My Ark Story and The Problem No One Is Talking About...

Coupixel

2 minutes ago, Coupixel said:

After quite a bit of testing on my buddies unofficial server, I concluded that the only real way to down someone in full gear like that was the grenades. None of the Primitive gear you can make works worth a damn besides the grenades with that gear gap.

EDIT - And solid plan to take him down, haha!

Sounds about right, iirc the poison grenade ignores all armor. I still remember one of the most hilarious moments in my Ark time. A server I played on was getting completely wiped, tribe by tribe, by some chinese streamers. We were down to the last alpha tribe and I joined up with them to keep fighting until the chiense won. They were built on the northwest of volcano, down the path a bit and we'd bait the chinese in over and over. Well at one point we plotted to start caging them to start the onslaught and we managed to catch one with a bird, so we fly him and throw him in the base and try to trap him and throw a poison grenade down to knock him out. The guy throwing the poison grenade manages to drop it perfectly so that it knocks out every single person EXCEPT the chinese character whom manages to find a little hole in the base and escape out from under... As much as that sucked, still the most hilarious moment in my Ark time that I can remember xD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kahlinad said:

Sounds about right, iirc the poison grenade ignores all armor. I still remember one of the most hilarious moments in my Ark time. A server I played on was getting completely wiped, tribe by tribe, by some chinese streamers. We were down to the last alpha tribe and I joined up with them to keep fighting until the chiense won. They were built on the northwest of volcano, down the path a bit and we'd bait the chinese in over and over. Well at one point we plotted to start caging them to start the onslaught and we managed to catch one with a bird, so we fly him and throw him in the base and try to trap him and throw a poison grenade down to knock him out. The guy throwing the poison grenade manages to drop it perfectly so that it knocks out every single person EXCEPT the chinese character whom manages to find a little hole in the base and escape out from under... As much as that sucked, still the most hilarious moment in my Ark time that I can remember xD

That is rough! They are definitely dangerously powerful, hahaha!

On 30-12-2016 at 8:24 AM, Coupixel said:

The story...

So on the official server we decided to spawn in to on our first time in Ark, it is ruled with an iron fist by a tribe of Chinese people (not trying to be rude, it is) who have admitted to having over 6000 hours played. Wyverns, max every dino, the works. Stuff you definitely earn putting in that much time.

Then there's us. Fresh to the game, put in about 120 hours over a few weeks, not really knowing much about the game. The alpha is somewhat nice, comes over and tries to chat with us in broken English, gives us some gear to help us out, sweet! Random Saturday, I get a call that everything we spent about two weeks to build was destroyed in about 2 minutes. They brought over a wyvern and a poopload of rockets, blew the base to smithereens, and killed all of our dinos. Something that made me laugh (I realize it doesn't mean much) was that we specifically asked if there were rules we shouldn't break to live peacefully. We were told no gigas and no ankys. That's fine, we can live with that. That was the night prior to us being turned in to dust. Either right before or right after destroying our base, they dropped a vault on literally EVERY. SINGLE. DROP. There's no way to transfer our characters off the server. Hundreds of combined hours wasted unless we wanted to stay here...

At that point, every real life friend I had playing on the server left and started playing on unofficial or Primitive Plus servers. I decided to stay behind and try to be a thorn in their side, just as a fun game for myself. For about a week or so, I was trying to build "hidden" bases all around the map, but to no avail. The render distance glitch (PLEASE FIX THIS) allows them to find my hidden bases within a few hours of being built, and then they of course destroy them in minutes. I persevere, keep playing and having fun, trying to sneakily build up to a point where I can just commit some guerrilla warfare.

Queue tonight. I'm inside a pretty well hidden base below some very large trees, impossible to see from the air, you need to be at walking ground level. I never use fire or whatnot in the night, just trying to remain hidden. I walk out of my front door and wham, dude one hit KOs me, I got knocked TF OUT! Takes all my valuables and bounces. I laugh about it, nothing too bad that I can't replace. I wake up, rush inside and start remaking everything they took. About a minute later, all the trees around my base start falling down. They are lumberjacking the entire area to reveal my tiny base. It's time for war!

