone in but to me and many other solo players this would just be annoying to deal with. I say cause even playing now I have to manage my dinos from top to bottom feeding, breeding, hunting and much much more. So its just my opinion that it has an on/off mode because adding a dino that can ruin hours of hard work because its needy is kind of a double edge sword and not the good kind and will most likely then not make people avoid taming such a volatile Dino. 

So a minor fix instead of rampaging its instead grumpy and wont do as told till its needs are met.

On 9/2/2023 at 1:04 AM, DynastyOfDragons said:

• ⚠ Maintenance ⚠: Dreadnoughtus are high maintenance creatures as mentioned earlier. This means providing constant care and attending to the dinosaur’s needs. If left ignored, the sauropod’s health will deteriorate, and its Health & Stamina Regeneration Rates will be reduced. Dreadnoughtus will actively rampage and destroy your base if it is neglected long enough. While it can be kept in a cryopod, its rage will increase the longer it remains in the cryopod. Sending it out won’t immediately trigger the rampage, but the next instance of ignoring its needs will do the trick. This is also only active when the tribe is online, so you don’t have to worry about waking up at 4:00 in the morning to take care of it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Azevedo128 said:

How would their maintenance mechanic interact with Cryo Pods? If someone could just Cryo them and be done with it then the mechanic would be kind of pointless. 

It's directly mentioned in the mechanic section itself. "While it can be kept in a cryopod, its rage will increase the longer it remains in the cryopod. Sending it out won’t immediately trigger the rampage, but the next instance of ignoring its needs will do the trick." Originally, the anger would increase while inside the cryopod overtime and it would rampage on release if left long enough, but now it caps out at a point where it's borderline ready to throw down.

On 9/2/2023 at 4:20 AM, DynastyOfDragons said:

Unlike the Titanosaur, Dreadnoughtus is not a temporary tame. Once you've tamed it, you'll keep it forever. HOWEVER, you have to keep track of its needs and desires through the Maintenance mechanic, meaning you'll need to feed it, bathe it, or let it sleep some. If you don't do what it asks of you, than it will go on a rampage and destroy everything in sight. It's a permanent tame with a huge drawback that balances out it's impressive strength.

With its size it would likely be a temporary tame, sorry to say, I talk from experience, when they did a dev stream about the giant squid they scaled up the squid and people said they wanted that, and the devs said, well then it would be a limited tame, so it had to be smaller to be a permanent tame

This tame idea is not viable at all. Here is why:

1. With the rampaging in your own base and ability to destroy structures, you will have someone hide it in a cryopod, and throw it out causing you to lose your entire base to a rampaged dino. Insiders exist and are a problem.
2. It cannot be used for osds or veins, it would be too big and just break them, you want it to be able to kill corrupteds without damaging the osd or veins.
3. equipment slots would be too overpowered, you'd have a megatribe just slam 5-10 people on it and then just fire everything into a base. Wiping small tribes with a mega was already a problem, why give them even more tools to make the game even worse.
4. Disabling tek is broken, literally just broken, just roar and suddenly the tek gen and forcefield from our fob are down... what do you do? Nothing, you have heavy turrets now, and they just dive bomb you with a bat or owl, blow the gen, and push with something else. gg you can't pvp ever again.
5. The maintenance thing is too in-depth, the attacks are too complex, the abilities are too strong and numerous. you're giving programmers a frigging heart attack asking to have all these features added to it.

Here is how to fix it:

1. Remove maintenance entirely, make it a standard herbivore with no rage function, everyone hates gigas for rampage, just remove rage and maintenance entirely.
2. Give it 1 primary attack, but different directions to face, similar damage on each spot, no armor piercing, just strong attacks that can break metal like meks.
3. Give it a saddle that has 3-4 attachments of some kind, let ballistas, cannons, and stuff be inter-changeable or give it unique attachments like the mek
4. Have it's roar lower the damage output and armor of nearby enemy dinos instead of disabling tek.

