New router randomly causes disconnects

Chasiv

Hi folks,

I've been playing ark for over a year, so I know disconnects happen.   But, I've just changed out my router on my network and all of a sudden I get disconnects like every 20 minutes.  They are limited to just my desktop (wired) connection.   The other laptop (wireless connection) has no issues of this nature.   Any thoughts on what could be causing it?   Of note, there is a switch behind that wired connection (which I must use because I have 2 PCs [personal & work] on that side of the room).   But the switch was in with an older router which had no issues.

Any help would be appreciated as it is ruining the game for me.   

Thanks..

Did you also change out lan cables or are they the same as your old setup. Does the new router have a different speed rating compared to the old one (i.e. did the old router give 100 Mbs to the lan segment, and the new one 1 Gbs).

As @Zapha sez - is the DHCP setting in the new router set to provide short term leases, and the PC's are renewing their IP every so 20 minutes or so? (Although the way most such setups work, the PC will likely get its same IP address on a re-request)

My first suspect would be the lan cables - jiggling them around whilst installing the new router may have upset things - or in the instance that the new router does provide a faster lan connection than previously, you may need new lan cables that are rated for the capability of the new router?

Good luck!

Thanks for the response.  The cables actually did not change as the router is behind a switch.  The computer hooks directly to the switch and thus was never disconnected.       The speed did, indeed, change.    What i tested was to connect a Wi-Fi adapter to the computer to see if it experienced the same problem and it works fine now.   So it is definitely something within the wired portion of the router that has changed things.   I would still love to know the logic in why, but at least I can play the game now without issues.

8 hours ago, Chasiv said:

Thanks for the response.  The cables actually did not change as the router is behind a switch.  The computer hooks directly to the switch and thus was never disconnected.       The speed did, indeed, change.    What i tested was to connect a Wi-Fi adapter to the computer to see if it experienced the same problem and it works fine now.   So it is definitely something within the wired portion of the router that has changed things.   I would still love to know the logic in why, but at least I can play the game now without issues.

It is likely that your LAN cables (some or all) are OK to run at 100Mbs, but fail at 1Gbs. Replace them one by one with new CAT-5 (or even CAT-6) cables and you will be away.
What happens is that the bits connect to each other at 1Gbs, but the cable is not good enough to support that speed, specifically under load, so then the connection fails and has to be reopened. You could try going into your computers network settings and force the wired connection to run at 100Mbs instead of 1Gbs - and that may fix the issue. However if the failing cable is the one between your switch and the router - then you are out of luck with that plan. New LAN cables is the answer!

Archived