I sneak out my top hatch and start shooting tranq arrows from my crossbow right in to this dudes head. This goes on for about 2 minutes, I used about 20 of my tranq arrows, landing at minimum 10 arrows to his head, and a couple to his body as well. All the while, he is trying to shoot me with tranq darts, but missing like mad. As I load up my last tranq arrow, he lands  a single tranq dart on me, and I pass out immediately. I had been slowly eating stimberries trying to avoid that exact thing. When he lands a hit, my lowly 92 ptera goes after him. He force feeds me about 10 narcotics and proceeds to butcher my bird with his 323 ptera, then kills my 21 stego for good measure. As he is walking back towards me, I wake up and start sprinting for cover. Right about this time, two of his tribemates show up on max pteras and start dive bombing me, trying to scoop me up, all the while I'm dodging and firing off my pistol rounds at them. After numerous misses, one of them finally grabs me, floats slightly off the ground, tribemate whips out his prod, boom down for the count, narcotics ensue. They start talking mad smack about how good they are, bragging and putting their full ascendant flak / chitin gear on me and then taking it off. They build one of the cages and put me inside it, and start making spitting noises through the mic. Obviously smack talk goes back and forth, me mainly focusing on how terrible their aim is.

About 5 minutes later, I wake up and glitch outside the cage somehow and book it for the hills! All 3 of them start chasing me like mad men, shooting tranq darts, pistol rounds, and even a few rocket rounds (LOL!), all of which miss. Seriously guys, have you EVER played an FPS in your life? Finally, the inevitable happens, and I run out of stamina. One of them walks up behind me and prods me, boom down for the count again. New cage goes up, finally they get it right and I'm inside of it, wake up and can't do much, I'm their prisoner. After around 15 minutes of smack talk and knocking me out repeatedly, they whip out their trusty rocket launcher and blow my measly ass to pieces. I respawn and they are nowhere to be found, presumably off in one of their 5 (that I've seen) fully turreted skyscrapers that are littered all across the map. That's the end of the night for me, time to finally bite the bullet and reroll on a different server I suppose?

The problem...

Gear in Ark is absolutely insane. I realize in a game like this, putting that much effort in to getting your ascendant gear means it should be wildly powerful, but it is literally a full on replacement for any type of skill whatsoever. As I said in my story above, when I was dueling one of the alpha tribe with my tranq arrows and crossbow, I hit him in 10+ to the head and a few to the body to ZERO effect, and he manages to clip me a single time in the timeframe of about a minute. Their ascendant gear literally makes them gods among the entire server, of which every drop on the entire map is blocked off, and they have lvl200+ dinos guarding every cave to keep anyone from venturing in to those as well. This means there is absolutely no way to EVER become competitive with them. I'm honestly just curious if this is the intended game design for PvP server?

EDIT - Continuation of our story...

The continuation...

Tonight started slow. I logged on and began gathering some essentials for what I had planned. First step was a TON of wood to build a makeshift base that looked like a noob's starter base out in the open next to one of their bases. After that was done, a few of my real life friends that had heard my plans got interested and jumped on to help me gather the required materials. The next step was to finally place my fabricator that I had hidden for a few days (the Alpha tribe wipes anyone with a fabricator). A few metal/crystal runs later, we threw all the gathered materials in the fabricator and crafted 8 Poison Grenades.

The "noob base" mentioned earlier had a two door entryway that led in to a box with an opening on the top that was 4 stories tall, nothing fancy, but damn sure effective for what we had in store. We waited for about 30 minutes for a few of the Alpha tribe to log in, then started the trap.

We renamed the tribe to "Tribe of" and then the name of our bait noob player. She started talking in all chat asking for the Alpha tribe's help because "an alpha raptor spawned right in my base! :(". A few other people on the server took the bait and said they would come help, but we tried to play it off like someone already did and died (one of our tribemates left the tribe then started talking in all chat).

