hot air balloon ✈ Sinopterus mavericki... 3 AIRCRAFTS IN ONE !

ladyteruki

Suggestion

Keep your Wyverns, your Griffins and your Owls, we don't need them :
with the
Sinopterus, we're finally giving The Center the flyer it deserves !

SINOPTERUS-Cover-Art.png
Paleoart : American Museum of Natural History, NY
Additional "art" : yours truly

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO FLY ?

The Center is currently the map most in need of a remaster : it's showing its age, it has no unique creature at all... and it has also none of the most advanced flyers in the game. Give The Center some love !

With the Sinopterus, get yourself a creature designed for flight... in various forms. This bird can be used as a fighter jet, a hot air balloon... or, while young, even as a helicopter !
Combine different flight modes, saddles, and attacks, for optimal flexibility in the skies of Ark's oldest free DLC map. Finally.

Look below for a breakdown of its abilities !

SINOPTERUS DOSSIER

Species :
Sinopterus mavericki
Time : Cretaceous
Diet : Omnivore
Temperament : Territorial

Biome of choice : The Center's center (floating island)
Drops : Prime meat, Meat, Hide
Harvests : Anything harvestable : trees, rocks, bushes, resource nodes, corpses... even packages
Rideable : Oh, yes !
Taming method : Passive
Diet : Omnivore
Reproduction : Egg layer
Strong stats : Stamina, Melee
Weak stats : Health, Weight

WILD
The heart of the Ark beats to the rhythm of the Sinopterus’ wings. What a majestic sight to see it gravitate around the floating core of this place !
For hours I watched it make elegant figures in the sky. Which was safe... as long as I stayed out of its way.

DOMESTICATED
Few tribespeople have successfully harnessed the power of the Sinopterus. It takes a lot of practice to get it to obey orders, when all it wants is to fly faster than the wind...
It is rewarding, however, to see a pilot direct it to do loops in the air. The best of them can even fly upside down !
One man proudly explained that he can even get his Sinopterus to remain stationary in this position, making it oddly convenient to hunt.
A few villages over, people were less interested in speed or elaborate maneuvers.
They had fitted the Sinopterus with some kind of large basket, which allowed them to transport several passengers or resources rather quickly.
Of course, a Sinopterus carrying a lot of cargo will never be as fast, and a barrel would be dangerous for those inside the basket, but what an inventive use !

Notes on behavior
The Sinopterus fancies itself as aerial royalty ; this means it's not aggressive towards land creatures, but anything flying even remotely in its range will be on the receiving end of savage violence.
Otherwise it's fairly chill, and spends its time doing loops in the air. It also regularly shows interest in humans, in particular for all things metal.

Abilities/keys
LEFT CLICK - Peck
RIGHT CLICK - Resource scoop
C - Hyper speed mode
X - Upside down mode

SINOPTERUS-Official-dossier-FINAL.png

In its current state, the center of The Center is frustrating : you go through all that trouble to reach the floating island... and there is nothing special to see or do there.
Adding the Sinopterus to this area would provide additional appeal to the floating island, and reward exploration.

SINOPTERUS-Abilities-Spawn-Map.png

The Sinopterus is high maintenance, and will only go home with rich survivors ! Metal ingots are its favorite, but metal structures, ammunition or flak armor could also work.
That said, bringing shiny gifts to this bird is actually the least of your problems...

SINOPTERUS-Abilities-Taming.png

...Grappling it will NOT work, as the Sinopterus is not grapple-able at all. A lasso, and nothing else ! And yes, this might require an Equus tame first.
DON'T leave a tamed Sinopterus unattended while set to neutral : anyone dropping metal nearby could easily lure it away from where you parked it.

TWO ADDITIONAL FLIGHT MODES !

By default, the Sinopterus flies at a rather efficient speed. But you might want to look into its two other flight modes, each coming with different advantages.

SINOPTERUS-Abilities-Flight-Modes.png

As the Sinopterus is designed to complement existing flyers like the Argentavis or the Quetz, its saddles (plural !) unlock at the equivalent levels :

SINOPTERUS-Abilities-Saddles.png

You can still use the hyper speed mode with the basket saddle... but be careful, this is more dangerous for your passengers if you hit obstacles on the way !

With its rather weak health, the Sinopterus might not resist damage very well, but in hyper speed mode, a well-bred specimen might just fly through a turret wall faster than bullets !
All your tribe has to do is to pucker up in the basket, while you fly at the speed of light into your enemies' base... Pteranodon who ?

Tip : if you go in and out of upside down mode fast enough, you can do barrels in the sky... which makes it even harder for the pilot of the Sinopterus to be aimed at.

ATTACKS & ABILITIES

SINOPTERUS-Abilities-Peck.png

Built for speed and movement, the Sinopterus also displays some light gathering and/or carrying abilities, useful for PvP or PvE.

SINOPTERUS-Abilities-Resource-Scoop.png

SINOPTERUS-Abilities-Weight-Reduction.pn

Lastly, the Sinopterus has a hidden ability, available only when it's young. It can't fly yet, but it sure is learning to !

SINOPTERUS-Abilities-Wing-Flap.png

With the wing flap, the Sinopterus can go upwards, and can also be stationary for a short time (it doesn't have the stamina of an adult !).
The young Sinopterus' ability is not meant to replace or compete with the Sinomacrops. The idea is only to provide an additional flight mode, that doubles as a breeding incentive.

SINOPTERUS-Cover-Art-ISLAND.png

Why you should vote for the Sinopterus
- Childhood-exclusive ability : the wing flap
- The Sinopterus is a tame that complements having an Argy and/or Quetz : it can't do what they do, and has its own perks
- Fly upside down and tranq dinos while in stationary flight
- Ride the Sinopterus' basket like a hot air balloon or bring passengers with you, who can shoot while you fly...
- Built-in farming ability : gather in one fell swoop small amounts of almost any resources
- Pick up dropped packages without getting off its saddle
- Travel to your FOB at hyper speed while carrying almost infinite amounts of ammo !

PS : having two different ideas for The Center, a map I like very much but in dire need of a TLC, I decided to submit two creatures this time.
I thought it'd be fun to be in a competition with myself, see what people respond to. Please also check out the Aquilarhinus 😊

Edited by ladyteruki
  • Like 1

14 replies to this server topic

Just now, roy3100 said:

This a great submission! As someone who also submitted some flyers for this vote, I'm glad a lot of people showed up with some aerial creativity of their own! Good luck with the vote, I could definitely see this feeling very at home on the map.

Thanks for the compliment ! I checked your profile and you submitted the Haast Eagle \o/ A cool submission also.
There is clearly a need for a strong, unique flyer on this map. I don't wish for The Center to get a new Wyvern nest added or anything, so I looked for its own niche. Good luck to you too !

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scribelordd said:

Would love to see another flyer to the game, pretty good and I like how it uses all the different types of flying 

I did the math that we won't have THAT MANY new creatures to vote on. And not all creatures will be flyers.
So if we're to add a new flyer, make it count, you know ? :)