Miracinonyx (American Cheetah), The Speed Demon - Redesigned for Aberration

Shockal

Suggestion

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have removed the Miracinonyx from the Aberration creature votes. Why? Well, mainly because I am also the creator of the Ornimegalonyx (the Giant Flightless Owl). Both the owl and the cheetah were in top ten, and I couldn't help but to feel it was unfair that both my submissions were taking the top spots.

This does not mean the cheetah is gone forever. It will return for The Center and Valguero votes.

image.png

Mira_ab.png

The Miracinonyx returns from the Ragnarok Creature Votes! This fast feline was originally created to traverse the varied terrain of Ragnarok's rugged landscape, but the cavernous depths of Aberration could also see fit for it.

At a design standpoint, The Miracinonyx dares to be the fastest sprinter in the whole game - even surpassing the Managarmr. If you enjoy spawning creatures on singleplayer and maximizing their movement speed just for the fun of racing around, then the Miracinonyx is a mount that will capture every essence of that thrill and dial it up to an unimaginable velocity, all while retaining viability in PvP thanks to its potent area denial abilities.

Autonomous obstacle-dodging and speedy climbing make it fit to thrive in Aberration's crowded caverns, while its ability to instantly deploy traps and hazards off its back make it a powerful threat in either a chase or a battle. Additionally, a few of its previous abilities have been reworked to be more in-line with Aberration.

The Rock Drake may be Aberration's prime mount for airborne travel, but the Miracinonyx is sure to be the prime mount for grounded travel.

New Artwork:

Cheetahab.png

Old Artworks:

Miracinonyx.png

image.png

image.png

Diet: Carnivore

Temperament: Aggressive

Rideable: Yes (saddle optional)

What does it excel at?

SPEED.

Behold, the fastest creature the Ice Age has ever seen. The Miracinonyx is a lightly-built predator that can gather meat and hide in a pinch - but that's not its selling point. What makes this creature truly special is its fantastic stamina, impeccable turning radius, and PHENOMENAL agility. It can easily race amongst the fastest DLC creatures.

But such speed comes with a concern: how can you even control where you are going without bumping into objects?

image.png

When mounted, a toggleable mobility mode allows the Miracinonyx to autonomously swerve around obstacles, such as rocks, deep water, trees, and even other creatures! Think of it like a more complex version of the TEK Skiff's Autonomous Hover mode (yes, there are examples of simple smart pathing that already exist in the game - and ASA may improve it even further). This would allow survivors to move at ridiculous speeds through the densest forest floors without the inconvenience of getting snagged on a tree trunk or rock. The Miracinonyx will do the dodging for you, so your focus is free to do other things, like checking your GPS or map.

It also has a pretty sizeable jump!

image.png

However, for as long as the toggle is on, the Miracinonyx won't be able to climb. You'll need to toggle it off to do that.

Climbing with the Miracinonyx isn't identical to the Rock Drake. In order for the Miracinonyx to climb upwards, it first needs to build up a good amount of acceleration. Back up a bit to prep some speed, then zoom forwards and rush up the cliff face before your lose your momentum to gravity!

image.png.94cbe570abacd2644d363cf78b744b4c.png

(Fun Fact: During the Ragnarok votes, this climbing ability was pretty much identical to that of the Rock Drake's. But since this is a map where the Rock Drake lives, I figured I needed to change it)

You'll also be able to climb up and down vines/ziplines as an option.

image.png

Undoubtedly, this is a mount designed for travel. But it also has a combative side (apart from its bites, that is). When equipped with a canister-loaded saddle, the Miracinonyx is capable of spewing a trail of irradiating gas wherever it runs, coating the battlefield into a noxious hazard. Deny swaths of area from your opponent! Congealed gas balls are used to fuel this gaseous trail.

image.png.1e1ee4a3759ec7e523c560c832571402.png

For a more solid approach at area denial, try the TEK Saddle, which will leave behind a trail of physical barriers as you run forwards, as well as allow the Miracinonyx to sprint across the surface of water!

image.png

Additionally, any deployable traps or weapons that the survivor may have in their inventory can be thrown on the run, Mario Kart-style. Explosives such as grenades, plant species Z fruit, etc. can be tossed in front or behind you as you run, while traps such as bear traps, plant Y species, etc. are instantly ready the moment they hit the ground.