About 10 minutes in, a random group of two guys ambushes our bait who was standing outside the base and took all her stuff (nothing important) which initiated a battle between a few of us and the two running away on a raft. One of them ended up getting punched out, we drug him in to the base and tried to explain to him what we were doing, but he wasn't really interested, so he just kept trying to be a pain and ruin it. A few minutes later, our prisoner's duo shows up trying to break him out, so a battle broke out, which ended with his demise pretty quickly.

However, during this short battle, the Alpha tribe showed up and saw us fighting, and quickly tranq'd our bait player who had respawned, and started chasing one of our other players around the base. After a few laps around the base (it was pitch black), he got in side the base and hid behind the door, waiting for our ambush. The Alpha tribe member was a bit suspicious and chucked a few grenades in, waited a few seconds, then peaked his head in. Our player in the poison pit slams the door behind him, and the Alpha member frantically tries to escape.

It's too late, I have already thrown four Poison Grenades in to the pit. If real life emotions were transferred in to the game, those Poison Grenades probably would have knocked down the walls! My heart is racing. I hear our member in the pit scream "YES! HE'S DOWN!" and we all start shouting in the Skype call with excitement. Then my heart stops, and I see my torpor meter going up too. I pass out up top. I did a lot of testing with the grenades prior to this, and if they are not thrown correctly, they bounce HIGH, I'm talking 10-20 feet. I assume one of the four I lobbed had actually wanted to be a bouncing betty land mine instead. A few seconds later, our bait player outside the base wakes up, runs inside, strips the gear off of the Alpha tribe member, and runs like the freaking wind in to the forest and disappears.

Before I can wake up, our prisoner wakes up, comes upstairs, and strips all my gear, including my remaining narcotics and poison grenades, and jumps down. poop! It all happened so fast we had completely forgotten about him. He was in the middle of a cage, but they are so damn glitchy that he woke up outside of it. Once I finally wake up, I look over the ledge and see the Alpha tribe member and our prisoner fighting. I demolish one of our upper walls and try to make a break for the woods, followed closely by one of our other tribe members. No go, the Alpha tribe has arrived in full force with multiple wyverns and a few max pteras. We both got picked up and carried back to the beach, tranq'd, and caged.

We are dying of laughter at this point. A player with 6000+ hours played is completely naked with none of the gear he has worked so hard to get, and they are talking poop and spitting on our bodies over the mic. News flash: We played for 3 hours, and one of your Alpha members is naked. Who really wins that trade?

At this point, we start debating if we should use the gear we just swiped from them to continue our warfare, or destroy it. Using the stack of new tranq darts we had acquired to potentially get even more off of the Alpha tribe seemed like a blast, but it would be an uphill battle against all of those wyverns, and dying meant they got it all back. We choose the safer, more damaging option; we dropped it all, and waited in the forest until it all despawned. (Screenshots!) Once it despawned, our bait character (who just so happens to be my amazing wife) ran back to the beach and started laughing hysterically at them. They tranq her and put her in a cage next to us.

The next 15 or so minutes were an absolute riot. They continually tried to cage us, but we'd constantly wake up outside the cage. Every time we woke up, we would start throwing hands, completely naked, at these full ascendant wearing characters. The funniest part? They are such complete trash at aiming that multiple times, we knocked out one of their members before they got us knocked out again. At one point, myself and a tribemate both woke up outside a cage at the same time and went after the nearest Alpha, and we ended up knocking him out, stripping his gear, and running for the forest. I got a good distance in to the forest before a max ptera picked me up. I immediately opened my inventory and started dropping every piece of colored gear I could see, which including a few more ascendant pieces, as he was flying at warp speed back to the cages! (sorry, happened too fast, no screenshots for those) 

When we get back to the cages, we see two things, one funnny, and one that is pretty disturbing. The funny thing is that the person who ambushed us and ruined our plan that easily could have ended with multiple of the alpha tribe losing all their gear, was also in a cage next to us, in handcuffs, screaming at them.

