ASA Dedicated Server Won't Load Exe

Habinero

I followed a typical guide for setting up a server using SteamCMD and It wont load or launch the exe. I've coppied the files from the server machine to my gaming rig and It boots up just fine on that. going in reverse still no dice.

The Server Machine I want to run it on is fairly old, Win10Pro 22H2, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz with only 16GB of DDR3. 120gb ssd and a 500GB HDD

I've gone through a few troubleshooting attempts that include, Installing Steam and the tools version of a dedicated server. Installing the game, which also does not load. Being Online and Offline. Having the files on the SSD vs HDD. Several configurations of the .bat file for starting(again, slap it on my game rig and it runs fine) after all that ended up nuking the system and its currently on a fresh install of windows.

Windows was installed > Updates > SteamCMD > DirectX > C++Packages > Followed steps to create a server. After all this, the result is the same as before.

The .bat file loads in command prompt for a few seconds, closes and only though the task manager did i notice the Exe file apear then disapear right away.

If anyone has any insight, would greatly apreciate it. Im getting to the end of my troubleshooting knowledge base. learning how/if event viewer will help me at all currently.

Original Thread over on steam https://steamcommunity.com/app/2399830/discussions/0/4036978698789351409/

Hey, I suggest you to use the server manager I created, it will help you deal with lots of difficult or confusing stuff.
The best way to go would possibly be to create a new server trough the tool, start the server up. And later on import the settings you want.
https://haruhost.com/ark-ascended-server-manager

Judging from the issue that the server just closes, did you try removing all the mods and running the server? The thing is some mods don't play nice with server settings made by users and cause the server to crash. We had at least 3 cases like that.

Then the other solution is to check whether you have the prerequisites installed which is visual stuff 2015 wiki states 2013 but for me I needed 2015. However that usually shows a visual error.

The last thing would be to install and launch the ark game on the server PC, not sure if you did. Because technically when you install the game you also install the programs required to run your server from inside the game.

Edited by haruhost

Appreciate the suggestion for your app, I'll check it out once im able to actually run a server.

The server is fresh, no mods, no fluff. just trying to get it to launch. I did install ALL years of the C++ and the DirectX2010 per the wiki page, without those i got a runtime error.

I have not yet installed Steam on the fresh install of windows, didn't make a difference before I wiped Windows, trying other things first. 

Current .bat file

start ArkAscendedServer.exe TheIsland_WP?listen?SessionName=ArkServer?MaxPlayers=70?QueryPort=27015?RCONPort=27021?RCONEnabled=True?ServerPassword=1111?ServerAdminPassword=1112

- The catch is, I can copy all the files over to my Gaming Rig and The server will boot, run, and is playable. so I know its not a config issue. The "ArkAscendedServer.exe" will show up on Task Manager for a second and disapear. The windows event manager throws out a 1000 and 1005 error code. which has led me down a rabbit hole of reinstalls of .Netframework, doing sfc scans, redownloading updates, adding and removing windows features, clean boots, all with no affect.

The Server Rig isnt qualified for Win11 but I have seen some workarounds for that. thats my next rabbit hole

19 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Errors 1000 and 1005 can be caused by a corrupt HD/SSD.

That was one of the thoughts, currently installed a new SSD and moving all steam/ark related things there. If the issue stems from the system drive files, not sure if i want to try to move the OS drive over. All Chkdsk and scans can't find any issues with any of the drives though. And it seems only ASA related exe files wont open.

I'm running an ASA server on Win 11 Pro 22H2.

You could try    
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth                     to check the Windows' system files, and
steamcmd.exe +force_install_dir "\ASA\ShooterGame" +login anonymous +app_update 2430930 validate +quit         to check the ASA installation.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased a $100 refurb mini PC - Ryzen 5 2400GE @3.2Ghz, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Win10Pro64 22H2

TL:DR: I can run it on that

Played on for an hour or so. 1 person on the server it feels just fine. As long as I dont get shafted by proprietary RAM when I upgrade it I probably wont look back. just a shame though, no real reason it had to be this way.