Underwater Mount - Giant Seahorse.

TheHelleri

Suggestion

Underwater Mount - Giant Seahorse.

With the seeming intent to expand on water related content, I'd like to see a Giant Seahorse mount introduced into the game. When I say "Giant i mean by Seahorse standards. So it would be about the size of an equus. Perhaps a bit smaller. It would have low carry weight and swim very slowly, sinking to the bottom when not actively swimming. Yet it can do hops off of underwater terrain which move it along at a better pace. As well as turn on it's axis (this combined with the slow swimming makes for controlled landings post-hop).

It's left click attack creates suction that can grab small creatures. Something like a manta being about as large a creature as it can grab. However having very low weight (like raptor or terror bird amount of weight, maybe lower) it would move intolerably slow holding something as large as a manta. Left clicking again releases those creatures it's suctioned to with a jet of water that knocks them back somewhat and does a small amount of torpor to the released creature. This ability would be mostly for rounding up and moving creatures like celeocanth, salmon, and piranha into containment pens (which makes for convenient fishing, and fish/prime fish meat harvesting).

It's right click attack uses it's tail to latch onto objects, players, and creatures. It can even latch onto fleeing wild creatures with this ability (and ranged/melee weapons can be used while mounted on it). Clicking right click again releases it from what ever it has latched onto.

While it has no real offensive capability it's very keratinous skin makes it incredibly tanky against certain kinds of damage. It doesn't have much hp. But it has a natural very high melee damage reduction (a reduction that doesn't come into play against projectiles).

It's most interesting bit of utility is probably it's C key/special ability. Which allows it to blow bubbles based on a charge. This works somewhat between a parasaurss scare ability and the charge of a light creature. In that the ability to blow bubbles is based on level of charge, that it can be toggled to auto blow when fully charged, but only while in turret mode. While mounted the blow bubbles ability can be used as long as there is charge and with a cooldown.

The bubbles replenish (incrementally) the oxygen of any creature or player that comes into contact with them. A player riding a seashorse can face it downwards and blow bubbles to replenish their own oxygen. Or direct the bubbles at a tame (which will also replenish the oxygen of a player riding that tame). Two seahorses going in a round (one blowing bubbles while another recharges) can provide a constant oxygen supply if placed say under stone pillbox that is stilted. This won't create an air pocket. It's just that the particle effect passes through the pillbox and counts as oxygen replenishment to any living thing it touches inside the pill box as it does so. So while a bob could have an underwater stone base of sorts. They still couldn't do anything that requires fire (camp fire, cooking pot, torches, forges and the like are still not usable in this environment).

So this for instance can allow a bob to make under water breeding pens and caches that don't really constitute a full base. But  there is a downside to a seahorse squat. That particle effect goes all the way to the surface and creates a churning effect on the surface. Also the stream of bubbles is visible from a fairly long way off underwater. So players on PvP  servers will have to be clever about where they place such installations (using things like rock overhands that go up to the surface) to mask the particle effect so their location isn't given away. Which also limits where they can be effectively located (and thus the areas a raider would have to search if hunting for such spots).

A seahorse would spawn in shallow waters at about the same rate and commonality as hesperornis (so not rare but not all too common). They spawn alone or in male and female pairs. It is a passive tame that attempts to keep it's distance from a player and cannot be coerced into attacking. They are omnivores and as such may have common requirements to tame such as mejoberries or meat. But may also want things like rare flowers, rare mushrooms, or prime fish meat. Seahorses very rarely spawn as high level in the wild (most all of them being under level 35). Their biggest natural threat is swarms of manta (much like the basil).

They can be bred but they are hard to keep up with. The female spawns many low level eggs that are small and buoyant very shortly after being set to mate with a male. These eggs have an expiration timer on the order of a couple of minutes and must be manually picked up and placed in the males pouch for incubation (This could be a thing where a male seahorse can incubate any egg from any creature under a certain size). The males incubation time depends on the number of eggs in his pouch. When they hatch he will eject them from his pouch (twins and triplets are possible). The babies are much faster than the adults and will instinctually dart off in many different directions. There could be dozens of them, they are small and quick. even a group of ten people may on manage to claim 5 of them between the lot before the rest die. After babies are claimed raising them carries on in a normal fashion.

There is no saddle for the sea horse (having a natural saddle shaped back).

Killing one commonly yields fish meat keratin and organic polymer. It rarely yields prime fish meat.