The disturbing thing? The Alpha tribe is taking turns drugging my wife's character, pulling her out of the cage, and eRaping a video game model. What? Seriously? All of us wake up around this time to see it, and basically make the decision that they are actually legitimate sociopaths, if not downright disturbed as people, and get a few more good laughs at their absolute lack of skills (which 6000+ hours played can't even overcome!), and log off. We had all agreed that after we did some damage to roll on a new server anyways.

About an hour after this had all happened, we all log in to see just how dedicated they are at keeping us prisoners. All of our survivors had been killed. Except one... My wife's. These disgusting people carried my wife's character back to their base and put her in a room with a bed in it, handcuffed, WITH AC UNITS, and her character was fully fed and hydrated. Words cannot describe how absolutely mortified I am that people like this actually exist on this planet.

See the screenshots of the gear deletion here: http://imgur.com/a/FX8lp

FIN STORY.

We're all planning on finding a new server to have some fun on, hopefully one not ruled by sociopathic Chinese people who have more time in this game than real life over the last year. Tonight is definitely going down in our history books as amazing gaming moments. What an absolute blast!

Happy new year everyone.

20161231214509_1.jpg

20161231214836_1 small.jpg

Server?

On 1/2/2017 at 3:37 AM, Lethex said:

I can help, I'll invade with my alpha tribe?

Hey Lethex! As stated above, it is official server 296, which is run by the Alpha tribe Mercy. If you've got a tribe with a few good players, you could definitely take them out. The only reason they are able to remain Alpha is how ruthless they are. Weekly wipes, wipe if you progress too far (stone with fabricator seems like instawipe), etc... But absolutely no skill. They can't shoot for a damn and have absolutely no strategy. Most of their bases are just massive cubes surrounded by turrets, but they do have quote a few all around the map.

Definitely hit me up if you're planning on raiding them, I would love to be a part of that!

4 hours ago, Coupixel said:

Hey Lethex! As stated above, it is official server 296, which is run by the Alpha tribe Mercy. If you've got a tribe with a few good players, you could definitely take them out. The only reason they are able to remain Alpha is how ruthless they are. Weekly wipes, wipe if you progress too far (stone with fabricator seems like instawipe), etc... But absolutely no skill. They can't shoot for a damn and have absolutely not strategy. Most of their bases are just massive cubes surrounded by turrets, but they do have quote a few all around the map.

Definitely hit me up if you're planning on raiding them, I would love to be a part of that!

How much hours do you. And your buddy have in ark?

What a great GREAT story!!  Thank you for sharing that.  The part with the wife ... not surprised but honestly, I can't just blame the Chinese for this one.  Just do a search on youtube for DayZ with a similar topic keyword and you'll see what I mean.  There are sociopaths everywhere and it scares me to no end that I could be riding in the bus next to them and not realize they let loose their weirdness on the interwebs like that.  (May still be worth reporting them though - it may not have phased you but I certainly would not want kids to be witness to that kind of crazy.)

Your story is making me wanting to go back to official after my 3 or so months hiatus to unofficial since the stupid server transfers.  But you are doing it right - no way for small tribes / solo players to make it on official.  But to be a ghost ...

HOLY CRAP I just read it was 296 and the alpha tribe is MERCY.  I was on that server!!  House of Ronin.  Same treatment - met with the leader a few times, I did not talk to him, I just ran into him while I was taming etc.  He gave me a masetrcraft sword bp.  Despite attempts by others on the server to recruit me to their cause (it may have been you????) I declined since I was not fully built out.  I even witnessed them raiding a neighbor (named "Revenge") and could do nothing.  Two days later, my entire base is wiped.

But if I recall, there was really only one or two of them left in Mercy and anyone else were in other Chinese tribes.  Mercy had their main base in the NE between the green OB and Fars Peak / Frozen Tooth.  The other Chinese tribe (named "[][][[]" lol so I have no idea) was in Southern Islets in the last tributary before stonehenge - at the base of the larger metal mountain in the Southern Islets.

