Can't connect to my dedicated server after update

thejduman

Can't connect to my dedicated server after update

I have been running a dedicated server for me and a few friends for a couple of days now. However, after installing the updates yesterday neither me or my friends can connect to my server. The server does not show up in my favorites list in game and I am unable to connect to it using the Steam server browser. Additionally, I can't connect to it locally. The ports are forwarded correctly. I had recently switched the server to the Crystal Isles map, would that affect anything? Also, after installing the update I noticed that I have been getting the gethostbyname error, but I have been told that this doesn't affect anything. If anyone is able to help me with this issue I would really appreciate it. 

I run two Linux servers on my local network and port forward them so my community can join. After the update I had to open extra ports just to be able to connect to my Linux servers within my local network (e.g. used to work with only port 7778, now I have to open 7778 and 7777 for a single server). But they are still inaccessible from anybody outside my local network.

I solved the same problem with my server.
Are you sure you followed these official instructions?
"Necessary Server Args:
-crossplay (enables Crossplay on Dedicated Server)
-epiconly (enables Epic Game Store only players to connect to the Dedicated Server)
-UseVivox (enables Vivox on Steam only servers)"

So your batch file should contain "-crossplay" at the end of the line.

If you cannot access your dedicated server with the same computer, you need to enable a NAT-loopback in addition to port forwarding on router. I could not solve this problem for a very long time and it turned out that the here was point.

22 hours ago, GyozaGuy said:

I run two Linux servers on my local network and port forward them so my community can join. After the update I had to open extra ports just to be able to connect to my Linux servers within my local network (e.g. used to work with only port 7778, now I have to open 7778 and 7777 for a single server). But they are still inaccessible from anybody outside my local network.

I currently only have my game port forwarded on my router. Should I try forwarding any other ports? Also I am running my server on Windows.

14 hours ago, JoeKeyFar said:

I solved the same problem with my server.
Are you sure you followed these official instructions?
"Necessary Server Args:
-crossplay (enables Crossplay on Dedicated Server)
-epiconly (enables Epic Game Store only players to connect to the Dedicated Server)
-UseVivox (enables Vivox on Steam only servers)"

So your batch file should contain "-crossplay" at the end of the line.

If you cannot access your dedicated server with the same computer, you need to enable a NAT-loopback in addition to port forwarding on router. I could not solve this problem for a very long time and it turned out that the here was point.

Do I need to have any of these arguments in order for my server to show up? All of my friends and I are using the Steam version. I am running the server on a different computer than the one I am playing on, so that's the one I am trying to connect on in my local network. What is a NAT-loopback and would I want to try doing it?

9 hours ago, thejduman said:

I currently only have my game port forwarded on my router. Should I try forwarding any other ports? Also I am running my server on Windows.

Do I need to have any of these arguments in order for my server to show up? All of my friends and I are using the Steam version. I am running the server on a different computer than the one I am playing on, so that's the one I am trying to connect on in my local network. What is a NAT-loopback and would I want to try doing it?

These arguments help me to see server on my Epic version. IDK about steam.
About NAT. Depends on the model of the router. Check your own. In my case, the ability to enable the NAT-loopback is for each port that I open, or/and through the enable DMZ. I do not realy know how the NAT-loopback functions, I don't realy know how the DMZ functions, but it exactly worked in my case.

Just now, JoeKeyFar said:

If you do not see the server in the list from Steam, you can prescribe the IP address of your dedicated server in your "favorites" in steam>view>servers. Do not forget to specify the port 7777. For example, "12.34.567.89:7777". It helped my friend see my server. He's on Steam, I'm in Epic.

I have already tried this and it says the server is not responding.

I'm assuming you're using the Steam view servers>favorites tab. Are you trying external IP or internal IP? If neither are working, then it's either a port forwarding issue, or the server simply isn't set up correctly. 

RE: NAT loopback (hairpinning): This allows you to access your server via external IP which is important for server clustering. Without it, you won't be able to transfer your character between the servers you're hosting (players outside of your home network will not have this problem since they're already using external IP).

A recent update seems to have broken this though. If anyone else has a solution to this issue, please reply. I was hoping latest patch that re-enabled "multihome" would resolve it but no luck here. I'm still only able to connect using the internal IP. 

27 minutes ago, JDawg35 said:

I'm assuming you're using the Steam view servers>favorites tab. Are you trying external IP or internal IP? If neither are working, then it's either a port forwarding issue, or the server simply isn't set up correctly. 

RE: NAT loopback (hairpinning): This allows you to access your server via external IP which is important for server clustering. Without it, you won't be able to transfer your character between the servers you're hosting (players outside of your home network will not have this problem since they're already using external IP).

A recent update seems to have broken this though. If anyone else has a solution to this issue, please reply. I was hoping latest patch that re-enabled "multihome" would resolve it but no luck here. I'm still only able to connect using the internal IP. 

I'm experiencing the same thing, no matter what I do I can only access my Linux dedicated servers using the internal IP, but the external IP doesn't work (other than the query port, so it's visible but nobody can connect to it).

Archived