There would be such a thing as an alpha seahorse. Alpha seahorse are of course not tamable. They have an additional damage reduction to ranged attack that seahorses don't normally have. and the normal elevated health pool one would expect from an alpha creature per level. Alpha seahorses are exceedingly rare. Like the unicorn only one spawns on a map at any given time. Killing one yields a seahorse hat skin. Killing 10 of them permanently unlocks the seahorse hat skin. killing 25 of them permanently unlocks a sea horse hat as an attachment that can be made in a smithy and reduces all damage to the helmet it is attached to by 5%.. Killing 50 of them permanently unlocks a seahorse tail whip skin. 75 kills makes that seahorse tail whip skin an unlocked attachment that can be crafted at a smithy. which increases durability of a whip by 20%. 100 kills permanently unlocks a seahorse chest shield skin. 150 kills turns that skin into smithy craftable attachment that decreases a shield's weight by 50%.

4 replies to this server topic

1 hour ago, TheHelleri said:

Imagine for instance taming a mosa with one or even killing low level mosa to get a better chance at a high level spawn. And that's just the tail latch and melee damage reduction.

You're likely better off with a Megalodon or Plesi for fighting a Mosa. Those creatures possess what sounds to be better melee and health, but also boast the speed to escape from most other threats(Especially surprise Cnidaria or Electrophorus). 

I probably wouldn't transport one with a Tuso either. Without the ink ability, the Tuso isn't much of a speed demon either. 

Dismounting enemy players does sound like a good ability with the way you've described it. If you can also push survivors away with a blast, maybe you could incorporate that to be a movement option. Short bursts of water to increase overall movement speed over short distances. 

You mentioned a weakness to projectiles in the first post, which kinda excludes it from the being an all out tank like the Basi and Mosa are. If you made them fully herbivorous(Maybe tamed with Veggie Cakes?) it would gain access to said Veggie Cakes and be able to tank with some of those in its inventory. Making it immune to shocking could also make it a good Cnidaria and Electro killer than can reach deeper depths than the Basi. Having a saddle would also help a lot, but if the natural damage res. is high enough this may be unnecessary. 

I don't know how consistent the bubble ability would be given Ark's wonkiness at times. It may work better as an AOE like the Direbear and Basi insulation, but that depends on how it's implemented.

The tail latch also sounds like it could come out really buggy, but it's really neat. 

I don't hate the idea, not by a long shot, but it feels like it would either 1. Be out competed by every other ocean mount or 2. Simply not get implemented correctly. 

You're onto something, that I won't deny, but the 

On 1/30/2020 at 7:00 AM, Qwertymine said:

No overly useful PvP or PvE abilites, most spawn under level 35, and overall only contribute to a gimmick which has its own downsides either way?

A seahorse sounds like an awesome idea, but this one would be doomed to be more obscure than Dodos in term of usage. 

I don't know how you get that impression from it's aspects and abilities. The ability to latch onto even fleeing creatures while taking little melee damage (no if one latches on in the right place) and still use weapons from a mounted position seems pretty powerful to me. Imagine for instance taming a mosa with one or even killing low level mosa to get a better chance at a high level spawn. And that's just the tail latch and melee damage reduction. Suctioning and spitting away creatures smaller and lighter than it'self Could have all sorts of control utility. One would imagine that most players are lighter than it (and all definitely a bit smaller). So it could theoretically suction a player off they're mount and jettison them them rather far away from it. Sure they don't move fast on their own but a tuso could be used to move one where it needs to be dropped above an unsuspecting enemy that's tanking turrets.

The bubbling ability imo is the best part of it. It means a player can get into the water game a little easier before unlocking scuba gear and the resources to make a lot of lazarus chowders. But it also means a player that has those engrams and resources can take one or two less spare tanks out with them. And have a tanky distraction for killing alphas (again just set it to auto-bubble and grab it with the tuso). While it bubbling a pill box or something doesn't allow a player to use fire related stuff still. It can mean that a player could relatively safely afk or even log off underwater and be fine when they come back (again you'd want to time the bubbling between two of them so one is bubbling while the other recharges).

I get not liking the low spawn in levels and rarity of spawning. Perhaps even the tame method or breeding difficulty is off putting. But I see these as balances to all the utility this thing would actually have. If you really look at what it's about I'm sure you could imagine good uses for it I haven't thought of.  Of course this isn't a take everything or leave all of it proposition. As you said yourself a seashorse sounds like an awesome idea. If you have problems with the proposed implementation (which we ought to all know if they adopted the idea that they would change radically anyways). Suggest modifications and alterations to it.

@Qwertymine

I agree that the potential for things to go wrong with how it's implemented is huge. I like the ideas you've put down here. Especially the part about veggie cake taming. Because it expands on the usefulness of a pre-existing asset. Currently (as far as I'm aware) the cake's only taming use is for snails and sheep.  And it would have to be fully herbivorous to have it being a heavy veggie cake use and tame thing make sense. But do you think it should be a veggie cake only tame or simply that veggie cake is most effective?

