Server suddenly not showing up anywhere...

Xenithar

OK, our server had been up for a few days and we played in the morning a Thursday. I went to work, came home, and could not see the server. Mind you, I am on a LAN to the server. Literally a 1ft Cat6 cable, brand-new gigabit switch, then a 6ft shielded Cat6 to the server. No chance for failure. Besides, Teamspeak runs on that box and I was connected. I could also RDP into the system, so the network was gold.

I checked and the Ark server process was running, so I checked my mods. No updates. The latest update had not dropped yet, so no versions mismatched. No idea why the servers were not showing in my LAN view in the game itself.

So I come out of Ark and go to Steam->View->Servers and on that LAN tab nothing showed. I then clicked the favorites tab. There are my servers! Clicked one, entered my password, and I got "Unable to query server for invite". So I launch Ark again, and change the list from LAN to Favorites in Ark itself and my servers show up. I try to connect and all is good. This means that I can see the servers in both Steam Favorites and in the Ark server-browser under Favorites, but not under LAN in either location.

Mods are matched up. I could not join if they were not matched, so they are ruled out. Server and client are up to date. I have restarted each Ark server process in the cluster. I even shut it all down and rebooted the physical server and then brought everything back up, as well as rebooting my rig. No updates have been applied to the server or my rig as far as Windows goes. I run 7 Pro 64bit (yay, no Ark crashes!) so I do not receive updates. Ark is fully updated on the server and client. I deleted the mods from the server and added them again via copying from my rig. No change. The servers just refuse to show on anything but favorites. What gives? This started while the server was running so no changes were made. No hardware changed. No software changed. No configuration changed. It literally just stopped showing.

Have been having the same problem for the last few days.  We have a cluster of servers on lan with the appropriate ports forwarded.  Has worked without issue for a few months.  Now the servers do not show in the lan tab, can't find them in the unofficial filter.  Most days I can join by using the my survivors filter, and it lists the server twice but will connect.  My servers are running on linux.

12 hours ago, zepanv said:

Have been having the same problem for the last few days.  We have a cluster of servers on lan with the appropriate ports forwarded.  Has worked without issue for a few months.  Now the servers do not show in the lan tab, can't find them in the unofficial filter.  Most days I can join by using the my survivors filter, and it lists the server twice but will connect.  My servers are running on linux.

Mine runs on Windows Server 2019, so it affects both Windows and Linux! Ports are not the issue. I even disabled the firewall completely (I still have a Linux gateway device filtering the WAN) and cannot see it on the LAN from my system. I also disabled my firewall so nothing was between the two PCs, and no go. LAN is broken somehow.

I posted this on our clan forum ages ago and it is how my players connect to our servers. Hope it helps!

To create a desktop or start menu shortcut in Windows to connect directly to one of our servers simply follow these instructions. No more messing around in the "Join" menu in-game searching for them.

Right-click on your desktop and choose "New->Shortcut"
In the item location textbox, enter one of the links below. You may copy and paste the link
Click the "Next" button and enter a name for the shortcut, such as "The Island" so your shortcuts are identafiable
Click the "Finish" button
Optional, but you can right-click on the new shortcut and choose "Properties" to select an icon

The Island: steam://connect/hostname.com:27015

I'm having the same issue after the most recent update. The vanilla, no-mod private dedicated server has been running smoothly for over a year and now it will not allow anyone to join, kicking back a 'Unable to query server info for invite.'

I've tried all the solutions posted online, swapping ports, and reinstalled both my Ark client and the Dedicated Server files and it's still not working.

The server is definitely starting up, as the map files in the saved arks folder are updating and saving each time I shut down the server.

The most telling clue is that it does not show up in the Steam LAN tab, which means that Steam isn't recognizing the shootergameserver is even running (it previously showed up here even if your ports were set up wrong).

Has anyone came up with a solution for this yet?  We are having a very similar issue...

We run a small server on LAN, it has worked fine for months without any issues.  When the Turkey Trial went live, we enabled it on our server and continued playing as normal until December 8th when the Turkey Trial ended.  After the Turkey Trial ended, the server never showed up again when searching via LAN.  We have updated the server, ensured all mods were updated, etc... however it never worked after this point.

After a few days of double checking ports, updates, etc, we decided to just re configure our server and start from scratch.  But even after re-configuring our server and starting over, it still does not show up on LAN.

Im fairly confident that this is something on ARK's end... we have been running our own servers for years in many different games; and after double checking everything, our setup is correct.  Something has changed on ARK's end.

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

On 12/14/2020 at 8:04 AM, Frombus said:

I'm having the same issue after the most recent update. The vanilla, no-mod private dedicated server has been running smoothly for over a year and now it will not allow anyone to join, kicking back a 'Unable to query server info for invite.'

I've tried all the solutions posted online, swapping ports, and reinstalled both my Ark client and the Dedicated Server files and it's still not working.

The server is definitely starting up, as the map files in the saved arks folder are updating and saving each time I shut down the server.

The most telling clue is that it does not show up in the Steam LAN tab, which means that Steam isn't recognizing the shootergameserver is even running (it previously showed up here even if your ports were set up wrong).

17 hours ago, laffinstock said:

Has anyone came up with a solution for this yet?  We are having a very similar issue...

We run a small server on LAN, it has worked fine for months without any issues.  When the Turkey Trial went live, we enabled it on our server and continued playing as normal until December 8th when the Turkey Trial ended.  After the Turkey Trial ended, the server never showed up again when searching via LAN.  We have updated the server, ensured all mods were updated, etc... however it never worked after this point.

After a few days of double checking ports, updates, etc, we decided to just re configure our server and start from scratch.  But even after re-configuring our server and starting over, it still does not show up on LAN.

Im fairly confident that this is something on ARK's end... we have been running our own servers for years in many different games; and after double checking everything, our setup is correct.  Something has changed on ARK's end.

Try the shortcut I detailed above. It works. My mother (retired, enjoys Ark of all things) can join my server this way every single time without a hitch. She lives about 40min away, so not via LAN. It bypasses everything and directly connects. If THAT fails I don't know.

20 hours ago, laffinstock said:

The only thing that worked for me was to connect via the unofficial tab instead of the LAN tab. My servers are visible to the outside world anyway, so it wasn't a big change. If you aren't set up that way, you'll need to do the port forwarding and set up a password or whitelist. And be sure to thank WC for the hassle.

EDIT: Note that sometimes you have to restart the server a couple times or leave it running for 10 mins or so before it appears in the unofficlal tab.

I had a setup a few years ago which was working fine for both LAN and WAN access. Now only WAN access seems to work.

Here I've tested a lot of things so far. Linux, Windows servers, shutdown anything that could interfere with the LAN connections.

It shows in the steam servers tab for the LAN address but still getting "Unable to query server for invite" message.

A network trace of the traffic between the server and the client with wireshark points at a problem with the ICMP protocol when connecting but I haven't been able to go further. 

I would be interesting if someone having the same problem would do the same to confirm my findings.

• 5 months later...

Archived