Alternate Game Ideas

YUSHOETMI

I know with the release of the game coming up pretty soon new ideas towards the game would be redundant, and as much as I love this game i've always thought of a few ideas that could make it even better, well in my opinion.

Anyway

Server/Map redesign - 

Instead of the current cluster design of servers with the same 4 maps split between them, the only method of travel between them being transferring from obs or transmitters - Imagine a 10x10 grid(100 servers per "cluster") with each single grid being a map comparable in size to the island or center, each map individually designed containing their own biomes and selections of dinos and resources.  Each map could be linked by the borders to the map next to it, meaning you could essentially walk across the border and join the next server, or if they're connected by sea (some could be just totally sea maps with small islands) you could sail across into the next map.

A bonus to this would be that there would be a sense that it is a living world/continent rather than a set of static maps.  Tribes could settle down in areas knowing that they really only have to worry about threats from within the current map, unless a tribe is willing to hike all their dinos across multiple maps to wage war.  Certain resources could be monopolized giving way to a valid trading system, and in general it would just open the game up massively, giving a sense of community within the given 10x10 grid of maps.

Taming Overhaul - 

I've always thought the torpor method of taming to be somewhat brutal and ineffective, it just doesnt seem to make sense to knock out a dino using brute force and then feed it a specific food for it to wake up owing its allegiance to you.

I would love to see a sort of stamina based taming, instead of having to knock them out by force you would have to knock them out by tiring them out, instead of tranq darts you could fire spears at them attached to tension wires, once stuck into the dino and placed into the ground it would stop the dino from running away, after enough of these have been atatched to the dino and it has struggled to release itself eventually it will run out of stamina and drop to the floor unconscious, allowing a taming method like kibble feeding or any other idea to then take place.

When the dinos are down, they should still retain an element of danger, instead of simply placing the food in its inventory you should have to feed it by hand at its mouth, with the risk that it could take a bite out of you, make the taming more fun and dangerous.

Riding a Rex? - 

It just seems improbable to me that no matter how you would tame a rex or other apex predator of its size that it would just suddenly be as tame as a household dog, letting you ride it into battle or force it to do meat runs.

Personally I would do away with all saddles for anything above carno size, making them usable only with current commands such as follow or attack target, with the added threat that during combat or when running low on food they can turn against their captors and attack anybody, much like the giga on rage.  It would add tactical elements to the game and give a more survival aspect back which is lacking.

Make the Game More Primitive - 

How many of you could craft a shotgun, assault rifle, rpg or sniper rifle from items found around the world right now?  Given the game is set in a prehistoric setting I always found these weapons to be just too much, I'm not saying to do away with them but to simply make them not craftable but to be found perhaps, a one time use weapon of sorts, once they degrade and break they cannot be repaired and must be found again.

With the above map idea, a specific map could be a island in the middle of the sea with advanced technology hidden away in the caverns, the island itself not being able to be built upon and high level dinos guarding the caves.  Drops could be in there containing advanced weapons and armor that are uncraftable and again after certain uses become damaged and break. (This island could also be classed as a PvP area within PvE servers, giving a way for PvE players to settle disputes or have organised wars)

This could be offset with the addition of more melee weapons and ranged bows of varying degrees, blow darts, bola nets etc.

Explosives should also be removed as they are now, no c4 or rockets, its far too easy to take down a base with these explosives and makes attacking far easier than defending.  Maybe add craftable barrels  like in Prim+ that can be filled with oil and launched from a catapult which explode on contact, open to ideas on this one.

Building Changes

Realistically just add S+ into the base game, the option for many different material types and building designs is almost endless with the mod and would fit directly into the game.  Remove metal tier buildings and replace them with a mechanic where you can add metal reinforcement to existing structures such as stone.  Being able to build angled structures too without the use of building work arounds would be nice, surely its not that hard to add angled foundations.  Half walls would be nice too.

Other than that the building mechanics in the game already are quite nice and after getting used to them can make some amazing structures, seeing how building is my favorite thing to do in this game.

Breeding - 

I quite like the breeding in the game, I know alot hate it but in all honesty I think its quite fine the way it is, the only change I would like to see would be the inclusion of the parent dinos after the egg hatches to make breeding easier for smaller tribes.

Currently once the egg hatches the parents are no longer in the equation which doesn't make any sense with how nature works, it would be good to be able to add meat to the mothers inventory and they feed any babies related to them in the area when they need feeding, so once the egg has hatched you are then free to run around and do whatever you wish knowing the baby will be fed as and when it is needed.

Pick apart as you see fit or add to it, would be nice to see other peoples general ideas for making the game better/different or if any of those ideas above would be welcomed or hated if implemented.

• You took your "taming overhaul" from Dark And Light... Not very creative. In my opinion it would be nice that you have to KO a creature a couple of times or hurt it really bad to break its will or something, so it is afraid of you and accepts you as THE ALPHA. Only problem with the KO'ing-method is the wake-up time, so the creatures need less torpor or wake up faster.

• Making the game more primitive wouldn't make any sense at the current stage because endgame would be gone. And I don't like the idea of finding guns/explosives etc. Imagine this on a official pvp server controlled by a huge alpha tribe... And if you want to play primitive there's Primitive+.

• Building changes will become a thing when S+ is fully done, I think, because it is in the sponsored mod program.

14 minutes ago, DomiDarko said:

• You took your "taming overhaul" from Dark And Light... Not very creative. In my opinion it would be nice that you have to KO a creature a couple of times or hurt it really bad to break its will or something, so it is afraid of you and accepts you as THE ALPHA. Only problem with the KO'ing-method is the wake-up time, so the creatures need less torpor or wake up faster.

• Making the game more primitive wouldn't make any sense at the current stage because endgame would be gone. And I don't like the idea of finding guns/explosives etc. Imagine this on a official pvp server controlled by a huge alpha tribe... And if you want to play primitive there's Primitive+.

• Building changes will become a thing when S+ is fully done, I think, because it is in the sponsored mod program.

I haven't even looked into Dark and Light properly yet only a 5 minute play time that showcased some of the spells, so any resemblance to the taming in that game is purely coincidental, infact if you look back far enough to when I first signed upto the forums, I suggested that method of taming way back then in a thread about taming at the time.

The end game would be to work towards those items, as I said the place where they could be would be an area unable to be built upon so nobody could monopolize the island, with the weapons as they are now its worse as it is with mega tribes than it would be in this scenario,

I tried Prim+ it was fun, it was just lacking the concept of the main game.

Archived