Wipe this awful update!

IamCake072

16 hours ago, wallaby said:

yup same on my server man, allot of my mates bailed on the game :( the server pop halved  and a bunch of noobs moved in:Jerbmad: friggn sucks

No way man I don't believe you at all. Volcano said no one is leaving so he must know more than people that actually pay attention to what's going on. I mean he/she wants to work pr for wc so no bias coming from he/she.  Lmao

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

And yet the actual server numbers don't reflect that trend at all.

Do you actually read the whole comment or just cherry pick what you want to believe?  Players i know leave and new people join server that now has low numbers.  It evens back out but now the server I had lots of trading partners with is full of people yelling for help cause they starving or asking for dinos cause they are new.  Reading comprehension is a valuable asset. 

2 minutes ago, gigamonster said:

Do you actually read the whole comment or just cherry pick what you want to believe?  Players i know leave and new people join server that now has low numbers.  It evens back out but now the server I had lots of trading partners with is full of people yelling for help cause they starving or asking for dinos cause they are new.  Reading comprehension is a valuable asset. 

Yes, I read your comment.  I trust you read mine.  

12 hours ago, Bruvas78 said:

I'm adapting to them. Just have to accept that you cant fly 5000 weight worth of metal the entire map over the heads of gigas and rexes now. Buck up the land game. It's actually kinda fun....

Listen son, my ground game is more than good enough for this game. I have gigas(tamed and raised) and a horde of mut rexs breaking 300 and hopefully 350 soon.  The issue is I liked my argy or wyvern so I could go explore a little when I got tired of destroying any dino around my base.  Now they are so slow they are a joke and they shouldn't be. A flying dino that if I don't fly high can now be chased down by most anything else. I will say that my 150 perfect tamed argys have 700 melee and 6k health so they kill most anything but that is dum too. They should be fragile not monsters.  I think they need too up damage from all carnivores so that any battle needs strategy. Wild gigas on other hand need nerfed and titans are stupid

• Volunteer Moderator
19 hours ago, gigamonster said:

How is the game balanced now? Considering a flying animal is now the slowest thing in the game.

I fail to see how capping off the speed makes a flyer imbalanced considering the rest of the package that came with it. See a giga that wants to eat you? Go up. Turrets shooting at you? Go up. There's a canyon or wall in front of you? Go up. Want to see a good amount of where supply drops currently are? Go up. From a travel aspect there was literally no cons to offset their pros, which made them absolutely nowhere near the word balanced.

3 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

I fail to see how capping off the speed makes a flyer imbalanced considering the rest of the package that came with it. See a giga that wants to eat you? Go up. Turrets shooting at you? Go up. There's a canyon or wall in front of you? Go up. Want to see a good amount of where supply drops currently are? Go up. From a travel aspect there was literally no cons to offset their pros, which made them absolutely nowhere near the word balanced.

Do you ride a parasaur or ankylo to go anywhere in the game? Well maybe you do but I like my rides to be fast and strong not slow and pitiful. If something is unbalanced use your brain to find ways around but don't take away something because it was to hard to deal with. 

Just now, gigamonster said:

I was meaning regulars leaving the servers being replaced with new players asking for food. Also my server number is way down compared to before.  

I understand giga.  Consider this, whenever there is a big balance pass (in this game or in any other) many people that have become entrenched in a particular play style either threaten to leave... or more rarely actually do leave for a period of time.

For some, they were considering it anyway and just needed the mental justification to make the change.  For others it's because they have a hard time dealing with adapting to the new meta.  Neither observation is a criticism, it's just a function of human nature.

The good news is that most of them end up coming back, if they truly enjoyed the game to begin with... while truly good and adaptable players never leave in the first place.  Especially if they know that the game is still under development and just starting to go through it's balancing phase.

The even better news is, if the influx of new players is that large (which would seem to be the case) while that may be personally annoying to you for a bit, if you think about it the situations does offer you some significant advantages as well.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, gigamonster said:

Do you ride a parasaur or ankylo to go anywhere in the game? Well maybe you do but I like my rides to be fast and strong not slow and pitiful. If something is unbalanced use your brain to find ways around but don't take away something because it was to hard to deal with. 

Just because you like your rides fast and strong doesn't mean that the act of balancing items should have variables taken off the table just to appease your tastes.

Well when the developers revenue drops and disdain spreads to forums they can't control I'm sure they will be wondering if in fact the flier nerf is excessive.

Player reviews and recommendations attract players bad reviews will effect new purchases of the gams.

Disdain spreads like wildfire and will effect revenue as prospective plays are told not to bother by former plays.

With no DLC packs or perks to purchase in game initial take ups of the game are the only revenue.

Regardless of what the developers see as balancing it's going to effect the bottom line.

In essence it's not balancing anything as the change has been to dramatic and excessive.  

It has extensively disinfransised PS and Xbox players who can't mod and it is this market specifically which will take a huge hit in revenue.

Not my company or my revenue but any marketing statergist or business analyst would be going oh raptor! 

