Base under cliffs - question on what structures blocks spawns

Matteo2000

Base under cliffs - question on what structures blocks spawns

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice with stopping dinosaurs getting into our base and killing our tames. We are playing on a server where the damage and resistance of tamed dinos is nerfed (at 2.3x) so wild dinos can do a lot of damage.

We have a base in the SW Jungle in the centre and it's under a cliff. There is a tower and a pen surrounded by a high perimeter wall. At the moment wild dinos are getting in and I'm not sure if they're jumping off the cliff or spawning inside.

1. The first question is on how to stop dino spawning inside the base? I understand foundations do the trick but I'm wondering if walls on fences do the same? The best information I can find on this is from some testing done by Donthommo (see link below) which suggests that walls on fences do the same as foundations. However, we're using the "big wall" mod on steam and I have no idea if they do the same? I have posted on the workshop page but there's no reply yet.

2. The second question is how to stop wild dinosaurs dropping into the base from the cliff without affecting the metal rock spawns up there? I imagine normal walls would stop spawns but the Donthommo testing (see below) suggests that spike walls are what we need. However, spike damage is switched on (on our server) so I'm sure we'd need metal spike walls if we don't want them getting destroyed, and they're expensive!

Thanks,

Matteo

Use fences.. their no spawn radius is fairly low.. placed correctly they don't block any metal.

20170224124841_1_zpsrqvasdwa.jpg

20170224124921_1_zpsbx6nstin.jpg

No dinos will fall into your base. As for the dinos spawning inside your base... you cannot win.. they sometimes do. Not very often that happens in ours but it does.

Different angle...

20170224130328_1_zps9wtazyur.jpg

But doing the same on the south side of the plateau (facing skull island) would be impossible... metal ores on that side are just close to the edge.

A few more screenies for you... these walls were built ages ago. Pretty much all our server gets metal from this location..

Try the fences.. wait for metal to respawn.. correct it if it does block something.. even if you block one ore somewhere I don't think it will be such a drama.

20170224133729_1_zpstrzk9zgd.jpg

20170224133746_1_zpsbp2hkj3g.jpg

20170224133755_1_zpstmvd91fp.jpg

And this is the south side that it would be impossible to do if you had base there.. Metal is just too close to the edge.

20170224133811_1_zpslhsal8fl.jpg

Thank you for the additional screenshots. Yeah, I can see that you've still got metal spawning pretty close to those walls (it certainly looks less than the 12 tiles I saw in the testing video!) From memory I think the metal is pretty close to the edge where we've built our base but I'll have to check.

I guess the answer is to create a test server to try it out and see what happens. If the metal doesn't respawn then I'll use spike walls instead. I can't see any disadvantage of spikes (instead of walls) on PvE at the moment but that's probably because I've never tried them!

The most simple thing would be to stop playing on The Center. People here constantly complain about Dinos spawning in their bases. I saw multiple videos and gifs of Dinos randomly spawning in air in players bases, on their roofs and just in general proximity to players.

What I feel is that the Center mod guy just failed to do the spawns properly.

6 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

The most simple thing would be to stop playing on The Center. People here constantly complain about Dinos spawning in their bases. I saw multiple videos and gifs of Dinos randomly spawning in air in players bases, on their roofs and just in general proximity to players.

What I feel is that the Center mod guy just failed to do the spawns properly.

Mod guy is not given time to work on the Center map and it gets neglected compared to other two maps. It's still the best map out of three imho. I played 1.5k hours on the island.. then I moved to the Center and I was like.. wow :o The island is a boring map, the Center deserves more love from the other devs even though it's not their baby. They added it as an official map, but you shouldn't treat adopted child worse than your own.

4 minutes ago, Musketeer said:

Mod guy is not given time to work on the Center map and it gets neglected compared to other two maps. It's still the best map out of three imho. I played 1.5k hours on the island.. then I moved to the Center and I was like.. wow :o The island is a boring map, the Center deserves more love from the other devs even though it's not their baby. They added it as an official map, but you shouldn't treat adopted child worse than your own.

You're right. It should get more love. And it would be the better map. But right now, it's not.

Thanks both. I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that The Center is the problem because: (i) when I built the initial wall I didn't know what the spawn radius around walls was and it's easily possible that I left gaps which were too large; (ii) building a base underneath a cliff was always going to invite unwanted dinos to "drop in"; and (iii) I'm using the "big walls" mod and I have no idea if they affect spawns the same as normal walls. I will test the above and post my findings. I think The Center is a fascinating map and will be the most interesting to play until the Valhalla guys fix Valhalla or release Ragnarok (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=776464863).

I will also let you know how I get on with spike walls vs. normal walls!

Hi all,

So just to post the results of my testing. Spike walls make no difference to spawns. Normal wooden walls on fence foundations stop resource spawning up to 12 tiles away and stopped the metal nodes from coming back. 

I got around the problem by using walls from the "big wall" mod, which for some reason don't affect spawning. I have recently added structures+ so next I'll check if those walls affect spawning. 

Either way I now have a solution and no more wild dinos in the base (save for flyers). 

Archived