Scorched Earth Wind Turbines

HalfUnder

Someone on reddit did a large amount of science on the turbines and the times they turn off apparently all occur at the same time.  So the time an 85% goes off is in the same blackout period as a 65%, just the 65% lasts longer, same for all the other zones as well so even having 2 turbines, each on its own wind zone at a border area doesnt really help at all.  Ideally the best way to do it is to have your base in a 100% wind area.  If you can do that, then you can also still install a generator for backup just in case and just enable the auto power on feature.  I have found with that even with a turbine in a 100% zone there have been times it bugged out and didnt turn on right away, so the generator kicked on and did work for a little bit. Seems to occur most after our server reboots or an electrical storm hits.

Our base is at green obelisk on the far side of it closest to that area that heads into the dunes.  It worked out perfect that I was able to get a turbine just into the dunes wind area (100%) then run cables over to the house from there and our fridges are juuuuusstt within reach before the 29 foundation length limit.

As for the other poster up there talking about 9358245924 A/C units, not sure WHERE people get this idea from.  You cannot stop the generator damage at all except by turning it off.  The devs said the damage REPRESENTS heat/environmental damage but its not something you can stop or alter.  The heat thing is just their 'backstory' for why generators take daamge on scorched.

If your generator is out of render distance for everybody, it wont take damage.  So if your entire tribe is logged off and no one else on the server is near your base, its daamge will halt.

Other then that, if you don't have a super high wind area then you might as well just use a generator and repair it when you login and before you logout for the night.  Since WC gave us an auto ON option but not an auto OFF option the generator will just end up flipping on enough every game day that you wont really save much in the way of time or resources unless you are in a high wind zone.

• 4 months later...
On 9/5/2016 at 9:50 PM, DeathLord said:

you need to try a little harder i was able to snap 5 to a power line so far and they work but there is still to much down time for me,
so much it drove me to make an ice box for my generator on a single player server (3x3x2) with the generator in the middle surrounded by 60 AC units and then i added a 2nd floor and left a hole above the generator and stuck 40 more AC up top for 100 AC units in a 3x3x2 and still not enough to cool the generator enough to stop it form taking damage. guess SE is just that much more suited for troll tribes to off line raid and kill all your tames.

Generators degrade because of atmospheric dust, not heat. ACs have no effect on them whatsoever

On 9/26/2016 at 0:37 PM, LegendEternal said:

There is a limit for turbines. They will only transmit power for 29 cable lengths. 

I keep reading this but I swear to you I ran 37 straight cables after I ran 4 certical cables up from my 100% wind turbine and it was working. I scrapped it to make it look more neat and then I couldn't get it to power passed 15 cabled. I had to scrap everything including the turbine and then replace everything. I was again able to run 37. I have noticed though that after about 29 cables the wire is no longer yellow. All you have to do is unrender the turbine and cables and come back and they will all be powered.

This is on PS4 official

On 9/2/2016 at 7:21 AM, HalfUnder said:

Yeah I'm in an area that's got 65% wind so I'm not sure if that's enough or not. It's easy to figure out the wind amount though. Just open your inventory and under your stats on the right there will be a percentage followed by a W. 

That means that wind is only available 65% of the time and you need a generator when the wind isnt there. Its confusing but the generator will be on 35% of the time and will have to be in with the turbine all interconnected. Also keep electronics and metal around as they get damaged and need repaired often.

Archived