Enough of the fog

Surraven

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but with -sm4 launch option i've got 60 stable fps (vsync ON)

http://i7.5cm.ru/i/oJKs.png

Know why?

Cause -sm4 neglects all the "epic" settings (except textures, view distance and anti-aliasing) and almost all those checkboxes like "distant field shadowing" etc.

With those launch options in video i can run it at 40+fps on my old gtx660 at work.

sorry for the late response.

Relating to the Fog:

WC please undue or fix the implementation of this fog business. I find myself forcing the gamma down to 1.5 in some very bright instances, and always use 2 instead of the default 2.2. Yes I have a quality 1440p monitor and calibrated.

The game is way too bright and washed out. The only parameter i use is -nomansky which I'm sure affects this, but it is impossible to play for more than 10 minutes without it.

WHAT THE DILLLLLLLLLO. I don't know how console playeres are coping.

You saying I need more than 16GB of RAM and 11VGB VRAM?

Fix that memory leak or the fog.

Please.

And thank you.

1 hour ago, dslick said:

Relating to the Fog:

WC please undue or fix the implementation of this fog business. I find myself forcing the gamma down to 1.5 in some very bright instances, and always use 2 instead of the default 2.2. Yes I have a quality 1440p monitor and calibrated.

The game is way too bright and washed out. The only parameter i use is -nomansky which I'm sure affects this, but it is impossible to play for more than 10 minutes without it.

WHAT THE DILLLLLLLLLO. I don't know how console playeres are coping.

You saying I need more than 16GB of RAM and 11VGB VRAM?

Fix that memory leak or the fog.

Please.

And thank you.

My XB1 setup is just fine. It's hard for me to grasp what everyone's deal is with bright fog as I just have normal fog/haze. Only time I would consider it bright is looking directly into the sky on certain clear days. My gamma and contrast settings are possibly lower than most ie: forest at night with no lights=blackout. Maybe this is something affecting monitors more than TVs also.. dunno.

19 hours ago, LameoveR said:

Dear Ulta, i've got those FPS with your settings, my base is behind me. 

http://i7.5cm.ru/i/CWF0.png

and those when i look at my "base" :)

http://i7.5cm.ru/i/GL69.png

on my gtx970.

You said you don't use -d3d10, but use -sm4?

For now yeah. I haven't played ARK since the most recent SM4 fog fix though, so just for kicks, I might put -d3d10 back in to see if I still get the white haze. Not now though. At this point I'm just taking a break and waiting for launch.

OK SO LISTEN UP!!! I was tinkering last night and managed to play without -nomansky, WITHOUT CRASHING ON PC! I was able to not crash for 6 hours. And yes no more fifty shades of blue and the blinding raptoring dilophosaur fog. I can play with bloom on now.

And boy oh boy the difference is NIGHT AND DAY in visual fidelity. Yes, it is equivalent to having SHADOWS OFF vs SHADOWS ON,  the atmosphere has improved underwater, ground level, and sky. This has made my ARK way more immersive.

First, my PC specs:

GTX 1080 Ti @ 2050 MHz, 68C load

i7 4790k @ 4.8GHz, 16GB RAM

Samsung Pro SSD, Windows 10

Second, the issue:

My Ark game crashes to desktop, giving me a memory low error due to running out of memory (memory leak), playing WITHOUT -nomansky option, within 10 minutes.

I play on 100% Epic, All Sliders Maxed, and quality boxes checked, even bloom and blur. The game uses approx 12-13GB of RAM on average during an extended period of play. 10% Low FPS ~ 30 FPS. Average FPS = 35. Typical FPS = 40.

HOW I FIXED IT

Ok so it had to do with my pagefile settings. I had a custom pagefile which capped my pagefile to 4GB. Simply changing it from a custom pagefile to "Let Windows Manage" fixed the crash, as now the game can eat my pagefile as much as it wants.

This is a temporary fix as the reported pagefile usage was about 15GB at peak (with the game only utilizing 60% of my RAM??) so there is definitely some sort of mem leak going on still.

I am wondering if the video driver crashed and needs to be updated crash is related to -nomansky at all, so will report back.

Hope this helps you all out there, and please confirm my findings if you can.

Thanks,

if you have 16gb ram set your pagefile to 16384mb manually

if you have 32gb ram set your pagefile to 32768mb manually

or just let windows decide for you.

It's OK to use so big pagefile.

i don't use "Auto pagefile" due to  read/writes on my SSD, i'd better have constant 16gb pagefile than let windows decide for me.

Agreed. 

I guess the latest UE4 Dev Kit added some new atmospheric features that can be pretty great, but I think they went a bit overboard with the fog feature.

Less intensity and less frequency would be good!

Ideally, they could add console commands or ini settings for weather control, but I'm sure people have been asking for this since Alpha launch.

Archived