How does map switching work on personal dedicated?

Gurrut

I run a dedicated Island server on my PC and I play with a couple friends. We were thinking of switching to Ragnarok for at least a little bit, but what stuff do we retain? I’m using ark server manager by the way. Do we keep our tribe? Can we upload Dino’s and items to withdraw in ragnarok? Will our stuff left behind still be exist and also will they be ours still or “locked” to us because it sees us as not the owners? Do I have to do anything besides switch the map in the manager and restart the server once our stuff is uploaded? 

Sorry for so many questions! I just want to make sure we don’t end up losing everything. 

I honestly don't have any real answers for this, but I have done some research on it and I get very conflicting answers between recent posts and older ones. I too am very curious as to how to make it work. I run a server on an xbox, which should have a similar method to doing it.

Sorry, I couldn't contribute anything meaningful, but I just wanted to say I was curious about this too. Given how Tekgrams and the bosses work it is a shame map switching private servers isn't more intuitive or, at least, explained better.

I would suggest to just make a second server, something that is really easy to do in ASM. You can then online Ragnarok and offline The Island as you see fit, this makes transferring things a lot easier. Nothing will be lost that way either, although im also not sure what happens if you simply change the map, but on default settings i could see that causing issues to character and tribe data.

If you upload your character on the Island and then download it on Ragnarok, you wont lose anything on the island and can just transfer back when ever you want. And if you go over the setting, you get to decided what you can and cannot upload/download on either server (aside from artifacts, boss trophy's (including Alpha T-Rex) and a few other exclusive items).

We did this on Nitrado dedicated for some time and its works, but it has tradeoffs and some weird unexpected behaviour.
I don't suggest to do this even for super occasional use.

You can just shutdown the server, switch map and restart.
It will work mostly as expected and will not destroy any data:

• All data is saved on both maps separately
    • If you shutdown ragnarok later its state is saved and the island data is loaded if you change map
  • Ragnarok will start as empty day 0 map for thet first time
  • You are able to download stuff that you uploaded if configured properly
  • Tribe is the same tribe with same people

However, you will ran into some weird things that may or may not affect the end result:

• Personal inventories are map spesific, and switching map can cause item duplication/loss (intended or not)
    • Or stuff that you leave on The Island on your character may not travel to Ragnarok
  • You will run into very long spawn timer (30min) if you are on PVP mode for the first time you spawn
    • Easy fix for this is to start as PVE and then after first spawn change to PVP again
  • Changes inside the tribe affects both maps and can be hard to predict the result on the other map
  • Using obelisk/drop/transmitter transferring can cause item/character loss or duplication

Anyway, backup all files before you do this since there are options to wipe saved data from existing tribes etc upon map switch.

This all seems like a good idea at first. You think you run ragnarok every now and then but very fast it will develop a situtation where you leave some stuff to the other map that you want in the other and causes you to restart the server more than you think of. Other players maybe have some unfinished work on Ragnarok but you need to breed on The Island so you don't know which map you should be running in that moment. People log in after night and find themselfs in Ragnarok when last night they were on The Island since you needed to do some stuff during noght on Ragnarok and forgot to start server again with The Island.

Also, when in Ragnarok, all the progress on the Island is paused (and vice-versa) and might be frustating for your breeding exprience. However, decay timers seems to be "running" even when server is shutdown and upon start again you might find some of your greenhouse walls destroyed.

Its best to have 2 separate instances running and linked together with cluster option for smooth experience. In that case you need to always transfer between the servers with obelisk/drop/transmitter and first time you need to create the tribe and accept all people etc.

6 hours ago, Gurrut said:

I run a dedicated Island server on my PC and I play with a couple friends. We were thinking of switching to Ragnarok for at least a little bit, but what stuff do we retain? I’m using ark server manager by the way. Do we keep our tribe? Can we upload Dino’s and items to withdraw in ragnarok? Will our stuff left behind still be exist and also will they be ours still or “locked” to us because it sees us as not the owners? Do I have to do anything besides switch the map in the manager and restart the server once our stuff is uploaded? 

Sorry for so many questions! I just want to make sure we don’t end up losing everything. 

Hello,

It should be easy to test. Upload a dodo and some items. Exit game load the new map make a temporary character and see if you can download.

Later on you need to consider if you really need to transfer your old character. If you do just upload your temp character or overwrite it on the new map.

Regards,

Ariana 

We run an xbox dedicated server, and we were able to upload dinos, as well as items.  However, with the way they "transfer" survivors now as opposed to upload, I'm not sure if you can move your survivors without access to a 2nd server.  Since an xbox can only run 1 map at a time, you don't have the option to switch to any servers on your cluster.  Not sure if there's a workaround as we didn't care that much, so we just started new characters when we changed maps.

Archived