This is hilarious.  I feel like going back to 296 just to join what resistance remains.

23 minutes ago, theronin said:

What a great GREAT story!!  Thank you for sharing that.  The part with the wife ... not surprised but honestly, I can't just blame the Chinese for this one.  Just do a search on youtube for DayZ with a similar topic keyword and you'll see what I mean.  There are sociopaths everywhere and it scares me to no end that I could be riding in the bus next to them and not realize they let loose their weirdness on the interwebs like that.  (May still be worth reporting them though - it may not have phased you but I certainly would not want kids to be witness to that kind of crazy.)

Your story is making me wanting to go back to official after my 3 or so months hiatus to unofficial since the stupid server transfers.  But you are doing it right - no way for small tribes / solo players to make it on official.  But to be a ghost ...

Thanks for the kind words!

I definitely did not mean to insinuate that the weird Unicorn scene was only Chinese people, I know all nationalities have crazies.

19 minutes ago, theronin said:

HOLY CRAP I just read it was 296 and the alpha tribe is MERCY.  I was on that server!!  House of Ronin.  Same treatment - met with the leader a few times, I did not talk to him, I just ran into him while I was taming etc.  He gave me a masetrcraft sword bp.  Despite attempts by others on the server to recruit me to their cause (it may have been you????) I declined since I was not fully built out.  I even witnessed them raiding a neighbor (named "Revenge") and could do nothing.  Two days later, my entire base is wiped.

But if I recall, there was really only one or two of them left in Mercy and anyone else were in other Chinese tribes.  Mercy had their main base in the NE between the green OB and Fars Peak / Frozen Tooth.  The other Chinese tribe (named "[][][[]" lol so I have no idea) was in Southern Islets in the last tributary before stonehenge - at the base of the larger metal mountain in the Southern Islets.

This is hilarious.  I feel like going back to 296 just to join what resistance remains.

I'm actually pretty sure we saw a few of your ruins hanging around right when we started up. We've only been on the server for a few weeks, but I'm pretty sure we're done with official for now. We want to play the game with supply drops and such, so we're starting up our own cluster servers.

From what we've seen and heard on the server, there was a few other Chinese tribes who were allied with Mercy before, but all of them either left or joined with Mercy. The base next to Stonehenge is still there, but is owned by Mercy now. The NE base next to the Obi is still there as well. They have a massive base on the NW Iceberg, and a few other extremely large bases scattered around the map as well.

There is honestly no resistance at this point. From what we saw, after we were able to despawn two of their players ascendant gear, they went around and completely wiped the server, even destroying wooden rafts, thatch bases, the works.

I'm not surprised they decided to do that.  Just remembering back now I can count at least 3 disparate tribes that were waging guerrilla warfare against them.  I should have joined them.

I'd be curious about your unofficial if you are opening it up to people outside of your circle of friends.  But I may just round a few friends up to wage some guerrilla on 296.  Your "unicorn story" makes for a very easy pitch LOL.

[edit]  And don't get me wrong - I wasn't suggesting you were insinuating.  For Ark, it's mostly 99.99% Chinese taking over.  For DayZ, it's more of a multicultural grief lol.

Great write-up.  Stumbled across this after random googling on 296 / Mercy after logging in last night to find they had wiped our various (small) bases -- eradicating smithies. fabricators, even a vault.  They were kind enough to leave the beds, so I could easily survey the ruins.

I spent a few hours running around the desolation in a loincloth, and was on the verge of transferring to another server.   May have to stick around a while to see if I can help be a pain in the ass of panda etc., however.  PM me if you and Lethex pull something together.

On 1/3/2017 at 4:38 PM, theronin said:

I'm not surprised they decided to do that.  Just remembering back now I can count at least 3 disparate tribes that were waging guerrilla warfare against them.  I should have joined them.

I'd be curious about your unofficial if you are opening it up to people outside of your circle of friends.  But I may just round a few friends up to wage some guerrilla on 296.  Your "unicorn story" makes for a very easy pitch LOL.