Zip by your foes and toss a  ̶b̶a̶n̶a̶n̶a̶ ̶p̶e̶e̶l̶  bear trap right under their feet!

image.png.feede9009fd1ee195f84569f91ea7537.png

... But if you're ever in the mood for a more direct approach of damage, there's nothing stopping you from using guns while mounted on the Miracinonyx! You've got to be one impressive sniper if you can pick off a target while moving at such high speed.

image.png.c3620339d37915a501d652bf4c628df3.png

And lastly - cuddle buffs! (This was a pretty humorous suggestion from the previous voting round that I just absolutely had to add in) Give some nice pats to your Miracinonyx and gain a temporary boost to insulation. 

image.png

What is it weak to?:

- Turrets. Their lock-on accuracy will whittle down the Miracinonyx's frail health pool in a flash. Be careful around enemy bases with it.

- Traps set by enemies. Despite being a trap setter itself, the Miracinonyx's smart pathing won't detect traps, so it might run directly into one.

- Somewhat low weight. It's not terrible, but don't expect it to carry around your stacks of stone.

- Inadequate bite damage. It is not designed for DPS.

How do you tame it?:

The Miracinonyx is not tamed by conventional methods. Baby Miracinonyx are often found hiding in bushes or tight corners in the wild, shy of everything that wanders by. Survivors must approach carefully, and repeatedly feed it meat to gain its trust. But beware, for if it were to be startled, its nearby parents will immediately attack anything responsible for startling it. If you do manage tame it, the baby will be imprinted to you, and must be raised from there on.

MiracinonyxTame.png.0587f91b93b9ef7321a863e324fe484d.png

But alas, even when in the safety of human care, the baby Miracinonyx remains an incredibly nervous creature. You won't be able to complete the imprinting process by yourself. In order to give your Miracinonyx the full enrichment it deserves, pair it with a "companion dog" (Like a Direwolf, Ravager, or other similarly-sized creature). Much like how real cheetahs are raised in captivity, this companion will help you get the full imprint potential out of your baby.

image.png.03b3b6e67c0d742c784d7b1f2420e802.png

Open to suggestions! Feel free to comment your own ideas.
And of course, thank you for reading. I originally had no plans to resubmit the Miracinonyx past the Ragnarok votes, and instead began working on another creature in preparation for Aberration (the Ornimegalonyx). But after seeing the Miracinonyx arrive at 2nd place (just inching behind the Gigantoraptor) I decided to put effort into making new artwork for it. For those who had supported the Miracinonyx beforehand, thank you. Perhaps if it happened to reach 2nd place again, Wildcard may be grateful enough to add it in like they had done with the Carchadontosaurus' instance.

Finish.gif.1776659f8c7aeb58fdfd7c08b0fbd740.gif

Edited by Shockal
  • Like 1

117 replies to this server topic

2 hours ago, Wolfstalker25 said:

Well that sucks I never really use the forms every besides for the creature votes. How do you get out of the early bird rank?

I guess the rules changed, early birds use to be able to vote, must have been to prevent vote rigging with multiple accounts. I think I got out early bird just by commenting a few times.

Holy heck the new aberrant design looks absolutely sick!  Definitely gonna be making more propaganda for this guy if I've got time before the submission period ends-- of course this all happens when I'm not gonna have the chance for digital art for a few days noooooo 🥲

I'm amazed at how well the updated mira fits Aberration though!  The climbing ability ties in so well, and it makes perfect sense because aberration is both home to other climbers (rock drake), but also doesn't have thylas, which imo would run the biggest risk of competing in that niche.  It's also not competing against flyers, and its movement is even more unique when compared to the other creatures of aberration-- heck, the climb ability might even make it a very viable rock drake egg thief, if you can dodge the angry drakes and get enough momentum to escape.  Top tier fit for the map imo, though I may be a bit biased 🤣

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Quammen said:

I Feel the same. It kinda falls in the same category of overly mutated travel mounts.

4 hours ago, Sufli said:

Love it, but not for Aberration.  Definitely not

Well, why not? He redesigned it to fit the Aberration map. Think what would you do, if, this came to Rag or some other “fitting” map, and someone made an Aberrant variant with these abilities in a mod (which are cross platform). Would you not like it then? Think of this as reverse, aberrant —> normal instead of normal —> aberrant

I like the idea of taming it from a baby as well. Another creature to help imprint, does that just include medium sized creatures? And since its on aberration would it exclusively be the ravager? Or could like an equus or raptor work? Just curious. I have been voting for this creature when I see it lol. Love the idea! We need more cats! 

Edited by KetaBladedancer