ARK unreal 5.0 + Ark 2... still going to be ruined by hackers?

Kreetallok

I've been playing for about 3 years now and honestly the one thing that makes me want to stop playing constantly is all the hackers who completely ruin everything.  Does WC have a plan on how they plan to deal effectively with the hacking epidemic?  TBH I'll wait 6 months and if I remember check in to see if there is still the same hacking issue (if I remember and haven't moved on to something else) before I purchase again.  It would take a bare minimum of effort to stem 90% of the worse hacking abusers.  Give a few of the most active players a priority flag to have a CSM pop in to witness the offense and then ban/dev-wipe the tribe using hacks.  They will move somewhere else.  The only reason they are so bold and so prevalent is because they are given free rein to do what they want save a once every 2-3 month update/wipe, they buy new accounts for $1 and then they are right back at it.

There are 4 months until the current servers go away.  Show us now that this won't ruin the next game.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Diabolos said:

To put it simply, the current anti-cheat that Ark uses is battle-eye. It's decent, but not the best. It does detection and from there bans go out. It's a delicate balance, as real security would have everything server based requiring client authentication for everything, but that's not realistic. With core changes to the game code, they can make changes to what is server authenticated, thus improving the security of the game. They can also implement other anti-cheat methods, such as obfuscating their memory making memory address based cheats non-viable (which would take out like 99% of the hackers), while eating up more CPU/GPU usage.

All that being said, I know in Atlas(Made by a subsidiary of Snail Games. WC is a subsidiary of Snail Games as well) there was a tribe that had developers in it, and they themselves used cheats. Truth is, devs play too. If they want cheats in the game, there will be cheats in the game. You also need to realize, in order to detect cheaters, you need the tools to do so. These tools are vulnerabilities. So on and so forth.

Security is never an easy topic. Look at Diablo 2. The game had a black market where real money could be paid for in game items. Due to that, people were offering coders bounties of 10k USD+ For dupe methods that would last less than a week as they could make that much money off it. Due to that, regardless of how much work Blizzard put into anti-cheat (making systems like Warden), the hackers and botters were too much to handle.

Play your games like you live your life. Focus on what's in front of you. WC obviously doesn't want all PVPers abusing cheats, yet at the same time, hacks and bans are part of the competitive scene. If you don't want to lose your dinos/base or have to rebuild every so often, then try making a PVE char. You can have your emotional attachments there, while PVP you can focus on what it's all about, which is gettin the other guy before or better than he gets you.

Not to mention when a gaming company institutes anti-cheat software like Ricochet, nProtect GG, Battle-Eye, Warden etc. all the (ignorant) nerds come out of the woodwork crying about "malware!", "I shouldn't have to add 3rd party bla bla bla to my machine". 

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Edited by Joebl0w13

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, Diabolos said:

If only that were the case. Unfortunately with advancements come complexity, and with additional complexity comes additional vulnerability.

Edited: Don't need to be spouting my ideas on the forums. That one has too much profit potential to leave in the open.

The developers here are no strangers to the blockchain. Thank god they aren't messing with it.

• 1 month later...