[edit]  And don't get me wrong - I wasn't suggesting you were insinuating.  For Ark, it's mostly 99.99% Chinese taking over.  For DayZ, it's more of a multicultural grief lol.

The forum auto filters a certain word to unicorn, which I had no idea about, haha!

Our server is called PvPerfect, but it appears that not many people are actually wanting to play on it so far, just our circle of friends waging war on eachother. Definitely let me know if you plan on sticking around on 296. We can take them down pretty easily if we get a few people together.

20 hours ago, XyL said:

Great write-up.  Stumbled across this after random googling on 296 / Mercy after logging in last night to find they had wiped our various (small) bases -- eradicating smithies. fabricators, even a vault.  They were kind enough to leave the beds, so I could easily survey the ruins.

I spent a few hours running around the desolation in a loincloth, and was on the verge of transferring to another server.   May have to stick around a while to see if I can help be a pain in the ass of panda etc., however.  PM me if you and Lethex pull something together.

I am honestly debating sticking around to keep annoying them. We completely wiped Banana's gear, and got one of the other members best gear despawned as well. Now we just need to kill a few Wyverns ;).

Last time I was on, it was literally just Panda in Mercy and another [][[]][[ guy with a large base presence in Southern Islets at the base of the larger metal mountain near the coast.  There would another []]][][] guy from Mercy that came on now and then but not often.  Did they strengthen their ranks or something?

What you might have seen of my base (House of Ronin) was a stone pvp arena.  The one Panda went after was all metal at the tip of that peninsula in the Southern Islets.

21 hours ago, theronin said:

Last time I was on, it was literally just Panda in Mercy and another [][[]][[ guy with a large base presence in Southern Islets at the base of the larger metal mountain near the coast.  There would another []]][][] guy from Mercy that came on now and then but not often.  Did they strengthen their ranks or something?

What you might have seen of my base (House of Ronin) was a stone pvp arena.  The one Panda went after was all metal at the tip of that peninsula in the Southern Islets.

Yeah, the ruins we saw were stone.

They have had at least 5 people since we started playing, which was about three weeks ago now. Panda can kind of speak English, but their other members (Banana and a few [][][] survivors) cannot.

The base at the bottom of the southern metal mountain is massive now. It has a huge bridge that goes across the river and connects it to another large base on the other bank.

Then there is their other 4-5 massive bases. NW Iceberg, both center pillars in the NE, volcano blocked off, very large base being built at red obi, East metal mountain next to Volcano blocked off, a base being built in the very center of the map, just north of the swamp... They're just taking everything of value.

On 12/30/2016 at 5:01 AM, GamerPerfection said:

I hope you find a good unofficial server. I believe they are the future of ARK tbh.

Problem with that is the host becomes the superpower no matter what if they decide they want to. I have only enjoyed myself on official servers, because besides what has been accumulated since the games launch by these alphas, it's the only place with guaranteed equal footing, and no one typically will have an advantage over you unless they worked for it in some way

On 12/30/2016 at 2:01 AM, GamerPerfection said:

I hope you find a good unofficial server. I believe they are the future of ARK tbh.

Wow I can't believe a mod said that! I commend you on your honesty and straightforwardness. Unfortunately I believe you are right. I wish it wasn't so but you are right. Thank you again

3 hours ago, Atherium said:

Problem with that is the host becomes the superpower no matter what if they decide they want to. I have only enjoyed myself on official servers, because besides what has been accumulated since the games launch by these alphas, it's the only place with guaranteed equal footing, and no one typically will have an advantage over you unless they worked for it in some way

Sorry man gotta disagree with you. There is no equal footing in officials. I don't see why you think there is. Or are you just saying it's equal footing because no player has admin capabilities? If that's what you mean then yes I agree with you. Any other meaning I would definitely disagree with

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, Atherium said:

I'm never becoming the super power on my server, I play as normal like everyone else. There may be some bad eggs out there, but best not to label all server admins the same.

Archived