ARK Diaries... Share a crazy story... BTW Compys are Jerks!

N1NJAM005E

7 minutes ago, Grimlock98 said:

my son joined us last friday and is now level 52.... you get shared exp and my partner and I are some grinders... 

That does not sound like much of a grind when you have all that going for you :| 

Can you see if me and my son can join on a trial basis to see if we fit in?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ImpureFrost said:

That moment when you come out of the ocean and see a compy pack, think they are cute. You head to base not killing them cause they didn't so much damage to you when you are in riot. They go to base and deaggro on your passive bronto and kill it because you lost them... Then they moved onto the passive mesopithecus army... Then the passive quetzals so they don't fly away... Compies are jerks D:

They are jerks... like little cute ninja jerks

Just now, N1NJAM005E said:

She wasn't doing anything wrong and was trying to protect me from the jerk compy's :S

I lost a Trike that way. She took off after a wild Bronto.

Unless I find one stuck, I wipe out every compys that I see.

In short, I try to be aware of what is nearby when hunting or gathering with a pet. It is hard to determine the range of when an attack will set off a chain reaction.

4 minutes ago, N1NJAM005E said:

That does not sound like much of a grind when you have all that going for you :| 

Can you see if me and my son can join on a trial basis to see if we fit in?

you havent seen our setup LOL, there is always something to do.  and i mean grind like making 50 stone walls at once, 200 narcotics at ones.  you get that shared exp, harvesting things...etc

my son is only 6 so he can only get so much done.  need to tame more scorpions, rex's, constantly need meat, i tell him to take the rex and go kill everything and come back to fill the trough, and i go cook dinner LOL!

4 hours ago, TheShadow144 said:

When I Was A Little Less Advanced I Was Trying To Get Silica Pearls On The Server I Play On But Because The Alpha Tribe Lived In The Areas Where They Spawn In Shallow Water (The Edge Of The Snow) I Had The Great Idea To Take My Icthy Down To The Bottom Of The Ocean Quickly To Grab Some And Run (I Didn't Have Scuba) As I Turn Around To Get Back On My Icthy I See 2 Plesis My Icthy Gets Rekt And I Try To Swim Fast But I Got Rekt So When I Respawned I Went To The Same Place To Get My Stuff On The Back Of A Megaloddon And As I Turn To Get On It A Mosa Kills It And I Get Rekt Again, Moral Of The Story The Ocean Is Spooky

That might actually be worse. You emerge from the dark, merky ocean and are staring at those? I might have pooped myself right there.

The ocean is a dark place indeed

1 minute ago, N1NJAM005E said:

That might actually be worse. You emerge from the dark, merky ocean and are staring at those? I might have pooped myself right there.

The ocean is a dark place indeed

oh its dark and spooky, but i hang out there alot.  taking Jaws down to the bottom to hunt for mosa's.  funny thing is your vision is crap until you hop off your mount and look around then you can see more clearly.

Just now, Grimlock98 said:

you havent seen our setup LOL, there is always something to do.  and i mean grind like making 50 stone walls at once, 200 narcotics at ones.  you get that shared exp, harvesting things...etc

my son is only 6 so he can only get so much done.  need to tame more scorpions, rex's, constantly need meat, i tell him to take the rex and go kill everything and come back to fill the trough, and i go cook dinner LOL!

See I am a total grinder (always have been) and maybe that is why I don't have any kibble supply at level 67 because I was always too busy harvesting wood, stone etc

It would still seem like a walk in the park though compared, especially since you can adjust the sliders to make farming stone and what not less painful

My son on the other hand is the opposite, he wants to take the one man wolf pack and go run around killing things. I swear I have a heart attack every time he does (yeah ok maybe I am a little over protective of the wolf). Granted it helps fill the troughs but it is scary at the same time since it is our only wolf.

6 minutes ago, rpicardi1 said:

I lost a Trike that way. She took off after a wild Bronto.

Unless I find one stuck, I wipe out every compys that I see.

In short, I try to be aware of what is nearby when hunting or gathering with a pet. It is hard to determine the range of when an attack will set off a chain reaction.

Moving forward. I am going to make a billboard in game saying DEATH TO ALL COMPY'S and every time I see one, it will die. Oh yes death will come

1 minute ago, N1NJAM005E said:

See I am a total grinder (always have been) and maybe that is why I don't have any kibble supply at level 67 because I was always too busy harvesting wood, stone etc

It would still seem like a walk in the park though compared, especially since you can adjust the sliders to make farming stone and what not less painful

My son on the other hand is the opposite, he wants to take the one man wolf pack and go run around killing things. I swear I have a heart attack every time he does (yeah ok maybe I am a little over protective of the wolf). Granted it helps fill the troughs but it is scary at the same time since it is our only wolf.

we have like 7 in a row sitting around doing nothing. LOL. which is why we made a pack of dogs lol.

farming is easy, just use the right dinos

thanks for reminding me about making kibble, thats kind of my duty.  got a fridge with a ton of eggs. 

