dinomanager

Hi all,

My Dino breeding spreadsheet started to get a bit over-full and hard to navigate, so I decided to build a website that held the same function - but also available for others to use for their own breeding/tracking purposes.

It's still being worked on, and I would be happy to hear any feedback, or ideas that would make it more useful for you.

Find it at https://dinomanager.com

- edit: for some reason link is not clickable after submitting, probably due to my low post count, so here is a few screenshots of the site.

Filtered to only show Pteras:

IUVSUF8.png

I'll be writing up some help texts in the coming days. It should be fairly self explanatory to use, but in summary it's a site to store the base stats of your dinos as you hatch/tame them. The highest value will be highlighted, so when you filter down to the species you want, you can easily see which dinos would be good breeding candidates. The goal is to have an entire row be highlighted. Eventually I'd like to add a tool to help calculate the base stats from a dino that has been leveled, but that can be a bit more tricky.

The points that are displayed when entering a dino are calculated based on some testing I've done, but since the tamed dino nerf I'm not 100% sure those values are correct - the giganot is most certainly wrong. Use them as a rough guide - excluding the giganot, the values should be within 1-2 points of what is displayed.

Planned updates, priority ordered:

(order represents importance to devs, not necessarily how soon it will be done)

• Mobile friendly!
  • Option of storing points or actual values
  • Option of updating a dino with post-tame stat increases (XP based stats) while still retaining base stats for breeding referencing
  • CSV input/output (or some other mass in/out)
  • Fertilized eggs - a placeholder for a baby dino that remembers parents, but not stats
  • Store dinosaur colours
  • Family tree tracking, a baby should link to it's parents if the parent exists
  • Having a 'notes' area for each account (handy for tribes sharing an account, or just leaving yourself some notes like 'breed baby x with baby y once mature'
  • Images to store with the dinos
  • Taming calculator similar to crumplecorn, with the ability to add to your dino's once completed

Updates:

• All tameable dinos added
  • Added some form validation to make it a bit easier to see what is needed
  • Added the ability to hide individiual rows (handy if you have many dinos of a certain species you want to hand pick from)

4 hours ago, Substitute said:

Very basic looking website..., to anyone that wants to try this service, I would not recommend putting any password you use for your account(s) on this.

I'd advise using a different password for every website, not just the ones that look a bit basic :). I understand the concern, and appreciate your response :).

The idea was to keep it as simple and light as possible. I think adding a sidenote that it's a fan created site might make more a bit more comfortable.

10 minutes ago, dinomanager said:

I'm actually in infosec as a career - I'd advise using a different password for every website, not just the ones that look a bit basic ;) . The idea was to keep it as simple and light as possible. I think adding a sidenote that it's a fan created site might make more a bit more comfortable.

Well, you have basic SQL injection protection...my malformed info returned me to a 403 page.

Although I feel like there is a better way to fix that...because I feel like I could just be typing something incorrectly.

sqli.png

Yes, I'm actually yet to disable error output too - the site only went up recently and is a side-side project, I just figured I'd give the community the ability to use something I found  handy :).

All passwords are securely stored as hashes, and I didn't want to post a link until https was available. I'd be happy to chat about site security in a less public forum if you want to give me a heads up on anything else I may have missed.

6 minutes ago, panteni87 said:

Once this works, it will be a de-hassler :P, i've got al my spreadsheets on paper now..this will make a world of a difference. 

That's totally the idea - I started on paper, then moved to excel when I needed to share it with a tribe member, then that started to get a bit messy with 50+ dinos.

It should be usable currently, the best method I've found is to filter to the species and then sort by gender, then you can pick based on that. Feel free to post here with any issues you run into using the site, and I'll do my best to fix them up as soon as I can :) 

I'd like to keep it vanilla (at least for the moment), however a workaround would be using a dino species that your tribe isn't likely to own many of, and add (dragon) after the name. The only drawback this could have is that the stat points will not be even close to being right during the dino entry.