10 hours ago, szabiferi said:

Come back couple weeks later, and tell me you are still enjoying the land dino convoy for a simple metal run.

Otherwise I'm yet to a see a land dino conwoy what breaks through a wild giga (that was what you mentioned)

/sigh.

The whole point of them encouraging people to use land dinos is to create interaction between players.  This wasn't happening previously with quetzals.  If you were out mining somewhere and you came across other players.... well you just turned your 15K health 350% movement speed quetzal around and flew home.  No-one got out and did anything.  They just sent out quetzals and built un-raidable monoliths at their little patch of dirt.  Hell, 90% of tames could then be done at the base as well................

Go back to 2015 and the original intent of the Island map was that you'd build on the outskirts of the island because it was safe and you'd venture inland to get good dinos and resources.  That has been somewhat lost with flyers, but also the introduction of the snow biome which gave people oil and pearls without needing to leave the coast, or go into the water.  The areas where the swamps are now were particularly dangerous.  honestly I preferred the map back then.  They were river deltas with herds of brontos and big predators ranging around everywhere.  Now it's just full of sarcos and leeches.........

I kind of think that they're now trying to bring that back.  Make flyers a niche dinosaur rather than just your ONLY dinosaurs and make the volcano somewhere that is resource rich that can't be claimed.

If they were going to go back to scratch I'd ramp it up a bit.  I'd make the middle 3rd of the map unbuildable, make more untameable threats that roam around it so that every time you trek inland it's dangerous, but ultimately the rewards make it worth it.

52 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Just because you like your rides fast and strong doesn't mean that the act of balancing items should have variables taken off the table just to appease your tastes.

Quit saying balancing because that's not what it is.  The developers "penalized" paying customers when they could have gone a different route. Always add aspects to the game to balance instead of penalize. Nobody will complain that you added to the game but when you take away it's always going to be bad. 

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, gigamonster said:

Always add aspects to the game to balance instead of penalize.

That's literally not how game development works. Even Blizzard (the golden goose that everyone loves to tout) games do nerfs (just read WoW or Overwatch patch notes) instead of just buffing everything.

36 minutes ago, Smash said:

/sigh.

The whole point of them encouraging people to use land dinos is to create interaction between players.  This wasn't happening previously with quetzals.  If you were out mining somewhere and you came across other players.... well you just turned your 15K health 350% movement speed quetzal around and flew home.  No-one got out and did anything.  They just sent out quetzals and built un-raidable monoliths at their little patch of dirt.  Hell, 90% of tames could then be done at the base as well................

Go back to 2015 and the original intent of the Island map was that you'd build on the outskirts of the island because it was safe and you'd venture inland to get good dinos and resources.  That has been somewhat lost with flyers, but also the introduction of the snow biome which gave people oil and pearls without needing to leave the coast, or go into the water.  The areas where the swamps are now were particularly dangerous.  honestly I preferred the map back then.  They were river deltas with herds of brontos and big predators ranging around everywhere.  Now it's just full of sarcos and leeches.........

I kind of think that they're now trying to bring that back.  Make flyers a niche dinosaur rather than just your ONLY dinosaurs and make the volcano somewhere that is resource rich that can't be claimed.

If they were going to go back to scratch I'd ramp it up a bit.  I'd make the middle 3rd of the map unbuildable, make more untameable threats that roam around it so that every time you trek inland it's dangerous, but ultimately the rewards make it worth it.

A little sense here but it applys mostly to pvp.  I don't know anybody who only had fliers as dinos and if they did who are you to dictate how they play. I like my land dinos and that's what I mostly use so can't say I need to change my gameplay. If anything needs done is to buff all carnivores to where it's not a sure thing to mess with a group of them. Make a lvl 100 rex able to hang with same lvl tamed or raised rex.  Take melee off of pteras cause they shouldn't be able to attack or carry extra people. Argys should attack but not kill rexs or anything dangerous. Right now I can kill a group of rexs or mammoths and that's dumb. Quetz shouldnt carry multiple rexs or move heavy weight. If your gonna balance make it believable because fliers should at least have speed. 

14 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

That's literally not how game development works. Even Blizzard (the golden goose that everyone loves to tout) games do nerfs (just read WoW or Overwatch patch notes) instead of just buffing everything.

Well it should And that's why I don't purchase any if their products. Eventually with social media you will learn that taking away from a purchased customer product it will come back to haunt you. Case in point is how many people will not play or buy your sequel because they can't trust you will try to dictate how they play or penalize you when a few players cant handle a certain aspect of the game.

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

Appease my tastes? Do you tame lvl 10 rexs? I bet the last parasaur you tamed you didn't even check the lvl. Man this stego flies lol

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, gigamonster said:

Well it should And that's why I don't purchase any if their products.

Even if you don't purchase their products various others make use of that system instead of this "just add on to everything" idea you're touting. Valve does it, Squaresoft does it, EA does it, Bioware does it, etc. etc.

12 minutes ago, gigamonster said:

Ciabattaroll, do you honestly know why they nerfed?  Was it customers complaining they should nerf? What about all the people saying you shouldn't nerf? Honesty please. 

