Choosing Between PVE and PVP

SilverSpino

I recently started ARK just over 2 weeks ago and joined an Official PvE server and absolutely love it. The community are friendly and helpful and we have managed to find a cliff to build our base on even though I can see where many people struggle to find a place to set a base as there are so many already on the server. This however is not an issue, players are always leaving and bases are being torn down weekly so there will always be an opportunity to relocate to a better or bigger area.

I like the PvE side of the game, there are enough dangers already without the constant grief of logging on and finding everything gone... perhaps they should allow a window of protection of players offline i.e after 10 mins of logging off the server, all walls etc of a base are protected from Players or Dinos controlled by players. To stop people from logging off when being attacked, the walls etc will be vulnerable from 10 mins when a player logs off so this stops players logging off from a fight if they are losing.

Anyway, PvP has its draws but its not for me as I like to build and progress in games. I dont mind little losses here and there but not the devastating ones I keep hearing about.

Good luck in making your choice.

As you can see from the responses in this thread there are a wide variety of personalities and play-styles in the world of ark. I personally play on all the server types, depending on the mood. I'd say upwards of 50% of my time is spent on PvE servers 25% on scorched PvE and the rest on another island PvP.

In general what I've found is there is more to do on a PvE server. Most of the time spent on my PvP toon is re collecting and rebuilding very low level basic gear and taming low lvl dinos. Unless you are part of a hardcore tribe with half a dozen players progressing on a PvP server is out of the question. 

This kill or be killed basic primal play is enjoyable for a few hours a day but if you really want to experience all ark has to offer start a PvE toon as well. Reaching raid level, breeding for mutation, building a nice base and collecting all asc bps are all much easier in a carebear environment. Not to mention underwater bases and water dino breeding are coming in the future.

Basically my advice is to have toons on both server types so when u want to grind up against the wall with primitive bow and stone arrows jump on your pvp toon and for the rest do it on pve.

I play on official PvP, started soon after launch, now 3.3k hours all official pvp.

Played the first 1/2 year completly solo. After that i had 2 Gigas, 8 Quetz, tons of other dinos and a full metal base. I did this by using diplomacy and trading. Helping out new players with stuff and getting resources in return. Survival was based on the fact that i was no threat to the (ever changing) alphas on the server. I was always very active in global chat and actively helping new players. Later i merged with other tribes, now i play in a bigger tribe still on the same server.

It seems to me that the PvE People think that a PvP server is a constant fight. That is very untrue, just because you CAN hit your neighbour on the head does not mean you do it every day. In the same way PvE does not prevent people from griefing you, they just use other means. I prefer PvP because i can shoot a griefer into the face with a rocket launcher if needed ...

Server Transfer changed the PVP game completly. Now its not tribe vs tribe anymore its server vs. server. Invaders will make you form alliances on your server really quick. And if you help your neighbour fend of that invasion army you are bff for sure.

Communication and Diplomancy are key here. If you stay silent and build hidden in the woods, you will get wiped when you are found. If you talk to the Alpha tribe before even setting up your chances of staying untouched are much higher...

13 minutes ago, sal said:

I play on official PvP, started soon after launch, now 3.3k hours all official pvp.

Played the first 1/2 year completly solo. After that i had 2 Gigas, 8 Quetz, tons of other dinos and a full metal base. I did this by using diplomacy and trading. Helping out new players with stuff and getting resources in return. Survival was based on the fact that i was no threat to the (ever changing) alphas on the server. I was always very active in global chat and actively helping new players. Later i merged with other tribes, now i play in a bigger tribe still on the same server.

It seems to me that the PvE People think that a PvP server is a constant fight. That is very untrue, just because you CAN hit your neighbour on the head does not mean you do it every day. In the same way PvE does not prevent people from griefing you, they just use other means. I prefer PvP because i can shoot a griefer into the face with a rocket launcher if needed ...

Server Transfer changed the PVP game completly. Now its not tribe vs tribe anymore its server vs. server. Invaders will make you form alliances on your server really quick. And if you help your neighbour fend of that invasion army you are bff for sure.

Communication and Diplomancy are key here. If you stay silent and build hidden in the woods, you will get wiped when you are found. If you talk to the Alpha tribe before even setting up your chances of staying untouched are much higher...

That's a great theory but I gave up playing on Official PvP servers because its always the same nonsense. Thatch hut destroyed by a tribe with level 280 quetz. Build a raft, raft gets constantly raided even though its at the edge of the world and inaccessible so every time I log on I'm dead. I always love to start my play sessions with a 30 minute 'build another raft to get to my old raft' set up.

Or the alpha tribe that said 'oh they didn't kill you dodos? we would have'.

Or the hey I'm parked on this island harvesting, here's some random guy just attacking me or trying to break into my raft. No communication, nothing. Just constantly trying to steal crap.

Where is your diplomacy coming into play? How are you trading in a game where if you show up to trade they can just kill you and take your stuff with zero retaliation because there is no possible way to catch up?

Everything about PvP on officials I've seen has nothing to do with skill or ability and everything to do with people being A holes because they can and it makes them feel special. 

the biggest decision is official or unofficial.

if you want real pvp play unofficial pvp

if you are a masochist and hate you life or if you like to play pvbase or if you like to be apart of a mega tribe where you practically only do what you are told, like having a job. play official pvp

if you just want to build and collect or experience the endgame by yourself or with some friends play official pve

if you want to do the above but lack the time to do it, play unofficial pve (there is a risk of the server going down after some time.

1 hour ago, sal said:

but everything changed when the fire (mega tribe) nation attacked...

2 hours ago, omnikevfka said:

because you still have a community on PvE it can still be fun, but after a certain point the PvE danger is null because of programming. the human threat is always the real one even on PvE ie in-siding or politics. PvP or bust nonetheless

I guess its purely on what you want in a game. I play with 3 friends and we all get on and do different stuff and sometime go and do tasks together. The server is friendly and there is a lot of chat but I dont interact a lot with them but its nice to see it active. 

PvE is as dangerous as you make it, go caving or try bosses and limit yourself and you ahve the same possibility of dieing, granted PvP has an extra layer of threat.

2 hours ago, Madadhalluidh said:

Everything about PvP on officials I've seen has nothing to do with skill or ability and everything to do with people being A holes because they can and it makes them feel special. 

You like me, sound like you like PVP, like base building, but hate starting over - so do I.

Join me on a different kind of PVP server. See my post on first page. It's only at 30 players now but I will up its capacity continually when needed.

11 minutes ago, Nunners said:

I wanna try pvp...but I have a hard enough time in pve atm.  Once I get the pve thing down, pvp will happen.  I just am not sure I can handle the constant need to retame animals.  I am sure choosing a custom server would help.

Try my server dude! Base wiping will not be tolerated (and is hard to do). Now, your person and your Dino's out and about in the world, that's fair game :)

Archived