If there is enough of a demand, I'll be happy to add them in :)

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Yes, there are plans to have the option to store either 'real' stats or 'points' stats. The thing holding us back from doing this at the moment is that we are not 100% sure on each dino's method of calculating each, as you may have noticed some dinos it calculates correctly and some it has weird numbers. For reference, any number in the 'points' area that is not whole (i.e, has decimal numbers) was calculated incorrectly, and should be regarded as 'maybe'. Most numbers that are decimal won't be far off what it should be, but some will be completely garbage.

This is probably what we will be trying to crack going forward, however we are currently getting hammered with work outside of DinoManager, so can't really give an ETA. I'll update the first post with current plans, similar to how ARK has their patchnotes on the Steam forum :)

Xpost for suggestion :)  Hey man, still loving the tool, if I can add a suggestion onto this, allow us to create a blank template (aka add a dino without the stats) so that we can pre-add the babies as they're growing and then fill in the stats once they're fully grown. This can also be hugely helpful for if we have multiple dinos with multiple parents and being able to create a template where we can put in their parents names before they hatch.

Suggestions:

• Ability to chose the color of our tames,breeds in case I want to breed an exclusive color combination.
  • Ability to add pictures of my collection.
  • Add more features for breeding.

Input/Output: 

• Adding a feature to download the stats as a spread sheet or csv, thanks.

Great place to store our dino stats thanks for making it web friendly. Keep up the good work.

3 hours ago, Juancho310 said:

Suggestions:

• Ability to chose the color of our tames,breeds in case I want to breed an exclusive color combination.
  • Ability to add pictures of my collection.
  • Add more features for breeding.

Input/Output: 

• Adding a feature to download the stats as a spread sheet or csv, thanks.

Great place to store our dino stats thanks for making it web friendly. Keep up the good work.

Excellent suggestions, colour picking would certainly be of use, and pictures would be nice, I'll add those suggestions to the 'todo' list :)

CSV in/out is certainly on the radar, don't know how I left it off the list...

On 2/17/2016 at 8:52 PM, Substitute said:

Very basic looking website..., to anyone that wants to try this service, I would not recommend putting any password you use for your account(s) on this.

Well,  generally you should never reuse password.  Never a good idea.  Does not matter who runs it.  Lots of major corporations are having trouble keeping account information secret.

Very nice web site.  I dont need something fancy.  This works very nice.

I have to say, my tribe just started using dinomanager.com the other day, and it has been a HUGE improvement for us and very beneficial in our breeding protocol. We are really appreciative! Keep up the great work!

Having said that, there is one main suggestion I have. Most of us are accessing your site from mobile devices. On the mobile version, you cannot see the highlighted green stats to indicate which dino is highest in whatever area. Is this something that can be fixed? Have to go to a laptop to see this currently. Everything else so far works great and we can't wait to see how this progresses. 

10 hours ago, Vreya said:

I have to say, my tribe just started using dinomanager.com the other day, and it has been a HUGE improvement for us and very beneficial in our breeding protocol. We are really appreciative! Keep up the great work!

Having said that, there is one main suggestion I have. Most of us are accessing your site from mobile devices. On the mobile version, you cannot see the highlighted green stats to indicate which dino is highest in whatever area. Is this something that can be fixed? Have to go to a laptop to see this currently. Everything else so far works great and we can't wait to see how this progresses. 

Glad to hear it!

YES, We did test on mobile devices, however it appears that something is broken for mobile now :(. This will be a high priority for us, having the site functional on small screens is an important element for us, and once we get a bit of time this is probably going to be first on the list.

• 3 months later...

Is this still supported?  I'm getting an error at the top of the page.

Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in /home/platehat/public_html/arktest/scripts/PHP/sql_connect.php on line 38

And this in the middle.

Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in /home/platehat/public_html/arktest/scripts/PHP/sql_connect.php on line 38

• 4 months later...

Hm, do people still need this? I might release my own version of this site, no ETA is given yet sorry, Im gonna do my best to accurately update missing functions. I still need to update the stat calculator correctly but here is a little preview of what to expect.
Flat and simple, I just kinda used the dino manager site functionality.

manager.jpg

Archived