They nerfed flyers because in both a pvp and pve aspect, flyers went past the vision of the developers. Unfortunately fixing this situation was put on hold for a long time.

I read that article and it can't be more wrong.  It says that because of fliers being overpowered 80% of map was being trivialized.  How about now most people won't see 90% of map because who's going to go run around a map on a rex for hours exploring? I'm not because I work and have limited time and can't just turn off the game when I'm on otherside of redwoods and can't get to my base in next 30 mins because I keep blue screening.

When I first started this game I didn't explore the map until I had a flier because what's the use. On the ground can't see much of anything most of time but on an argy or ptera it was cool as hell to see everything.  Now it's like I'm back at the beginning of the game on exploring because I'm not wasting time running to swamp to hunt for certain items or over to snow for something else. I'll just stay at base and breed rexs and venture out around base to hunt for meat once and a while. I'm sure that's what the developers had in mind too. 

The reason you can't defend against this nerf is because you are wrong. The server I play on and know most everyone that is somebody on there is not happy. I logged on right after just to see what chat was gonna be like and it was comical. My ps app was blowing up with players wondering how bad nerf was and I tried to soften blow but didn't work.  Say what you want but the truth prevails. Fliers should fly. 

BTW you need to fire whoever changed Rex's sounds. I always thought their footsteps were cool but I can't tell what that noise is suppose to be. Neither can anyone on server. Argys lvl up sound is terrible too.  UI is to futuristic for a dino game so that does not mesh good.  I do love the sorting in inventory. 

21 minutes ago, gigamonster said:

UI is to futuristic for a dino game so that does not mesh good.

Keep in mind that your inventory is generated by your implant, that mysterious high tek piece of jewelry in your arm that nobody gives a second thought to any more.  From what I understand you'll get some insight into what that's all about very, very soon.  But to the point, your inventory, stats, and all the rest are visible to you because of a high tek piece of gear you've had since the beginning.  I suspect that's why they went with the color scheme they chose, as blue seems to be representative of the advanced technology in the game.

On a side note I missed until now, the methodology of buffing everything in an attempt to achieve balance leads to a phenomenon you've probably heard of (and not in a good way) called power creep.  Power creep has been the death sentence of many a game that was at one time considered good or challenging, but ended up being an arms race with whoever has the last piece of DLC or high tier addition to the game automatically being the winner.

Believe me my friend, that's the last path you want your favorite game (whatever it may be) to go down. 

In the end, good games get progressively harder and more challenging... they keep you interested by keeping you thinking about how you are going to overcome the obstacles aligned against you.  The new meta for ARK hasn't emerged fully yet, but it is starting to.  Just keep in mind that I have little doubt we'll see even more changes (likely both buff and nerfs) before this development phase is complete.  

You sound like an experienced gamer, I have no doubt you'll do fine.

11 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Keep in mind that your inventory is generated by your implant, that mysterious high tek piece of jewelry in your arm that nobody gives a second thought to any more.  From what I understand you'll get some insight into what that's all about very, very soon.  But to the point, your inventory, stats, and all the rest are visible to you because of a high tek piece of gear you've had since the beginning.  I suspect that's why they went with the color scheme they chose, as blue seems to be representative of the advanced technology in the game.

On a side note I missed until now, the methodology of buffing everything in an attempt to achieve balance leads to a phenomenon you've probably heard of (and not in a good way) called power creep.  Power creep has been the death sentence of many a game that was at one time considered good or challenging, but ended up being an arms race with whoever has the last piece of DLC or high tier addition to the game automatically being the winner.

Believe me my friend, that's the last path you want your favorite game (whatever it may be) to go down. 

In the end, good games get progressively harder and more challenging... they keep you interested by keeping you thinking about how you are going to overcome the obstacles aligned against you.  The new meta for ARK hasn't emerged fully yet, but it is starting to.  Just keep in mind that I have little doubt we'll see even more changes (likely both buff and nerfs) before this development phase is complete.  

You sound like an experienced gamer, I have no doubt you'll do fine.

Power creep doesn't exist in pve and every game is an arms race last time I checked. Many games may have been ruined by power creep in your opinion but every game that have weapons, items etc get power taken away will fail. Hey let's make every vehicle in gta only go the speed limit cause you can get around map too fast and most of its being trivialized. See how long that lasts

BTW get rid of Tek gear cause it's overpowered and will cause power creep.  Gigas now have 800 health in the wild cause 80k causes power creep.

13 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

In the end, good games get progressively harder and more challenging... they keep you interested by keeping you thinking about how you are going to overcome the obstacles aligned against you. 

I agree but the flyer nerf was put into effect because game was too hard for some people in pvp.  Why couldn't they use their brain to figure out how to neutralize fliers instead of changing game to make it easier. Like I said the nerf cannot be defended because it was wrong course of action. They could have nerfed in different ways and received much less backlash but the devs seem hard headed and need to feel all powerful. I will continue to play the game in a way unlike they see fit just for spite. 

Archived