Morals, ethics and whatnot of using the Water Breeding Glitch

McCluskeyy

1 minute ago, Zederia said:

point: 9 other people to do your work FOR you while you "enjoy the game to its fullest" try doing it solo, please. Then tell me you can still "enjoy the game to its fullest" 

They have their own projects to be dealing with, plus tribe imprinting isn't on official not that I care to get 100% but like some bonus from my work. I do my breeds solo, doesn't take long to slam a few chunks of meat or berries in their mouth, do a task then come back and check on them, or even refill a trough. I spend less time caring for them than i do playing so it's not really an issue. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Yeah I don't have much time to play either, couple of hours a night if I'm lucky, rarely weekends too as I spend that time with my family. Doesn't mean I want to resort to cheating tho, or make it right. I also experience the full game on official too, how strange. 

Ah you've got help. Very nice for you man. I play solo, so raising this many dinos and getting to do other stuff would be impossible otherwise. I sure enjoy water breeding. I put a lot of thought, time, and resources into my pen and location, and it's really nice to reap the perfectly legitimate rewards of that effort =)

1 minute ago, Zederia said:

So you say they don't. That you KNOW about. I used to sneak into friend's bases and make sure food was kept up for them. and I do it for tribe members too. Just because they don't say they do it, doesn't mean they don't.

Trust me I know these guys. I went on holiday 2 week back and came back to all my breeds I'd left (miscalculated the time due to stressing about the holiday) dead. One was a giga that was 95% complete prior to me leaving and had enough meat to last a month more, I asked them was it the bug and they laughed and said they forgot to check on them/couldn't be bothered.  They're idiots like that but I should have expected it. 

Again I'll ask tho how is the water breeding legit like you say it is?

4 minutes ago, TheKringle said:

Ah you've got help. Very nice for you man. I play solo, so raising this many dinos and getting to do other stuff would be impossible otherwise. I sure enjoy water breeding. I put a lot of thought, time, and resources into my pen and location, and it's really nice to reap the perfectly legitimate rewards of that effort =)

Same question for you too then, how is it legit? Please explain that without using a method that includes an exploit like decreasing eating timers :) protip, you can't. 

Just now, Zederia said:

THE DEVS ARE USING IT

That doesn't make it legit xD even the devs have said it's an exploit which automatically makes it nowhere near legit. 

Oh btw your response earlier about the person who plays on the same server as them, forgot to mention, I haven't linked my steam or Xbox account to my forum profile so it doesn't update anything, like to keep some things to myself. Just sayin. 

3 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

That doesn't make it legit xD even the devs have said it's an exploit which automatically makes it nowhere near legit. 

Oh btw your response earlier about the person who plays on the same server as them, forgot to mention, I haven't linked my steam or Xbox account to my forum profile so it doesn't update anything, like to keep some things to myself. Just sayin. 

They're using an exploit? Gee.. pot calls kettle black..

Still doesn't change that the test servers have an NDA. and they have IP logs.

8 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Same question for you too then, how is it legit? Please explain that without using a method that includes an exploit like decreasing eating timers :) protip, you can't. 

I'm wondering what makes it illegitimate? The devs haven't hot-fixed this in well over a year and clearly acknowledge that the current baby consumption system is flawed, so they allow this probably not (but who knows for sure) originally intended mechanic to stay until they revamp the entire breeding system. There's nothing devious or un-counterable about it. It's a sandbox game, and creative use of game mechanics, as long as they don't negatively impact other players, are generally looked upon as cool and creative.

2 minutes ago, Zederia said:

They're using an exploit? Gee.. pot calls kettle black..

Still doesn't change that the test servers have an NDA. and they have IP logs.

I have seen test servers open to the public on steam numerous times for a short while. Wouldn't need an nda to join at that time. Could be one that's left open. Besides who's going to tell a Dev what they're doing wrong? Remember they lost dinos to it themselves. Would stand to reason if they was abusing the mechanic for laziness purposes they would have avoided that right?

3 minutes ago, TheKringle said:

I'm wondering what makes it illegitimate? The devs haven't hot-fixed this in well over a year and clearly acknowledge that the current baby consumption system is flawed, so they allow this probably not (but who knows for sure) originally intended mechanic to stay until they revamp the entire breeding system. There's nothing devious or un-counterable about it.

How about multiple mods claiming it's an exploit? Or how about devs themselves saying it's an exploit in the past. That alone stands to reason it is an illegitimate method of breeding. Over a year? Think your overshooting the mark there, this hasn't been an issue for over a year.  The food bug is less than 6month old in itself, stating the "work around" is older would again siginify it's an unintentional exploit. 

1 minute ago, YUSHOETMI said:

1: I have seen test servers open to the public on steam numerous times for a short while. Wouldn't need an nda to join at that time. Could be one that's left open. Besides who's going to tell a Dev what they're doing wrong?

2: How about multiple mods claiming it's an exploit? Or how about devs themselves saying it's an exploit in the past.

3: this hasn't been an issue for over a year.  The food bug is less than 6month old in itself, stating the "work around" is older would again siginify it's an unintentional exploit. 

1: Not these servers. Wildcard makes you sign an NDA to play on the beta servers

2: I care not at all what Mods say, they don't represent wildcard devs.

3: I know of a game which is an MMO, that had a bug in from alpha, it became a problem 4 years later, but was only patched 6 months after it became a problem. It's not a significant point of saying how "it's been around longer so it's a cheat"

12 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

How about multiple mods claiming it's an exploit? Or how about devs themselves saying it's an exploit in the past. That alone stands to reason it is an illegitimate method of breeding. Over a year? Think your overshooting the mark there, this hasn't been an issue for over a year.  The food bug is less than 6month old in itself, stating the "work around" is older would again siginify it's an unintentional exploit. 

