Base Carno Health Q

DaddyMike72

I think I have lost a little more of my sanity.  Spurred on by acquiring a really nice asc. carno saddle bp, I am starting a new mutation line for my carnos.  The thought is to mix 3-4 into my boss fighting team for the bleed damage, but I want to minimize the glass cannon effect.  Health mutations are usually my primary focus as I figure the fewer points pumped into health, the more I get to pump into melee.  My current stock of carnos have a base health of 3360.  I hate getting deep into mutation lines only to find better stats from a wild tame.  So I am curious what a good health from a carno is using standard server levels  (150 max wild dino).  Could I find one that has 4k+?  5k+?  Rarity is a consideration too.  Kind of like I KNOW I've tamed a rex with 408 Melee, but over the past year, I have yet to find another one with this from the wild.

Thanks.

P.S.  And yes, I know there are calculators like Dododex, but those show what is 'possible' and not what is 'likely'.

Hi, you mentioned Dododex and it can be a good tool to get the idea of how you can find the savages in their average stats by distributing the points in the calculator. However you can find better than 3k health... other than that just know that: BLEEDING HAS NO EFFECT ON BOSSES, ONLY EXCEPTION IS FOR DEINONICO

4 hours ago, DaddyMike72 said:

I think I have lost a little more of my sanity.  Spurred on by acquiring a really nice asc. carno saddle bp, I am starting a new mutation line for my carnos.  The thought is to mix 3-4 into my boss fighting team for the bleed damage, but I want to minimize the glass cannon effect.  Health mutations are usually my primary focus as I figure the fewer points pumped into health, the more I get to pump into melee.  My current stock of carnos have a base health of 3360.  I hate getting deep into mutation lines only to find better stats from a wild tame.  So I am curious what a good health from a carno is using standard server levels  (150 max wild dino).  Could I find one that has 4k+?  5k+?  Rarity is a consideration too.  Kind of like I KNOW I've tamed a rex with 408 Melee, but over the past year, I have yet to find another one with this from the wild.

Thanks.

P.S.  And yes, I know there are calculators like Dododex, but those show what is 'possible' and not what is 'likely'.

Cervantes already addressed the bleed issue, so I'll just talk about stats & Dododex for a minute, and why it should matter to you.

* The reason for becoming familiar with Dododes or ARK Smart breeding is to help yourself learn "what is likely".

There are so many species that it's hard to keep track of what a good number for HP, or Melee, or whatever. Personally, I have no idea how many HP I want for Rex's, Theri's, Yuty's or Daedons for boss fights, I don't have any interest in trying to learn & memorize that information for so many species, but what I do know now is many Levels of Health I want to have in my breeding pool, and this is where Dododex (or ARK Smart Breeding) makes you life better.

Creatures have levels, just like players do, so it will help you if you use something like Dododex to see how many levels it takes to give you the HP you want. For example, if you put 30 Levels in to Health for your player, you will have 400 HP, because you get 100 HP + 10 HP per level. If you look at the "Stat Calculator" button on Dododex for Carno's, you will see that a Carno with 30 Levels of Health will have 2,940 HP [420 Base HP + (30 Levels * 84 HP)]

With your current stock of carnos having HP 3,360 that means they have 35 Levels in the Health stat [420 HP Base stat + (35 Lvls * 84 HP)]. What this tells us is that your carno breeding stock is good, but not great. If this was a primary fighting animal (like a Rex or a Theri) it would be a pretty decent number ( Rex with 35 Lvls of Health = 8.800 HP, Theri with 35 Lvls of Health = 6,960 HP), but for a glass cannon like the Carno it's probably not going to be enough.

For most species, for most boss fights, we begin our breeding program when we have 35+ levels in any stat that matters to us. For example, we don't care about Stamina unless it's a species that we're going to ride during the fight, likewise we don't care about Melee if it's not going to be a fighting animal, you get the idea. When you look at the difference between the HP for a Carno and a Rex or Theri, my personal choice would be to keep taming Carno's until I get at least 40 levels in Health, or maybe even more if I'm feeling ambitious.

