hyaenodon question

GameFreak

how do you tame them? i have a 145 in a big taming pen i use for brontos and i cant tame it because while im sitting there following it the taming meter and count down clock disappear randomly no matter how close i am to it and wont come back until the game decides it should which is usually well after the taming percent has gone back down to zero.

They're apparently really, really hard to tame.  (I'd say buggy, but I'm sure someone will explain how it's working as intended.)  There's apparently a couple custom taming pens that can help.  One involves using two foundations, then building a slightly raised platform between them with flat roof pieces, leaving an open area one block wide.  Place fence foundations around the inside edge, and build walls at least one level high.  Drop the hyena in from the top with a bird, then move far enough away that it loses aggro on the bird.  Fly back, land, then crawl underneath and approach from the rear.  The fence foundations should block its line of sight, but allow you to pet it.

You'll probably want to have your hyena taming box inside a larger fenced area - when they're alone, they're terrified of everything, and lots of stuff will consider both of you to be edible.  If it gets freaked out, you'll probably end up having to start over.

I think on youtube that Phlinger Phoo has a video showing the taming box in action.  There's probably other versions, and other tricks to get it to work.  If you're in singleplayer or a private server, it might just be easier to install Immersive Taming and figure out how to tame them using the mechanics from that mod - their default taming method is... less than ideal.  In my opinion.

Archived