Dinos due for a nerf

Lancelot

50 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

The theri, based on game mechanics only remember, has claws, for no real reason other than defence and collecting meat, sharp teeth despite its diet mainly consisting of berries and is not only aggressive but can hold its own against all carnos except the giga. 

It has the claws in-game because it had them in real life? We just don't know the 100% exact purpose because no live ones are left to observe. Bronto's long neck servers no function in-game, should it be removed too? No Theri skulls has ever been found so we can only guess what it ate or what kind of teeth (if any) it had, or how it even looked. ARK's Theri is WC's vision/version of it.

I'm not sure I understand the point in the first and last paragraph you wrote. Are you saying that your sister should be banned from buying meat or have her canine tooth removed?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Vilu said:

It has the claws in-game because it had them in real life? We just don't know the 100% exact purpose because no live ones are left to observe. Bronto's long neck servers no function in-game, should it be removed too? No Theri skulls has ever been found so we can only guess what it ate or what kind of teeth (if any) it had, or how it even looked. ARK's Theri is WC's vision/version of it.

I'm not sure I understand the point in the first and last paragraph you wrote. Are you saying that your sister should be banned from buying meat or have her canine tooth removed?

Think you missed the part where I said the theri in game is what WC believed it to be. If it harvests meat, berries has claws and sharp teeth then it's fair to say THEY envisioned it to be an omnivore but later changed it, I'm just saying no other herbivore in the game neither has carnivorous traits or is as aggressive as the theri. 

First paragraph is showing real life animals have those traits for a reason, the only reason the theri has them is for harvesting meat, why would it harvest meat or need them if it was a herbivore. In game theri that is not a real life one. Last paragraph was actually meant for a previous comment but I've been busy. If it's diet dictates it's diaetary category then somebody who doesn't eat meat is not considered an omnivore, despite all humans being so. Personally she needs a forcefeed button inbuilt into her but that's just personal belief. 

My argument has nothing to do with its diertery classification, it needs nerfing regardless, I haven't even used my giga, bronto, bear or wolf since taming one them as it out performs anything that harvests, flyers were rightly nerfed because they circumvented most dinos, the theri will eventually face the same fate. 

5 hours ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Think you missed the part where I said the theri in game is what WC believed it to be. If it harvests meat, berries has claws and sharp teeth then it's fair to say THEY envisioned it to be an omnivore but later changed it, I'm just saying no other herbivore in the game neither has carnivorous traits or is as aggressive as the theri. 

First paragraph is showing real life animals have those traits for a reason, the only reason the theri has them is for harvesting meat, why would it harvest meat or need them if it was a herbivore. In game theri that is not a real life one. Last paragraph was actually meant for a previous comment but I've been busy. If it's diet dictates it's diaetary category then somebody who doesn't eat meat is not considered an omnivore, despite all humans being so. Personally she needs a forcefeed button inbuilt into her but that's just personal belief. 

My argument has nothing to do with its diertery classification, it needs nerfing regardless, I haven't even used my giga, bronto, bear or wolf since taming one them as it out performs anything that harvests, flyers were rightly nerfed because they circumvented most dinos, the theri will eventually face the same fate. 

Biologically, your sister is an omnivore despite her personal preferences.  Nature equipped her physiology and digestive process to operate efficiently on plants, meat, or a balanced diet of all of the above.  By the same token nature couldn't care less what her personal preferences are, nor does science.  All humans are classified as omnivores, their actual choices made on a day to day basis have nothing to do with it.

Many herbivores are aggressive and deadly foes.  The Water Buffalo is well known for its aggression, as is the Rhino, the elephant, the Boar and particularly the Hippo (which is by far the most dangerous animal in Africa, including carnivores such as the Lion or the Crocodile).  In all of the cases above, when confronted by a threat running away is often NOT the first response.  Don't make the mistake of assuming tamed behavior is anything like their behavior in the wild.

Consider that just because an animal doesn't use the tools nature gave it to do certain tasks, that certainly doesn't mean they can't be trained to use them in a different fashion.  Dog's don't naturally smell out bombs or drugs, Horses aren't naturally inclined to give a ride to other creatures, Elephants can be trained to gather logs, monkeys to type/sign, the list of animals trained by man to perform tasks they wouldn't do in nature goes on and on.  In this (rather fanciful) case, the Theri has simply been trained to uses it's claws to harvest a variety of materials that aren't necessarily part of it's diet, including meat (which it has no natural interest in).

13 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

Biologically, your sister is an omnivore despite her personal preferences.  Nature equipped her physiology and digestive process to operate efficiently on plants, meat, or a balanced diet of all of the above.  By the same token nature couldn't care less what her personal preferences are, nor does science.  All humans are classified as omnivores, their actual choices made on a day to day basis have nothing to do with it.

Many herbivores are aggressive and deadly foes.  The Water Buffalo is well known for its aggression, as is the Rhino, the elephant, the Boar and particularly the Hippo (which is by far the most dangerous animal in Africa, including carnivores such as the Lion or the Crocodile).  In all of the cases above, when confronted by a threat running away is often NOT the first response.  Don't make the mistake of assuming tamed behavior is anything like their behavior in the wild.

Consider that just because an animal doesn't use the tools nature gave it to do certain tasks, that certainly doesn't mean they can't be trained to use them in a different fashion.  Dog's don't naturally smell out bombs or drugs, Horses aren't naturally inclined to give a ride to other creatures, Elephants can be trained to gather logs, monkeys to type/sign, the list of animals trained by man to perform tasks they wouldn't do in nature goes on and on.  In this (rather fanciful) case, the Theri has simply been trained to uses it's claws to harvest a variety of materials that aren't necessarily part of it's diet, including meat (which it has no natural interest in).

I don't disagree with you, it's my personal belief that the Theri should be an omnivore, nothing more.  The stature of it, its look, its nature, all of which is a result of the design WC gave it and probably has no reflection upon its real life counterpart, just makes it feel like an omnivore.  Nothing about it screams "hey look at me i'm a herbivore", all of the creatures you listed before I have witnessed in the wild and whilst from a distance and knowing their dangers all I could do was think "I wanna stoke them", if I seen a theri in real life I would be inclined to run no matter its distance to me.

As I said my comment about my sister was in relation to an earlier post stating that a creatures dietary category depends on their actual diet.

Archived