40 minutes ago, Marshant874 said:

This tame idea is not viable at all. Here is why:

1. With the rampaging in your own base and ability to destroy structures, you will have someone hide it in a cryopod, and throw it out causing you to lose your entire base to a rampaged dino. Insiders exist and are a problem.
2. It cannot be used for osds or veins, it would be too big and just break them, you want it to be able to kill corrupteds without damaging the osd or veins.
3. equipment slots would be too overpowered, you'd have a megatribe just slam 5-10 people on it and then just fire everything into a base. Wiping small tribes with a mega was already a problem, why give them even more tools to make the game even worse.
4. Disabling tek is broken, literally just broken, just roar and suddenly the tek gen and forcefield from our fob are down... what do you do? Nothing, you have heavy turrets now, and they just dive bomb you with a bat or owl, blow the gen, and push with something else. gg you can't pvp ever again.
5. The maintenance thing is too in-depth, the attacks are too complex, the abilities are too strong and numerous. you're giving programmers a frigging heart attack asking to have all these features added to it.

Here is how to fix it:

1. Remove maintenance entirely, make it a standard herbivore with no rage function, everyone hates gigas for rampage, just remove rage and maintenance entirely.
2. Give it 1 primary attack, but different directions to face, similar damage on each spot, no armor piercing, just strong attacks that can break metal like meks.
3. Give it a saddle that has 3-4 attachments of some kind, let ballistas, cannons, and stuff be inter-changeable or give it unique attachments like the mek
4. Have it's roar lower the damage output and armor of nearby enemy dinos instead of disabling tek.

Reading through this, you actually have a lot of valid points! There are certain things I didn't think about when creating Dread that have opened my eyes here. That being said, I do feel some of these proposals strip Dreadnoughtus of some of its personality and identity, so I'll go in order of what you said and address them individually.

1. The maintenance mechanic is largely there as a means of balance but also gives Dread this personality as a big spoiled brat of sorts. A lot of dinosaurs in ARK lack real personality and feel more like generic tools, so I tried giving my sauropod some of that. It's not nearly as OP as I think a lot of people have been trying to make it out to be, as it would probably be only every couple of hours and it only activates when you're online so you don't have to no life taking care of it.

2. The Dreadnoughtus IS too big to be directly close to an OSD or Element Vein. However, you can position it in a way where it can thwart off incoming Corrupted while not directly hitting the structure you're attempting to defend, since its neck hitbox would most likely not make contact.

3. This is actually a change I WILL make for Dread, nerfing the amount of artillery slots it has available to it. 7 is quite a lot so bringing it down to 5 is not a super bad idea. The issue of small tribes being wiped by mega tribes is also a problem with the PvP system itself and not necessarily the creatures at the tribe's disposal.

4. I will update the effect of the TEK disable to be more clear. I had added the EMP was a way to tie it better with Extinction, and gave it an in-universe reason with it needing a defense mechanism to combat corrupted creatures and TEK machines in its environment. The TEK disable itself is only intended to be a few seconds long, to where players with good timing and execute maneuvers within the timeframe given to them by the disable itself, but it being a manner of skill and not substance.

5. Considering the Dreadnoughtus is an endgame creature, it being overtuned in the way it is isn't as bad as say something like Rhyniognathas or Shadowmanes. Its a massive creature with massive power behind it so it can be used effectively by tribes who know how to use their resources. There are also a notable amount of weaknesses such as its size and the maintenance mechanic that help add drawbacks to the listed abilities. I'm not a big fan of mega beasts with absolutely crazy ability sets, but I figured Dread and what's been proposed here would help the original storyline of ARK end on a bang.

Again, a lot of valid points. I will make changes I feel make sense, and there are some others that I feel compromise what Dread in the end is supposed to be. Thank you for actually sensible feedback with explanation rather than just complaining! :)

• DynastyOfDragons changed the title to Introducing Dreadnoughtus, the Terrestrial Battleship! (UPDATED SIZE)
6 hours ago, DynastyOfDragons said:

It's directly mentioned in the mechanic section itself. "While it can be kept in a cryopod, its rage will increase the longer it remains in the cryopod. Sending it out won’t immediately trigger the rampage, but the next instance of ignoring its needs will do the trick." Originally, the anger would increase while inside the cryopod overtime and it would rampage on release if left long enough, but now it caps out at a point where it's borderline ready to throw down.

Thanks, idk how I missed that. 

• DynastyOfDragons changed the title to (DOSSIER!!!) Introducing Dreadnoughtus, the Terrestrial Battleship!