Running out of stamina underwater shouldn't be like that

DonaldDuck

Suggestion

The game mechanic for running out of oxygen underwter is fine, but when stamina is running out, it is so annoying.

I suggest our character should regen stamina when nothing is pressed underwater. Oxygen should be the only 'currency' for doing anything underwater, NOT STAMINA.

Noone dies out of stamina staticly underwater. Even if I'm too tired, I can still regain my strength by floating in the water doing nothing as long as I'm not out of breath/oxygen. Oxygen should be the only cost for underwater activity. Maybe unless in too deep, the game has game mechanic for that for breeding dino that needs depth, so the current game mechanic for running out of stamina should only happen in the depth, while in normal depth, oxygen should be the only one that matters and should regen stamina when doing nothing.

3 replies to this server topic

I could definitely see a float to the top and let u build up stam slowly or something at least.  I think they maybe expect its less of an issue when we level up over 150 and have loads of points to beef up stats enough that it won't matter as often.  That and once you get to tek gear, you can use the chest piece to speed around under water, and super speed run w/ the pants on the water like the Flash.   Once you have access to those tools, stamina won't matter much.

A button to float on your back on top of the water would be neat.  That would be a nice way to rest in the water.

8 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

I'm pretty sure if you went swimming, in real life , and you ran out of energy far away from shore  - you would be at risk of drowning. 

But you are correct in noticing how difficult water is in this game, it is the end game content - and sadly it is horribly under-developed to a point that some of us call criminal.

Ways to work with running out of stamina, mounting a tame underwater can recharge your personal stamina.  If your mount is a stamina problem, dismounting and remounting after a few moments is a solution for that.

Yes, but outside of accident, when ppl are in the water and tired, most if not all of the time they still have the energy to swim back up. Even floating still inside water can regain stamina.

It's just annoying having to watch 2 stats for being in the water at all time, oxygen and stam when at base just doing stuffs,  esp when building something it's easy to get distracted and forgetting stamina bar, it's deep but not too deep maybe 12 walls high so I hardly use any mount because mount is too fast for what I need to do and cannot strafe.

That's why I suggest the current mechanic to be used when in real depth and just use oxygen when not too deep and regen stamina when on surface. Most of the time I forget about this second stat I have to watch beside oxygen, esp when I have scuba tank and diplocaulus near me for refilling oxygen but still forgetting stam.

A game only allows us to do things we can do with game mechanics it has, yea the game has tames for that but wouldn't hurt with having more game mechanics for better experience. 

Also we are not the character in the game, we cannot feel what our character feel, we only have hud with icons etc to remind our limit, but I don't know if it's just me, I ALWAYS forget stamina but NOT oxygen when inside water that's why i made this suggestion. I just can't and always forget, died so many times and feel helpless when stam runs out esp when using scuba tank, it takes a while to die. Feel so annoying can breath like a boss in the water but cannot move bcs of 0 stam.

But outside of this I love the underwater experience in Ark. My base has to be near water so I can dive in and scare myself. 🙃

13 hours ago, DonaldDuck said:

The game mechanic for running out of oxygen underwter is fine, but when stamina is running out, it is so annoying.

I suggest our character should regen stamina when nothing is pressed underwater. Oxygen should be the only 'currency' for doing anything underwater, NOT STAMINA.

Noone dies out of stamina staticly underwater. Even if I'm too tired, I can still regain my strength by floating in the water doing nothing as long as I'm not out of breath/oxygen. Oxygen should be the only cost for underwater activity. Maybe unless in too deep, the game has game mechanic for that for breeding dino that needs depth, so the current game mechanic for running out of stamina should only happen in the depth, while in normal depth, oxygen should be the only one that matters and should regen stamina when doing nothing.

I'm pretty sure if you went swimming, in real life , and you ran out of energy far away from shore  - you would be at risk of drowning. 

But you are correct in noticing how difficult water is in this game, it is the end game content - and sadly it is horribly under-developed to a point that some of us call criminal.

Ways to work with running out of stamina, mounting a tame underwater can recharge your personal stamina.  If your mount is a stamina problem, dismounting and remounting after a few moments is a solution for that.

Archived