1 minute ago, Grimlock98 said:

we have like 7 in a row sitting around doing nothing. LOL. which is why we made a pack of dogs lol.

farming is easy, just use the right dinos

thanks for reminding me about making kibble, thats kind of my duty.  got a fridge with a ton of eggs. 

Lucky. Wolf has always been my favorite mount (until I had the Rex for almost 24 hours). Compys Suck!

I did manage to tame a 120 saber before Rex died.  Had to use raw meat for the most part (I did farm 20 or so Prime with Rex while taming though)

Had the Saber chase me to my taming pen... We went up ramp, I fell in, saber fell in, I ran to ladder, climbed out, Saber stayed inside. It was mine 3.5 hours later :S

Took my Spino out last night to Drayo's Cove to fish. Took me half an hour to clean out the threats from two wild T-Rexes, two Carnos, some raptors, and several scorpions. (Thank you stimms.) When I finally went fishing, I gathered tons of meat. One large Coe added 100 raw meat in one bite. The mega Paranas keep their distance so long as the spino is wading.

Just now, rpicardi1 said:

Took my Spino out last night to Drayo's Cove to fish. Took me half an hour to clean out the threats from two wild T-Rexes, two Carnos, some raptors, and several scorpions. (Thank you stimms.) When I finally went fishing, I gathered tons of meat. One large Coe added 100 raw meat in one bite. The mega Paranas keep their distance so long as the spino is wading.

See spino's are pretty bad ass ( I don't have one yet but it is on to do list)

19 minutes ago, rpicardi1 said:

Rather easy to drop a low level one from a cliff. Just make sure it doesn't drop in the water.

6Wnl22S.jpg

That is my plan of attack once I begin the journey finding one. There always seems to be one that spawns in the foot paw area (West 1 area) at the bottom of the cliff (but usually in the water around there). That is the one I will be looking for (original base is right there) just have to make sure it is not in the water and of course I need to get the right kibble otherwise I am taming with Raw Meat (forever).

N1NJA my condolences, I am so sorry. I never take my dinos out, and I kill every compy I see, for I learned early on what kind of horse hockey ensues. :( However, I also came here to grieve for my own loss, and if I would've brought some pets I'd still have all my stuff.

Harvesting oil in the northwest, solo pve primitive, business as usual. I look up and see a mammoth fly off the cliff above, followed by a mix of 5-7 wolves and sabers, mate boosted and pissed off. I couldn't fight them off or get away from my raft enough to keep them from killing me and destroying everything on it including my bed. So I spawn home, grab crap clothes and jump on my ptera and fly back. I see the pack and 4 bags of my stuff and the bare raft. I'm furiously checking the bags while freezing to death, grabbing things here and there but I couldn't find the stuff I had on me when I died- then they killed me again. Respawn, grab even crappier clothes, throw a dimorph on my shoulder and grab my last ptera. I don't know what happened but ptera#1 must've wiped the whole pack, they were gone. I frantically checked my bags again and again, but the one carrying my current loadout was never found. Nevermind losing the 350+ oil, the prime meat, etc. I lost my journeyman-level gear, including my pike. I always swore I'd quit if I lost my pike, as I have no blueprint for it and I've never seen another. She was very special to me. Now I also don't have the gear that kept me comfortably op and warm- confidence shattered. I gathered up my flock and rafted home in silence, almost freezing to death in the process.

I just logged off maybe an hour ago, and I am numb. This game will rip your heart out. Thanks fer lettin me vent!

@N1NJAM005E

For next time in that sort of situation, what you want to do is whistle your rex passive and to follow you. This will make the rex stop attacking and run after you at the same time. Bronto knockback is no joke, but once you get clear of it you could have saved the rex.

Ark is a harsh mistress, for sure.

I have a bronto story from my current SP "challenge" playthrough, in which I only allow myself to tame herbivores.

My base is on herb island and of course, brontos spawn there and wander all of the place, including on top of bases without proper fencing. So I had one stuck literally in the middle of my base, preventing me from accessing one of my buildings. I decided to try and be clever and kill the bronto from a distance since I've never seen them go after anything that isn't attacking them. So I run up the nearby hill, line up my first shot and...

So. Much. Regret.

Long story short, 2 more brontos joined in and by the end of the day my base was mostly wrecked and I lost all of my animals save my stego, whom I somehow managed to get out of the way in time. The knockback was what killed pretty much all of my animals, I only had small and medium sized herbs at the time and they just couldn't get close enough between the 3 brontos to actually do any damage.

