Broken game

showlatee

While Ralph summed it up in one line I'm going to go a little further.

There seems to be this idea amongst some that the only "skill" in this game is gunplay and if you're not treating it as CS:GO then you're wrong, this attitude came right to the fore during the tournament games and the 4v4, the idea that the "most skilful" players had been eliminated.

For a starter can we stop equating "skill" with "ability to shoot guns" there are skills all through the game, taming, surviving, riding dinos, crafting, all of it Is a skill and in the hands of a good player will always do more than a poor player (the definition of skill), ie a good player can get a tech spot farm going 3-5 mins quicker than a "poor" player, or a good player might take a level 27 Rex with poop stats and win with it, there are skills all through the game and a huge amount of them to master.

If you want to play a 100% guns only survival game there are _plenty_ of them the beauty of SOTF is its unique, no other game marries the difficulty of just surviving, with crafting and taming mechanics and am all for them keeping the game where it Is, pandering to some people who want it to be CS:GO with pets would only be to the overall detriment of the game.

The amount of "skill" needed to work with a tame like a spino or rex is very limited in my opinion. Wouldn't even call it skill, all that's needed is experience.

Tame it, level it on pve or bobs, be invincible unless someone has more tames or a rocket launcher (hail to the king op).

We really have to thank the "guns are op, my lvl 3 spino with 900 hp died to a shotgun" cries when the standalone was released...

12 minutes ago, Narco Polo said:

The amount of "skill" needed to work with a tame like a spino or rex is very limited in my opinion. Wouldn't even call it skill, all that's needed is experience.

Tame it, level it on pve or bobs, be invincible unless someone has more tames or a rocket launcher (hail to the king op).

We really have to thank the "guns are op, my lvl 3 spino with 900 hp died to a shotgun" cries when the standalone was released...

Its a Skill by pure definition its, getting a good TE on it is a skill too.... especially with a big carnivore, yes anyone can tame a 5% TE spino or rex, but then they end up with a 130% melee damage animal that's useless. As I said layers of skills. Defending it until it comes up is a skill and all.

I'm really not sure any of these are less skilful than shooting guns that have zero drop off with a permanent crosshair in the middle of the screen mind....

and guns WERE a problem when the game came out, being able to pistol down a high level tame across the arena was a bad place to be in.

I kinda disagree with the "it's a dinosaur game" argument ? It's got weapons, structures, melee, tech, food system and stuff. We can't just sum it up to dinosaurs when it's surrounded by so much content. While I agree dinosaurs are and should remain the biggest part of the game, other alternatives should be reliable at some point !

21 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I kinda disagree with the "it's a dinosaur game" argument ? It's got weapons, structures, melee, tech, food system and stuff. We can't just sum it up to dinosaurs when it's surrounded by so much content. While I agree dinosaurs are and should remain the biggest part of the game, other alternatives should be reliable at some point !

I agree, to much dino, not enough pvp. its the only meta at the moment, unless you're against inexperienced players.  Which begs the question, how is this going to be a successful esport? When the whole game is based on chance and spamming your left mouse click.

We could argue all day about where the skill lies in SOTF but i think the point is being missed, just look at any high elo lobby and you see 5 people all playing defensively on big tames. Far from what you would call dynamic game play and very boring to spectate waiting for something to happen. 

We want a game that has more 'great plays' or clutches not so much of the 'wow a level 34 rex to tame, GGEZ' 

I personally think the problem lies in the way the end fights happen. if you look at early fights they are on mountains, in rivers, forests, they are exciting dynamic battles. The open flat static environment at the end isnt a good battleground. Its just something that came to mind as i was writing this but imagine if the final ring was moving around the map slowly at overtime. it would create many different situations and opportunities for interesting combat. 

Silly suggestion i know but the point is the dino strat fits the current defensive meta. we don't necessarily need a rebalance but maybe need something new to mix it up. 

Archived