The Giant Flying fish! Thoracopterus- New Fastest water/gliding mount

3 hours ago, saoub said:

You should ad a tek saddle that makes it able to swim in the ground and to change the bleeding effect of the wings with torpor, and different others effect by constantly applying them on the wings with the help of the tek saddle (the narcotics, bio toxins and others things must be present in the saddle to apply the effect).

''Swim in the ground'' means at the surface and to not be a land creature more than an aquatic one it only can bounce the medium sized creature (parasaurs, iguanodons) away by swimming really fast at them, but has the effect to stop the flying fish (like a car crashes but one car got sending in the air).

Tek saddle is something i've thought about, I do like the torpor idea! ill have a mess around with some tek concepts see if i can design anything cool visually and practical!

On 8/4/2023 at 6:52 PM, CharliSpirit said:

--Name Update--
I've been made aware that the Thoracopteridae is actually the name of the family and not a genus itself so a more proper name for it would be the Thoracopterus! 
hope this change doesn't confuse many people, Thank you Beelzebufo522 for the correction^

painted_fish_with_diver.png
Something Ark has needed for a long time is some new creatures to make the ocean more diverse and exciting so i'm here to present the Thoracopterus, Known Commonly as the Flying Fish it is the new fastest Swimmer/Gliding Tame. Able to use its powerful tail to launch out of the water and glide long distances, even challenging the maewing with its gliding/swimming capabilities!!
Fish_with_person.png

---Abilities---
Launch and Glide:
Gain speed to launch out of the water, the more speed you have the higher into the air you will go. Similar to a maewing you will then hold a button to glide and control the angle and speed at which you fly at. To descend there's a couple of options: a speedy dive that when done into deep water it will be a quick way to reach the ocean's depths or a parachute-like ability for a more slow and controlled descent. Or simply glide until you reach the water again.

Leap.png

Speed boost/Charge attack:
Whilst in water it is able to do a charged up attack which will propel itself forward at great speeds, you can use this a simple speed boost to move faster whilst in water or if you hit an enemy its wings will slice whatever it goes through dealing bleed damage to the target.

Zoom.png

Spin attack:
If ever cornered it can do a spin attack with its fins that deals knockback and a slight bleed. Just enough to give it the time to zoom away from danger.

Invisibility!:
Its iridescent scales are great at reflecting the ocean around them, so whilst in water they are able to turn themselves and their rider ‘invisible’ similar to how a Desmodus can vanish into the night. Making it easier to avoid those annoying Stuns and scary alphas! This of course drains stamina quicker just like any over camo/invis abilities.

invis_sketch.png
On Land:
What happens if you land it on land? No threat, tho it is a fish if you do happen to get it stuck on land you do have time to get it back into the water with either using cryo pod or its slither/flopping movement similar to ARK Additions Xiphactinus to shuffle its way back into the water (this idea could be expanded upon 1 idea being it lasts longer on land if you keep water in its inventory to prevent it from drying up, this meter will be shown its Oxygen bar. However I feel it's also important to keep this as a water mount so for nothing to drastic that it becomes an all terrain creature)

Boats arn't safe:

They are very skittish creatures, rarely allowing you to get close before speeding off and are especially afraid of boats! If you do manage to get too close to one with a raft or canoe they may feel threatened enough to damage the vessel before speeding off making them a new threat to those that wish to travel the seas without getting their feet wet.

another way they may damage boats if they mistake them for pieces of drift wood or debris of which a mate pair may want to lay its eggs on, to do so they might want to cut the vessel up into smaller less noticeable pieces.

---Unsure of abilities---

Mate pair or pack boost options:
pack boost was an idea had very early on as these creatures are found in groups, however I don't think it would work well with the bleeding ambush creature it could be.  Mate pair tho could see additional abilities being added maybe a aoe heal ability or something else!

Climbing waterfalls:
These creatures have been spotted using their strong back fin to launch themselves up waterfalls to make it to migrate to other oceans, it's almost like it's defying the laws of gravity.
(this idea is a big stretch as I'm unsure if it would even be possible, but I feel like it would be a helpful idea based on the different water levels on the map) 

Double Jump:
To keep in the air almost like a bird it is able to do a strong flap of its fins to launch it up higher, this is helpful if you ever feel like you are getting too close to land and just need that extra boost to get back into the water. This second jump would only be around half the height of its max jump.

glide_vs_swim.png
---Taming,Breeding,Anatomy---
Taming method: 
Taming I originally thought would be similar to an Astrodelphis but in the end a Sino would probably be a better comparison, they will spawn in groups and as long as you have their favourite food ammonite bile in your inventory (if you want it to be extra tough could have it so you must apply the ammonite bile making over creatures nearby aggressive) they will come up to you to be fed, swimming around you and sometimes running away having to chase after them. As long as you don't hurt them or don't scare them with any big tames 

Breeding:
In the wild they would leave their eggs onto seaweed and floating debris near the water's surface.Once tamed however they will be able to breed near the surface of the water as long as there's a structure nearby to attach its eggs to.

Anatomy:
They have razor sharp barbs on the front edge of its 1st pair of fins, these barbs can cause severe bleeding when used at high speeds and mainly used in the wild as a last resort to escape or when hunting for food. They are sharp enough to cut through thick shells and skin of some of the largest creatures in the depths.
The fin at the end of their tail is a lot thicker and stronger than the rest of the fins that it uses to glide with. This tail fin is the entire reason it is able to propel itself into the air, climb waterfall and cause knockback and charged attacks

Size: slightly smaller than a megalodon there wings make them seem a lot bigger

Dossier.png

---Idea for a Tek Saddle---

-I could imagine the Tek saddle covering the Thoras fins like the Tek Tapagara saddle, the tek blades on the fins would then have deferent settings to deal over effects over than just its normal bleed (Green mode=torpor, Purple mode=Electric stun, Red mode=enhanced Bleed for some ideas) 
-The strong armour around the head could make it so it can charge mineable materials and collect them.
-The saddle could possible improve its gliding ability adding a thruster  to just boost itself higher into the air if needed.
(but it would not be strong enough to keep the Thora in the air forever just longer than normally would without)
This thruster could also be used in water for faster acceleration

tek_saddle.png
---Additional info---
-Can’t be picked by a Tuso as it is speedy enough to evade its tentacles
-Slight overall weight reduction to make those water resource trip
s that much easier

WILD
Swimming near the surface of deep oceans they are found swimming in schools using their numbers and ability to leaping out of the water to escape larger predators.
They are very skittish creatures, rarely allowing you to get close before speeding off and are especially afraid of boats! If you do manage to get too close to one with a raft or canoe they may feel threatened enough to use their ‘spin attack’ to dmg/push away the vessel before speeding off making them a new threat to those that wish to travel the seas without getting their feet wet.
ONCE TAMED:

Once Tamed they can become your fastest way of travel, being able to manoeuvre quickly around obstacles in the ocean and skip over pieces of land with its glide. Also a great way to bleed and dodge any attacks whilst in the water with its charges it could be the best way to deal with larger predators if you wish to engage in a fight. They are able to be saddled carrying up to 1 player, when not sprinting can hold a weapon such as harpoon or crossbow. Due to hunting Ammonite and being exposed to its bile for such a long time they have evolved to be immune to the aggressive effects of it, they will also protect the rider also making them immune to its effects.

800px-Thoracopterus_magnificus_334.JPG
flying_fish_irl.png
This is my 1st time submitting a creature! All art is done by myself and I really hope you like the Thoracopterus!
vote_for_fishy.png

es como la manta pero mejorada al 100% me gusta