Obviously it takes a certain amount of luck and/or persistence to keep taming creatures until you get higher stats, after all you're less likely to complete a tame with 40 levels in Health than to tame one with 35 levels in Health, it's going to take some work. But when you compare the amount of time you spend finding and taming creatures until you get the stats you want against the amount of time you spend breeding for mutations, I can pretty much guarantee you that it's worth taking the extra time to keep taming until you get 40+ levels in HP, and then begin your breeding program.

I kinda/sorta do that with the S+ Transmitter.  I check the levels into stats like Health and Melee and if I see one that is near 30 points pre-tame, I go get it.  And quickly learned that this does not guarantee a good tame, it just hedges the bets a little.  You can tame a dino with 29 points in health to have it only put another 4 levels once the tame takes place.

But regardless, if carno bleed doesn't affect bosses, then I won't bother.  I have megalosaurs and allos that have better health and better damage and I already have mutation lines going for them.  My rexes are at 20 health mutations and 10 melee and so I'm done with that line for now (until I find a better melee base stat) and my theris are up to 10 health and melee mutations.  And yeah, I know I could just have a team of 10 rexes and 9 theris... or all one or the other and one Yuti, but I like to play around with my groups to see what's viable.

5 hours ago, DaddyMike72 said:

My current stock of carnos have a base health of 3360. 

As a lover of Carnotaurs, I wanted to add some suggestions but I see that Pipinghot has already explained the fundamental concept in a clear and simple way. Adding only that we are talking about Stats Point Post Tame, I would like to give you some references:

Stats Pt:   30    -   35    -   40   -   42

Health:   2.94k - 3.36k - 3.78k - 3.95k

Stamina:  1.2k  -  1.35k - 1.5k

Weight:    480. -  504  -  540

Damage:  250  -  275  -  300  -  310

If you are not interested in researching Top stats then 3360 Health are not bad, if instead you want a good breeding pair then my advice is to get as close as possible to:

H-4k (demandin to found)

S-1.4k

W-450/500

D-300

[my original breeding pair Mut 0-0 with all four stats combined had these StatPts: H-44 S-41 W-36 D-42 and I confess I haven't been there too long to find them, but maybe because I always liked them even at the beginning of the game and therefore I suspended any activity when any lv 130/150 presented itself to me, I preferred only Tyla to them ❤️ but... a bit demanding at the beginning of the game :D ...upssss...sorry I'm digressing...]

PS: if you are interested in my experience with them, I found myself comfortable with two types of specialization (distribution of Exp Points):

1* Points only on Health [a Carno with 100% Imprinting that exceeds 10k Health and already having a basic good speed and agility is a great trusty buddy even against big dudes]

2* Health 5k/6k and the rest of the pts only in speed [Stamina for me is not a big deal when you can get away at bullet speed and recover it at a distance while the enemy is bleeding ;)].

I only gave Points in Damage in some pack Carno in specific cases, when more effective damage is needed the Carno is not the right animal to deploy [in this (but also for their Stats and qualities) the ones I prefer to bet already at the beginning of the game they are: Megaterium and Direbear (which I also use a lot in the mid-game), even if I must admit that Gigantopitecus is an excellent choice, as well as a pack of Wolves]

PPS: .....sorry....I digressed but I love these little gems enough that I couldn't resist spending a few words on them :D:D:D

I like digression and conversation, so all cool.

I like to start taming Carnos the moment I get tranq arrows.  Even before I get their saddle, I will usually have a set of 7 (named for the deadly sins) following me to sic on non-rex alphas.  But I have never progressed a mutation line more than 5 mutes per health/stam/wt/melee in carnos because when I hit Thyla I just don't use them anymore and after I get crossbows I start investing my time into building my rex breeders' stats.

I also like to mix up my dino sizes for boss fights.  Positioning a bunch of rexes or theris so they encompass a boss can be a little bit of a pain sometimes as they tend to get hung up on each other, but when there are smaller dinos in the mix, the big ones don't have to fight as much for real estate and the smaller ones stand inside their range.  which sucks for the dragon, but for the broodmother and ape it's fine.  So I was hoping the carnos would fit the bill for a small dino to slip in and do some bleed damage.  But now I know the bleed doesn't work, so... meh.  The megalosaurs are about the same size, have more health than (my) allos and just go nuts... at night.

• Like 1