It took awhile but I recovered and am doing better than ever, even have my own pair of high level battle brontos now. Also, lots of spikes and fencing to keep those pesky wild brontos out of my base.

ETA: Also, regarding spinos. If the water is too shallow for them to swim in it's too shallow for them to drown in, even with their face underwater. One of the many oddities of the Ark.

1 hour ago, Cymas said:

@N1NJAM005E

For next time in that sort of situation, what you want to do is whistle your rex passive and to follow you. This will make the rex stop attacking and run after you at the same time. Bronto knockback is no joke, but once you get clear of it you could have saved the rex.

Ark is a harsh mistress, for sure.

I have a bronto story from my current SP "challenge" playthrough, in which I only allow myself to tame herbivores.

My base is on herb island and of course, brontos spawn there and wander all of the place, including on top of bases without proper fencing. So I had one stuck literally in the middle of my base, preventing me from accessing one of my buildings. I decided to try and be clever and kill the bronto from a distance since I've never seen them go after anything that isn't attacking them. So I run up the nearby hill, line up my first shot and...

So. Much. Regret.

Long story short, 2 more brontos joined in and by the end of the day my base was mostly wrecked and I lost all of my animals save my stego, whom I somehow managed to get out of the way in time. The knockback was what killed pretty much all of my animals, I only had small and medium sized herbs at the time and they just couldn't get close enough between the 3 brontos to actually do any damage.

It took awhile but I recovered and am doing better than ever, even have my own pair of high level battle brontos now. Also, lots of spikes and fencing to keep those pesky wild brontos out of my base.

ETA: Also, regarding spinos. If the water is too shallow for them to swim in it's too shallow for them to drown in, even with their face underwater. One of the many oddities of the Ark.

@Cymas

I tried to do that but by then she was a goner. It happened that fast. Plus there was a most certain panic feeling when this was all going down. You wouldn't believe how easy a person forgets button commands when you are scrambling, :S

I like the challenge you put up on yourself, interesting angle.

I am intimidated by Brontos, I think they under estimated and maybe a little OP

Yeah, I know that panic feeling well. I've made some really dumb mistakes in tough situations just from not thinking clearly. Obviously I didn't think that bronto thing through entirely lol, but that's the kind of mistake you only make once. On the other hand I find really analyzing where I went wrong and how to fix it afterwards really helps me be a stronger player, so I don't mind the occasional catastrophic failure. Ark is definitely not forgiving of mistakes. :|

I'm definitely having fun with the challenge, it's very different from my usual playstyle and I'm learning to appreciate animals I didn't think much (or anything) of before. I've been playing Ark since the beginning so a lot of the new animals I'd totally glossed over just from not needing them at all. My favorite right now is the elk, really underappreciated mount.

Brontos are definitely OP, they're just so slow that they can be a pain to bring with you for any sort of distance. I've learned to kind of mitigate that problem somewhat, but at the end of the day if I need something to die I'd still rather either take a spino (on my main server) or lure whatever it is to my brontos (on SP) with a faster mount.

I see a lvl 8 giga while traveling in snow biome.

Yesss! I gathered supplies for it, and as I was shooting it with tranq arrows for a while, the lil jerk climbs up the cliff I thought was safe.

1 bite, and I'm dead. Then other bite, my best argy dies. RIP Rokka.

I was angry and tamed argies in a fix of rage.

Next day, I saw it again. I drowned that lil jerk for revenge.

My favorite Ark story was from way back around level 50-60.  I had tamed my first Rex and was feeling pretty invincible.  I had only explored the western forest area (before the swamp was added) and wanted to check out the volcano due to all the beacons that appeared there.  I took my Rex there but by the time i arrived it was starting to get dark.  I found obsidian for the first time and was busy harvesting all of it that i could when the temperature suddenly dropped.  Before long i was at 50% health and decided i needed to make a campfire to survive.  I managed to get the materials and was happily roasting some meat to restore my health when a raptor ambushed me.  My rex came to my defense but my campfire was destroyed in the melee.  He ran off into the dark and outside of my range to see his name so i had no idea where he was.  

It was still freezing and i had taken some damage so my situation was much worse than before.  I ran around a little by torchlight and made another fire but was ambushed again by a saber.  I managed to kill it, hunker down by my fire with my back to some rocks and survive until morning.  I found my rex far down the mountain with about 10% health left.  He had apparently had an adventure of his own b/c his inventory had a rex skull helmet skin in it and was full of prime meat.  I left the area as quickly as i could and was much better prepared the next time i came back.

Archived