With some of your other comments it makes me think how the movement works should be re-imagined to basically be an under water gasbag that works opposite to how the gas bag works in the water. So it fills it's self with water to become less buoyant. And as it jets water away it gains propulsion and becomes increasingly more buoyant. But because it's fully aquatic if it ascends too quickly, too close to the surface with, too little ballast remaining it can jump out of the water and when it does so takes some HP damage (because it's not an air breather, but it doesn't outright die because it brings some water with it). Just like how if you loose too much air with a gasbag and land from far enough up it can take a lot of damage. It's just reversed.

So with this we get a familiar movement mechanic that just works opposite-wise because it's underwater. You can take a gasbag out for swim. But it isn't really optimized for it. On the surface when filled with air a gas bag makes a decent raft. But try to take advantage of it's damage reduction by swimming down (like to get into a cave) and it's increadbly sluggish and constantly fighting floating back up. Release the air and it's still not fast enough to get away from a mega. It won't be so bouyant but doesn't have the damage reduction either (it's basically dead with no air underwater if your not careful).

So the sea horse could be the underwater gas bag. Works in a way that feels very familiar to the gasbag. But optimized for ocean going. It could even have it's tankiness (for ranged and melee I suppose) be tied directly to it's amount of ballast, again like the gasbag. A good question would be should the amount of ballast it has also effect it's charge for air or should that be an entirely separate thing?

Of course it would also be unique in some ways so it isn't only that. The suctioning to a creature is a side effect perhaps. So it normally sucks in water for ballast and jettisons it for propulsion. And that jet will do knockback to any creatures directly in the path of the stream. Again similar to the gas bag or a wyvern flapping it's wings on ground. But maybe less of a conical projection and more of a tight focused very directional effect.  So it effectively can push off of a pursuer like an alpha mosa. However a mosa would be so large that it doesn't get knocked back by the jet stream. Rather it only ends up in the sea horse speeding away faster. The main difference here would be that if something small enough is in the path of it's suction, that thing gets drawn towards it. If and can clog it's suction. When something does get suctioned to it's mouth. Releasing it is always a jettison action. But it doesn't push the seahorse back (it only shoots the thing that got stuck away). By how much would be a calculated thing. Like the amount of ballast it filled before the clog happened vs. the weight of the creature.

This way if it did say suction itself to a mosa when it released because of how big a mosa is, it would simply release with no propulsion effect. and would have to suck in more ballast to jettison itself away from the mosa (which it could likely suck enough of before the mosa manages to come about). To be clear I'm not suggesting that it might normally ever even have much interaction with a mosa. The mosa is just a convenient large creature to use for these examples.

Now being more of a narrowly directed thing would mean that it's suction ability could be more easily and precisely targeted. So a player could for instance while chilling on the sea floor see an enemy on a basil swimming over head moving towards their base. They could fill their ballast, jetisson their way up to the enemy, flip around while filling ballast (because it would retain the swivel on it's own axis thing that the tapej can do and I image anywhere this things goes it would be moving backwards much like the tuso), and the suction the player off the mount. Then jettison that player way (should jettison break grapples?). Then use remaining ballast to zip away to safety where the player can hop off and whip out their tuso, then go to work on the then dismounted basil after intercepting and killing the enemy player (who is still probably trying to swim back to it or at least get within grapple range of it again).

Now while I really like the idea of actually blowing bubbles. I could live with as little as a passive AoE of reducing oxygen consumption if that's all we can get. The fact is we know they can do stuff like that and you're right that we don't know how well they could implement the bubble blowing. We also know their new development strength is geared towards re-skinning and adjusting values (e.g. Atlas... Have to get my petty little jabs in where I can lol). Nothing suggested in this re-imaging that attempts to take your feedback into consideration is anything that some creature in some form doesn't already do. It's just a recombination of pre-existing assets, all except for the sea horse model and animations (i.e. we're making this as easy on them to bring it into being, relatively bug free, as possible).

I think the final thing to touch on here is the saddle. Because we can tie damage resistance to amount of ballast. A saddle is unnecessary. I don't imagine the seahorse would really bee any larger than an equus. I think if they tail can grab things (maybe we avoid things like latching onto fleeing creatures and just make it more like a tapej wall grab). Feasibly the tail could also be used to pick a player. So if it did have a saddle, making it a second seat saddle like on the gasbag seems pointless and hard to manage. Although the saddle could have a handle bar that another player could grab onto in order to be pulled along and we remove the pick ability of the tail and just make it attach to surfaces like the tapej. To make that actually useful you'd have to be able to fill ballast while attached to a surface.

I really don't think it should be a saddle required to ride mount. But maybe it shouldn't be like the direwolf or wyvern where there isn't any kind of saddle for it either. Again it should probably be more like the gasbag in this respect (or more analogously like the equus). But adding a saddle to a no saddle required mount that can have a saddle does imply that something about having a saddle makes it better beyond just having armor. What that should I am unsure of.

Archived