To Veteran Server Owners

What's the toughest part about running your own server.

I find that getting people to join isn't the hard part.

finding quality survivors willing to bring interesting and diverse game play to the server is the tough part.

at least for me it is.

Anywho, I was just chilling and building up my village when this question hit me. what are you guy's thoughts?

• Volunteer Moderator

Finding people that stay and don't get bored of ARK easily. I can never understand why people that get bored of ARK easily bother to join servers. I'm not talking about people that get bored of a server, but those that get bored of the game as a whole. That's the hardest part I feel, finding people that are prepared for the long haul. I'm running a PC server, but it would be the same regardless of platform.

Constant crashes and bugs with PC store hosting, not appearing on server list, ini commands that work on one system but not another. It is not smooth hosting yourself unless you rent nitrado which can be pricey for large servers and can start to lag with very high boosted rates and a lot people. Nitrado xbox hosting is probably the most stable right now and has all the features but you give up some performance and price compared to windows store PC hosting. 

People will get bored of the game, if you a constant influx of people to your server though it should remain healthy. Ark requires a lot of in-game knowledge and time commitment even on boosted servers, it is not exactly noob friendly. The minute you spawn in viking bay on Ragnorak, you can literally be eaten by a T-Rex/Raptor/Birds/Water Scorpions before you even had a chance to take 1 step lol.

Guest DJRone89

Public hosting is like a second job. Keeping the population going is the hardest part next to the actual server administration.

What annoyed me the most with people were blatant time wasters. Back when I hosted publicly, I’d list all of the general settings yet people would join, set up, and then complain about the rates. Why join in the first place?

Me and my admins would literally make bets on how long it would take for someone to tell me how crap my server was and leave indefinitely. The record was 20 seconds.

16 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

Public hosting is like a second job. Keeping the population going is the hardest part next to the actual server administration.

What annoyed me the most with people were blatant time wasters. Back when I hosted publicly, I’d list all of the general settings yet people would join, set up, and then complain about the rates. Why join in the first place?

Me and my admins would literally make bets on how long it would take for someone to tell me how crap my server was and leave indefinitely. The record was 20 seconds.

Lol. Unless your settings are god mode no one cares. I've played 3000 days on my server and no one has stayed longer than a minute. Mean while I have a tek base and a secondary base made of wood. I was worried I'd be raided as soon as I released to the public, made sure I had some kind of protection...now it doesn't Seem to matter Half my stuff doesn't even have defenses cause no one is going to attack. 

1. People constantly asking for admin access, starter packs, free stuff, spawn OP dinos/gear etc. Go play single player if you want this.

2. People constantly complaining about getting raided. It is 24-7 pvp with boosted rates. Go play a different server, I promise you it will be the same. It is called Ark survival for a reason.

3. People who complain about rates, I put my rates in the name of the server, why did you join in the first place?

4. Having to fix the dev's glitches/bugs all the time for people that keep reoccurring but never get patched, stuck dinos, dinos falling through the map, tribe issues, etc. 

5. Having to deal with cheaters, under-mappers, trolls, grievers, etc. 

6. Windows 10 PC hosting is buggy and lacking features compared to nitrado hosting for xbox or steam hosting for PC. 

Guest DJRone89
13 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

1. People constantly asking for admin access, starter packs, free stuff, spawn OP dinos/gear etc. Go play single player if you want this.

3. People who complain about rates, I put my rates in the name of the server, why did you join in the first place?

That’s an understatement lol

Yeah don't change the stats its your server, i would only change the stats if everyone voted for it but i wouldn't change the stats for 1 buthurt player. 

Another thing annoys me when someone reports a rule breaker and don't have proof and i say if its happened recently you can record 5 mins of what happened and say they don't know how to record -_-

I've had one person saying they have cancer and have 1 day to live and asks for admin.

Guest DJRone89
7 hours ago, ArtB3CcA said:

Yeah don't change the stats its your server, i would only change the stats if everyone voted for it but i wouldn't change the stats for 1 buthurt player. 

Another thing annoys me when someone reports a rule breaker and don't have proof and i say if its happened recently you can record 5 mins of what happened and say they don't know how to record -_-

I've had one person saying they have cancer and have 1 day to live and asks for admin.

Becca how are we? I see you’ve come along way since leaving my server and have experienced the annoyances of server hosting.

Not sure if you were there when a bunch of kids called me a load of names under the sun because I asked them why they chose to block herbivore island with spike walls? The server was PvE yet they claimed it was to stop people raiding them. You can’t make it up.

53 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

Becca how are we? I see you’ve come along way since leaving my server and have experienced the annoyances of server hosting.

Not sure if you were there when a bunch of kids called me a load of names under the sun because I asked them why they chose to block herbivore island with spike walls? The server was PvE yet they claimed it was to stop people raiding them. You can’t make it up.

I've stopped hosting servers, too much work. I was hosting a slightly boosted pve server but no one seems to be staying on the server for long. 

Archived