I've yet to see a dev say that players shouldn't put their babies in the water, or that doing so can compromise your account. I'd be happy to look at whatever posts from them that you have, that you think state this though.

I'm not talking about the food bug, i'm talking about baby food consumption while breeding. The devs have acknowledged that the breeding system will be revamped, and that it shouldn't just be a system of "throw 10,000 raw meat at this baby". I will admit that's just recall and that I don't have a source for it though. Thus, the lack of dev criticism and response to breeding at large appears to give water breeding at least passive approval in my book. But it's cool if you don't feel that way and want to avoid the method for your own reasons.

^ Doesn't seem like it's a major concern to the devs. Keep on keeping on friends =)

11 minutes ago, Zederia said:

1: Not these servers. Wildcard makes you sign an NDA to play on the beta servers

2: I care not at all what Mods say, they don't represent wildcard devs.

3: I know of a game which is an MMO, that had a bug in from alpha, it became a problem 4 years later, but was only patched 6 months after it became a problem. It's not a significant point of saying how "it's been around longer so it's a cheat"

Funny how the devs have stated in the past it's also an exploit that needs fixing. 

10 minutes ago, TheKringle said:

I've yet to see a dev say that players shouldn't put their babies in the water, or that doing so can compromise your account. I'd be happy to look at whatever posts from them that you have, that you think state this though.

I'm not talking about the food bug, i'm talking about baby food consumption while breeding. The devs have acknowledged that the breeding system will be revamped, and that it shouldn't just be a system of "throw 10,000 raw meat at this baby". I will admit that's just recall and that I don't have a source for it though. Thus, the lack of dev criticism and response to breeding at large appears to give water breeding at least passive approval in my book. But it's cool if you don't feel that way and want to avoid the method for your own reasons.

Look up prior posts regarding food bug or water breeding. Devs have clearly stated it as an exploit. I mean come on pal, land dinos perpetually floating in water without needing to rest or losing oxygen, whilst simultaneously stunting their food consumption, does that sound intended or legit to you? And the food bug is relevant as people only started to use the floating glitch after the food bug became apparent.

If the food consumption rate was meant to be reduced im sure they would have made more of an effort than "just throw them in the sea, that'll work" then dropping a patch that affects that much later. Has a single dev been on to apologise for killing possibly thousands of dinos floating in the water yet? No, not that I've checked but would hazard a guess, wouldn't that signify that they don't care that it's affected those who abused the glitch? Has there been a rollback to rectify this error as you see it? No.

nothing you can say will justify the act of using an exploit. Let alone encouraging and explaining how to do it to others inside this thread alone. GG

• Volunteer Moderator

i know i said i was done, but after doing some testing it looks like this is an issue with ORP that causes dinos to sink underwater unintentionally. I noticed this issue and I reported it to the devs, they're going to look into it. The sinking issue appears completely unrelated to the food consumption issue. They aren't starving, they're drowning right now. It looks like a bug only with ORP

3 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

i know i said i was done, but after doing some testing it looks like this is an issue with ORP that causes dinos to sink underwater unintentionally. I noticed this issue and I reported it to the devs, they're going to look into it. The sinking issue appears completely unrelated to the food consumption issue. They aren't starving, they're drowning right now. It looks like a bug only with ORP

Granted. Altho it's way past the point of why now, more the point of it still is an exploit to float them. 

Could tell it was ORP as only pve players are complaining about losing dinos. 

1 minute ago, ThzNutz said:

Unrelated, but would you mind bringing up indestructible rafts, aids dodos, and ORP cave blocking with offline tribes too? Currently every cave is blocked on the ORP cluster by tribes that never come online (except to refresh the timer), making them invulnerable and accessible by only the alpha tribes. 

7 minutes ago, Zederia said:

again.. you assume..

Well if it's only affecting orp and you don't play that mod then why are you here? 

Anyway it's about time I gave up on this now, it's been enjoyable but that stopped some time ago, if you wish to continue abusing an exploit then feel free too, but please don't cry when your dinos die because of that, or believe it's a legitimate way of playing. Just admit your'e cheating and aren't bothered by that.  Anything else other than constructive conversation will not be responded too. 

4 hours ago, ThzNutz said:

i know some have, i have been talking to them this morning. im not implying that you are flaming them or saying anything negative, only pointing out that they have also lost dinos, including a 230 melee giga that was almost done. i totally agree with your outlook on the matter, and would like to thank you for posting:)

I think the real point here is if the devs themselves know the game is flawed and use exploits to bypass the systems they themselves created and have control over, why not just lower that damn ridiculous food consumption as a bandaid fix till they can provide a better system for breeding? People wouldn't feel the need to water breed and the game would be better for it. After valentines there was a big demand from the community to make the breeding buffs permanent, and the most common argument is that that would break Arr because people would breed too much. Well water breeding lets people breed even more and the game was just fine. What's the reason now?

And to be fair, I bet everyone who knew about water breeding did it. Even the paladins and champions we see here playing the saints. You'd just be stupid not to. Makes breeding something you still have to put time into but not plan your whole raptoring life around. And it's a necessary evil. Be it because babies forget to eat sometimes or just because babies demand a huge amount of food and attention (and yes, real life babies demand a lot of food and attention but this is a game, not real life, is it?). And TBH I did water breeding and I hated it. Walk imprints are incredibly annoying if you don't have a big space for the babies. Babies could drown for a number of reasons. And still, I did it. Because even then it was a huge improvement over "vanilla" breeding.

Archived