So... the Tent repair bug...

Ganelon

It's been around since the beginning. It seems like a minor issue, as the tent is an early game benefit.

However... it has the effect of stopping a very intriguing mode of play on this map. The Nomad.

I really want to go 'baseless'... that isn't to say I want no home port... but I don't want to do the big build pen fortress.

One of the things I really love about the desert biome gameplay... it the idea of being a Bedouin-esque nomad. However, the tent is a consumable without a repair option. Thus... my options are to create a tent every few game days.... of wait till I can platform a Para(which is the later game goal. Clearly, there is repair code for the tent, but the repair function isn't meeting the condition for the end of the iteration. It's a simple fix. Probably less than 1 minute of debug and code tweak.(yes... I am a dev).

Yes... there are lots of bugs. By all means... prioritize them. But... little things like this, that are most definitely newb dev fixes... knocking some of those out will go a long way.

#1 The tent takes minimal amount resources to build which you will likely gather without thinking about it. I repair my own jeans - doesn't look as good as a new pair. People repair "tents" - doesn't look as good as a new tent......or tarp....

#2 I like idea of an aborigine or nomad, using a platform saddle Paracer in SE, but be very wary of desert - Deathworms. Plus of course wild wyverns, but that's what turrets are for.

3 minutes ago, FraggleRock said:

#1 The tent takes minimal amount resources to build which you will likely gather without thinking about it. I repair my own jeans - doesn't look as good as a new pair. People repair "tents" - doesn't look as good as a new tent......or tarp....

#2 I like idea of an aborigine or nomad, using a platform saddle Paracer in SE, but be very wary of desert - Deathworms. Plus of course wild wyverns, but that's what turrets are for.

1. I hear what you are saying... but in the beginning, those resources (50 hide, mostly) are much more scarce(I am talking multiplayer. where the jeraboas are fodder). So... gameplay becomes less organic, forcing the focus into a continual hide gathering system of behaviors... all the achieve one of the three foundational principles of survival: Shelter. I would argue that nomadic based shelter should be a first tier, even over thatch. But, thatch becomes more attractive from a resource point of view. Plus... it is a nasty bug and it has been around long past the 'workaround' mitigation. The bug clears out your inventory of all related resources. The requirement from the workaround makes tents far less attractive to pursue, which is a shame because the idea of a multi-play tribe with a moving 'city' is a beautiful thing.
  2. Yes... the desert is pretty nasty. But... that is all part of survival. Honestly, the worst enemy is the other players who just want to burn down everyone else. My first logoff ended in death, as someone trained an Argie just to aggro on me as I 'slept'(I logged in just long enough  to bite off a few levels). I have logged off in an argie free safe spawn area. I thought... maybe a rapter will nail me, but other than that I'm tucked behind rocks on a cliffside. But...120 argie kill message. Now, I'm not on my ear about character death... but just the thought that someone on the server thought it would be a fun time to drag argies around to find fellow players to grief... *shakes head*. 

Archived