Kaua’i ‘Ō’ō The Banshee of the Floating Island

Kamikaze36

Suggestion

This is an animal I’m very passionate about and would love to see in game. It’s a Hawaiian bird that was native to the island of Kauai. Unlike most creatures submitted, this is one that went extinct extremely recently. The last female died in 1982 and her male partner was last heard in 1987. Nobody ever found the male, but there’s a recording on YouTube of him calling into the void, hoping that there was one more of the species alive, but they never answered back. The species was officially announced extinct in 1989 after an expedition turned up no clues of their existence.

Diet: berries or keratin
Temperament: docile likely to run when attacked
Time Period: Holocene epoch(current)

Behavior : 
The Kauai Ō’ō is a fascinating creature to behold in the wild. You will hear them long before you find them as their hauntingly beautiful call echos throughout the forests on the Center. Stories are told of a haunting, wailing of banshees on the floating island on the center. Curious survivors have learned that it is this bird of magnificent beauty and vocal possessions, making these sounds into the night . Ōō’s spend most of their time flying in and out of the canopies, calling out to each other in beautiful harmonies. It is near impossible to get the drop on them as the echo from their call reverberates off of any and all nearby creatures. It’s almost as if the frequency of their voices is in tune with the beat of the heart allowing them to always know exactly where anything is within a certain radius of their selves. This is most effective for them, when finding friends and mates from great distances away. While they are more likely to choose flight over fight They are capable of an extremely loud siren wail using this beautiful voice. It’s disorienting to even the largest of creatures, but doesn’t last very long.

Taming : 
Taming an Ōō is a fun and simple matter. As they call out into the unknown all they want is to know there is someone out there calling back. A survivor that can not only find one, but also entice them with a beat and song of their own, will have made a great friend. The drums would make ok instruments to accompany their song and help them keep beat but something more melancholy and melodic would work better. Maybe a new item like a flute or ocarina to better mimic the haunting melody that they produce. Once a survivor has drawn in the attention of an Ōō you have to maintain the melody and match them putting on a beautiful duet. Be careful as this may be a beautiful show, but predators may be drawn into watch as well thinking it’s a dinner bell.

Utility : 
I like the idea of a shoulder pet that can be easy to miss flying around enemy bases. Using parasaurs would be a hard counter in that case. But one the size of a desmodeous that can be a hard counter to wyverns or manas would be awesome as well. Here are ideas for both.
As a shoulder pet: We all have lost a tame and spent time looking for them. These can be set to help you find tames almost like a tracker for tribe, owned creatures. I am even thinking with the idea of this working as a mating pair effect. You have to have one following the tame that you’re missing and the other one has to be the opposite sex and would use the call to look for that creature. It can even be a shoulder pet that can sit on your tames shoulder while the mate sits on your shoulder. Or you can use the flute/ocarina to communicate from a distance. The Ōō follows your tame and you use the instrument to call to it.
As a rideable tame:  As a large rideable tame they could be used to induce a deafening siren wail. This will disorient enemies, and enemy tames for a few seconds, they can either make it hard to move, or give an affect similar to drinking beer. This can also be used to knock flying and gliding tames out of the sky. They instantly drop and breath attacks like wyverns and manas would be disabled from the ensuing shriek. Playing the new item from on their back maybe can amplify the sound based attacks range.
Both: Once tamed they can serve several reconnaissance purposes. Using their song they are able to sense the heartbeats of creatures, from vast distances. On PVE they can be used as not only a way to see creatures around you but also as transponders. On PVP they can be set to fly over enemy bases and ping how many enemies and tames are out in the open or hiding in buildings. Allowing raids to be more tactical or to help defend bases when you suspect somebody is lurking outside. Because it works off of heartbeats It is only limited to creatures that actually have beating hearts. Meks and striders would not be affected. Also, it would only have a certain depth into the water that it would be able to see.

05C5EC5B-A8A6-4E38-8914-737E38521142.jpeg

9 replies to this server topic

44 minutes ago, Scanova said:

God dangit you didn't have to play with my emotions like this. Honestly, regardless of whether this submission goes far or not, I find it very sweet and touching. Kudos.

Sorry man I just really wanted to stand out and have people to understand how cool it would be to see and hear this